Thread: Hello all from New York City...........happy holidays......

Thanks

Default Hello all from New York City...........happy holidays......

My name is Izzy and I am new here wishing all of you happy holidays and praying for everyone on here..........I was recently given the ANA blood test and the results were a titer of 1:640.......POSITIVE.......I currently DO NOT have any symptoms or signs of Lupus I do have Hypothyrodism for several years and I am taking 125 MCG of Levothyroxine for that..........is it possible that I have Lupus just don't have any symptoms yet? Or is the positive result from another disease? Also I do take a lot of supplements/vitamins/herbs is it possible that I tested positive because of something I am taking? I read where you can have drug induced Lupus from certain medications. And also saw the amino acids Lysine and Arginine mentioned in the same sentence with drug induced would love some help?

Thank you,

Izzy

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi there and welcome to WHL!

A positive ANA does not mean that you have Lupus. Many people have a positive ANA that don't have Lupus or another AutoImmune Disease (AI Disease). There is actually no single test for Lupus. A lupus diagnosis is made when a combination of different bloodwork and symptoms come together and there is nothing else to explain them (there is actually a "sticky" in one of the sections called "criteria for diagnosing Lupus").

When Lupus or other AI diseases are suspected and an ANA test is run. If it comes out positive it tells the doctor that they may want to do some looking in that area. It does not, however, diagnose any disease since even healthy people can have a positive ANA at certain times in their lives. Sometimes it can be something as simple as an infection in your body although it does usually indicate that your immune system is misdirecting its efforts.

the ANA test is simply a starting point for doctors. If you are having health issues they will most likely begin looking at your auto immune system for answers but that will require many other tests and an evaluation of your symptoms

hope that answered your question
    Last edited by tgal; 12-08-2012 at 04:05 PM.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (12-10-2012)

Thanks

Hi Izzy,

If your hypothyroidism is caused by antibodies that are attacking your thyroid, it can cause your ANA to be elevated. It is a thyroid disease called Hashimotos and it a common cause of hypothyroidism. I have that condition in addition to Lupus. It is found by a blood test that detects antibodies against your thyroid and is something that is measured separately from your TSH level.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nicole For This Useful Post:

jolynnhughes (12-09-2012), Saysusie (12-10-2012), tgal (12-08-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,211 Posts

Nicole is right. It too is autoimmune.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello and Welcome. You have already been given great advice/answers from Tgal and Nicole, I just wanted to make sure that I also welcomed you to our family!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!