Thread: questions about GI issues

Thanks

Default questions about GI issues

For the last month + I have had major issues with my gastrointestinal track. This is seperate from the chronic heartburn that I understand is due to esophagus inflammation. I know this is not from medication as when i began Plaquenil a yr ago this did wreak havoc on my belly until my system got used to it. I had my gall bladder removed in 98 and have sporatically had issues with diarrhea following large meals since, but again this is different. I have had severe pain in what I call my guts, diarrhea, what I refer to as "poop cramps," and not to be graphic, but stool that looks like mucus. I have read that GI problems are not uncommon in people with Lupus, but this is bordering on being what I would consider a severe issue. I do not see my rheumy until Jan. 4 and no longer have health insurance (i had to stop working in August due to the severity of my symptoms) so now only receiving 60% of my salary from long term disability, having the money for testing is not likely. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and to what severity and how it was treated. Thanks for your help!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

First let me welcome you to WHL. We are sorry that you need us but, since you do, we are glad that you are here.

As I am sure you know, and are concerned about, there are AI diseases that adfect your bowels however but you mentioned that you have Fibro IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) is actually a symptom of Fibro. that goes undiagnosed way too often. If you do a search here for bowels or diahrea you will find thread after thread on this topic.

There are meds that can help you deal with the symptoms. You might want to talk to your doctor about this
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

You might also want to work with your doctor and a qualified nutritionist to identify any possible food sensitivities that are adding to your trouble.

I'm sorry you are in pain!

Thanks

You should be careful if all you have is diarrhea, and it's been a few days, since a person can get dehydrated from it, and you also don't absorb nutrients (and meds) the way you should. If it's gone on for a few days, I'm with Mari & Sleepy, in that I'd call the gp or pcp and consult with them about it.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Thanks

welcome whl . i agree with mari irritable bowel is possibility also celiacs a number of us suffer from those here i have both and am constantly frequenting the bathroom. you must get your iron levels checked because going to bathroom frequently can affect them to . i would see gp as soon as possible.

Thanks

I have celiac disease, and the symptoms you describe are consistant with some manifestations of celiac (which is often misdiagnosed as IBS or gallbladder disease). Celiac appears more frequently to those with hashimotos and rheumatic diseases, it could be worth mentioning to your doctor and having a celiac blood panel done... any GP can do it. Don't eliminate gluten (wheat, rye, barley) from your diet until you've been tested - if you choose to test that is.

Hope you feel better.
    Nicole S

Acceptance is the key to happiness.

ITP - 1993
    Celiac - 2012
    Hashimoto's - 2012

CANADIAN