Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little lost; A little confused, but happy to find this place :)

Thanks

Default A little lost; A little confused, but happy to find this place :)

Hello to all
    My name is Blu. I was diagnosed with SLE in late 2009. I woke up one day with a severe case of Edema in my legs and feet. I didn't know what Edema was until the first of many hospital visits, I thought I just had some really weird swelling. I was feverish and had joint pain. I went to the ER several times and was tested for everything.. well, apparently not "everything". I finally found a GP that would take my insurance after about a month of being sick and pretty darn confused. He ran a battery of tests, not telling me what they were at the time. He said he had a "feeling" and went with it. Two other people at the clinic agreed with him on his "feeling". One month later I was called into his office and told I had Lupus. I was like : "I have what??". From that moment on my life became a very confusing and uncertain reality. I ended up on Prednisone and using a walker. I am a dancer, artist and performer, so this was a blow, to say the least. I was last told I was in Remission, or at least the Disease had become inactive.

During that time, the only Rhuematologist I ever saw wanted to hospitalize me immediately; until my insurance was run through their hospital. Then I was told I had no AI whatsoever and was sent away. My GP was pissed. He mumbled all sorts of things while frantically taking notes about it. He continued to treat me and said it was an unfortunate fact in the DFW area, that many people on my type of insurance (medicaid) were treated that way. So, I of course started doubting again, and questioning whether or not the diagnosis was right. Anyway, I moved away, and being that I was better, I stopped my medications. I've been fine for over a year now. Until recently. I've started feeling some of the familiar joint, bone and muscle pains and what I was told is "Lupus Fog/ Brain Fog". I have a lot of faith in the Dr. that diagnosed me. He is renowned in the Dallas area and has achieved Physician of the Year here in Texas, a few times. He treated me for over a year for Lupus and has been steadfast about holding to his original DX. I'm unsure of what to do now. I honestly tried to "forget" it ever happened, but I just don't think that's going to work. Okay, so now that I've introduced myself with a ridiculously long letter, how about I meet some of you? lol. Any thoughts, advice and/or stories are welcome. More like, needed! Thanks to whomever endured this ^ thing I wrote
    ~ Peace, Blu (StarPhire)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Before I begin let me welcome you to the WHL family! We are very glad that you found us

sadly, yours is a story we hear all too often. Too many doctors do not understand Lupus and do not understand that a) there is no single test for the disease and b) that our test results can go from normal to abnormal on any given day. It sounds to me like your original doctor was right on the money and you need to follow his advice.

Most likely the reason you went into a period of decreased disease activity is because of the meds you were on. They were doing their job. Going off off them is most likely why you may not feel as well now. Lupus does not go away. He can be controlled. It can go into inactive periods but it doesn't go away.

Please go back to your doctor and get on your meds. Don't let this disease get out of hand. It can be very dangerous if that happens.

you are now a part of our family and we will be here with you on this journey. Feel free to ask any questions that you have. Vent, cry, rant or simply talk. That is what we are here for. Weekends are a bit quiet around here so don't be discouraged if you don't get many responses. More people are here during the week and they will go through and see the posts they missed.

I look forward to getting to know you and don't forget, you are not alone
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (12-10-2012)

Thanks

BLU i JUST WANT TO SAY A PRAYER FOR YOU AND WISH YOU HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND i PRAY YOU GET BETTER asap...........FROM nyc.........

iZZY

Thanks

Hi Blu,

Welcome to the board. As Mari said, I hope you can get back to your doctor and start taking your medicine again. I think it is easier to keep Lupus under control if you do it before you get real sick.

That is neat that you are a dancer. I hope you are still dancing and performing. Sounds like fun.

Nicole

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

hi blu,

yes lupus can go into remission.
    i had just over 12 months of next to no activity.
    unfortunatelly i also have had it come back again.

please seek your doctors advice.
    lupus without medication is dangerous.
    lupus with medication, should be able to be controlled.

you trust the doctor.....
    go seek his advice.

Thanks

welcome to whl family hugs kim

Thanks

Thanks so much to everyone. Unfortunately I moved away from the Dallas area over a year ago. I'm back home in Austin, so I can't go back to the Dr. I had before. I have decided to seek out a Rheumatologist here, though, and very soon. I have had a hell of a time with all of this, and it is so nice to have people understand where I'm at.I had very little support during the time I needed it most. Honestly at times I was treated quite badly by my ex and his family because I was "lazy" ; I didn't look sick to them, or fit their idea of what a person with Lupus should (?) be, I suppose. I'm surrounded by a much better support system now ( and I found y'all ). I'm not really looking forward to starting all of this over again, frankly I'm quite scared of the whole thing. I've never been one to go to doctors or take meds ; I've studied Herbalism for many years, but it's very difficult to track downs herbs that suppress the immune system, safely anyway. I am contacting my insurance co this week to help locate a rheumatologist, and hopefully will be able to get back on track very soon.

Nicole, nope, lol, Prednisone took care of that for me! I'm in better shape now, but still have a ways to go. It's only been in the very recent months that I've been considering stage again.. we will see
    Thanks again! Peace ~ Blu

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve.b View Post
    hi blu,

yes lupus can go into remission.
    i had just over 12 months of next to no activity.
    unfortunatelly i also have had it come back again.

please seek your doctors advice.
    lupus without medication is dangerous.
    lupus with medication, should be able to be controlled.

you trust the doctor.....
    go seek his advice.
    Steve, may I ask, when it came back was it a slow process? As I had stated I just recently started having joint pain again, along with some bone pain and a general feeling of yuck. I'm sure it's different for everyone; I just want to hear from others what they have experienced.
    ~Blu

Thanks

Hi Blu! Welcome aboard. Do you mind sharing the name of your doctor? I too live in the DFW area, and I am looking for a new, good rheumatologist. I've been to two so far, and while I like certain things about each one, I'm not happy with either overall. It sounds like you were diagnosed pretty quickly. Trust me, that's a blessing. I'm still trying to get answers, and I've been sick for four years now.

Glad you found us, and I hope you get the help you need so that you can continue to practice your craft/passion.

Thanks

Hi Jolynn,
    I could swear I replied to 2 other people on this, but I don't see them, hmm. Well, the Rheum. clinic I went to was the one that sent me away (Plaza Rheumatology Clinic in Ft. Worth) - My doctor is was/is at a vlinic in Dallas off Ross. John Richmond. He has been practicing family medicine for a very long time and has achieved much recognition in TX. He was a great Doc. Explained everything very well and was very thorough. He works with many people with chronic illnesses so he may be able to help with finding someone. Best of luck to you!