Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lupus and Menopause

Thanks

Default Lupus and Menopause

I have read conflicting statements regarding Menopause and Lupus. Dr. Wallace's book states: "The onset of menopause is associated with milder disease."

Has anyone found this to be true?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

While there may be general rules for Lupus there is nothing set in stone.Just as each person is different, each persons disease is different. I was initially told that I would have a milder form of the disease due to my age and that turned out not to be true while many younger people end up with mild forms of the disease even though they are in the "prime age group".

There are only a few certainties when it comes to Lupus. A) There is no cure (natural or otherwise). Giving up meds for "Natural cures" is the fastest way to die from this disease. B) taking your meds and following your doctors advice (if you have a competitant doctor) is the only way to keep the disease under control. Other than that we all learn that our disease is as individual as we are
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Nicole (12-13-2012)

Thanks

I am sorry, that I have to dampen your hopes.
    I was diagnosed in 2006 at age 50 and have anything BUT a mild case. Things have gotten much worse the last year or so.
    My diagnosis in 2006 was Lupus SLE, a year later they added RA and this year Sjogrens.
    My rheumy even said the opposite, the older you are when you are dx, chances are that you have had the disease for a long time, without being dx, that way it had more time to do damage. That makes sense too.
    I hope in your case, it is milder, because of the menopause.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

Nicole (12-13-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by debbie-b View Post
    ... My rheumy even said the opposite, the older you are when you are dx, chances are that you have had the disease for a long time, without being dx, that way it had more time to do damage...
    That's been my experience too, though I'm immune to menopause of the usual manner...
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

steve.b (12-11-2012)

Thanks

The way your body handles the disease is as individual as you are! You get conflicting answers because it depends on the person. These forums are great for a lot of things, like ideas and things to look out for, but cannot be used to predict the disease since we all have different "triggers". If you are wondering how your body will react at menopause, think about how your body reacts to your hormones now. It so happens for me (but not for everyone, like they used to believe) that estrogen (and/or chemicals associated with the reproductive process) is one of my biggest triggers. We know that because my flares follow my menstrual cycle. I am hoping that means menopause will be helpful in my case. So ask yourself how your cycle affects your symptoms now and that may give you some clues as to how it will react once your cycle stops. Hope this helps!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Teaberry For This Useful Post:

Nicole (12-13-2012)

Thanks

Nicole,
    I started having AI symptoms that were really noticeable at about age 50. Many docs have tried to brush off my symptoms as just being part of menopause, especially sleep problems, GERD, etc.
    I'm now 55 and I seem to be coming to the end of menopause - 9 months without a cycle and counting!
    I do think that I'm feeling less flares now that I'm no longer having hormonal swings - yay.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Marla,

I am glad to hear that you are finding some improvement after menopause. With all the challenges Lupus brings there can always be hope that it can get better! Thanks everyone for sharing.

Thanks

Commenting on this thread must have jinxed me! After eight months without a cycle, I got one on Dec. 21.
    This menopause thing is just taking too long. What's next? Nine months and then a cycle?
    I went back to restless nights and night sweats for three nights, then they went away again.
    Ah, hormones!
    Hugs,
    Marla

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Poor Marla!!!! So sorry!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magistramarla View Post
    Nicole,
    I started having AI symptoms that were really noticeable at about age 50. Many docs have tried to brush off my symptoms as just being part of menopause, especially sleep problems, GERD, etc.
    I'm now 55 and I seem to be coming to the end of menopause - 9 months without a cycle and counting!
    I do think that I'm feeling less flares now that I'm no longer having hormonal swings - yay.
    Hugs,
    Marla
    Well, you COULD be pregnant with 9 months between cycles!

Marla? Marla? Are you there? Did you lose consciousness at the mere suggestion of being prego? Yeah, I'd be THAT shocked, too, if it were me! ;-)