Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When You're Bored & On the Couch

Thanks

Default When You're Bored & On the Couch

I am sure we all have those days where you're pretty much stuck on your couch due to fatigue or pain. So, what do you all do to combat the boredom that comes with being housebound? I'm facing a long weekend stuck on my couch, and I start to feel really depressed when I'm not actively Doing Things. I know that part of it is that I need to get used to my new, less-active life. But if this is part of my new normal, I want to at least enjoy myself as best I can.

So, what do you do when you're stuck on the couch?

I'll start-- For me, I've tried knitting (when my hands don't hurt), watching old TV shows on Hulu, and reading magazines.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

When i am feeling up to it I play words with friends and song pop on my IPhone! I often times have a hard time reading which is sad since I used to be an avid reader!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hulu is great. I don't subscribe to their pay "plus" service, but there are still all sorts of good shows there, and a good movie from time to time, all for free.

I supplement my fixed income by building models and miniatures on a commission basis for various collectors and museums. There's some intricate design and construction involved, tasks I can't really do when I'm stuck on the couch with brainfog.

But, there's also a bunch of repetetive hard to screw up tasks required as well, and I do those tasks on my bad days. I can't do the rigging and sails on a schooner model when I'm in a flare, but I can use a file to clean up the casting seams on the hundreds of pewter fittings that will eventually be used on the model. Last week's flare project was to sit down with a special pair of pliers (on the couch) and punch out a few hundred portholes from a small sheet of brass for a lighted model of the starship Enterprise I'm building for a customer.

I also read quite a bit when I'm stuck on the couch. Some fiction, but mostly non-fiction history subjects and technical manuals.

When I'm not doing those things, I sleep, or at least I try to sleep.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 11-23-2012 at 04:15 PM.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. In the past when I was couch-bound, my Dad would come over and we'd play the board game Axis and Allies.

However, after a few attempts at playing, I found that brainfog really cuts into one's ability to ruthlessly achieve world domination...

Thanks

I watch cooking shows - The Chew, Rachael Ray, Good Eats, The Barefoot Contessa, Paula Deen, and almost anything else on the Food Network.

I'm a political junkie, so I'm coming down from the high of the last few months of watching the polls and pundits every day.

I've finished crocheting the baby blanket for Maya, my new grand-daughter, and now I've started on one for Tom and Sharon's baby.

I also love to read - mostly science fiction, but I also love period mysteries about ancient Rome by Steven Saylor and Lindsey Davis.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

for me, my computer has been my friend.

somedays would spend 10 plus hours playing nice slow basic games.
    and of course on here talking to you good folk !!!!!!!!!!!!

my computer time was actually one of the things my wife detested.
    but for me it was 1 way i was in control.
    i may not be able to do any work around the place........
    but i could still operate the computer.

Thanks

Thanks, all, for these great ideas. Thank god I have a laptop and an iPhone to entertain me. And like you, Rob, I pay for Hulu-Plus, which I have decided is TOTALLY worth it. I always have shows to watch.

I should get started on a new book soon, too, though I haven't decided what I want to read.

I'm not doing well this weekend, so anything to distract me is key. My body has somehow fast-forwarded to feeling like it's in its seventies. Lovely. Sigh.

Thanks

i love the knit socks, but often my fingers hurt too much.
    I read, and play on my computer with the tv on in the background.
    My husband has the tv on all the time, and we don't share the same tastes in shows, so I often wear my headphones and listen to music.
    I also really enjoy listening to pod-casts. I'm a bit of a tech geek, so I learn about what's new.
    I love magazines. They are great for when brain-fog prevents me from getting into a good book.
    I love to "on-line window shop", on my computer.
    I also spend a lot of time trying to catch up on the work that I struggled with during the day. Remaining employed full time in a stressful job, sometimes means I have to "fake it" and catch up in the evenings.

I'm on the couch right now and the sun is streaming in and warming me. I love that feeling.

Have a good weekend.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I would be so bored without my computer and Netflix. If my hands arent too stiff I like to make jewelry or right now I have been working on that beaded christmas tree for my twin. Last night I stayed up late making tiny little christmas presents for the tree. Oh and like magistramarla I love the cooking channel, Chopped is my all time favorite show!

Thanks

Mica, I watch Chopped all the time on Hulu-- I love it!

But I'm in a funk today. I'm very, very stiff and in pain today, and I can't do much but sit here, and I'm really pretty upset. I feel like my long weekend is being robbed from me. In another, healthier time, I would have used a long weekend to go camping or hiking or thrift store shopping or walk around a local park's trails with my dog.

Instead, I'm just sitting here. A boring lump. I am so moody!