Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is going on?! (Or, What is a flare?)

Thanks

Default What is going on?! (Or, What is a flare?)

Hey all,

So for the year and a half I've had my autoimmune disease, my symptoms have remained pretty constant, some days a little better, some days a little worse. Nothing ever happened that I could identify as a "flare."

But yesterday and today... It's like a lead blanket has descended upon me. And all my joints are cracking and popping (weird?), and one shoulder hurts, and my lower back aches, and my leg pain (an old friend) is worse, and my rear end (hip?) hurts when I walk, and my wrists and fingers hurt, and my abdominal pain (also an old friend) is much worse than it's ever been. And my morning stiffness hasn't gone away yet, and usually that'll shove off after an hour or two.

But none of the symptoms are terribly specific. Is this a flare? Or just a bad day? Should I call my doctor? Is there anything he'd even do? Or do I just suck it up and wrap myself in a human-sized heating pad?

Ughhh.
    Last edited by Derrie; 11-20-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks

How 'bout brain fog? Head feel "crowded", or maybe you have a confused feeling, like maybe you forgot something, even if you didn't (but who'd know anyway)? For me, the flare almost always involves the head/neck area, sometimes almost a frantic feeling, along with worse joint aches and pains, and my spine will feel like it's about to explode. I'll usually break-out with some kind of rash somewhere, almost always with mouth sores, scratchy, gooey, blurry eyes, etc. An overall just plain old "rotten" feeling. Unable to get comfortable. The worse the flair, the worse the symptoms. What you describe almost sounds like the beginning of one, with that "lead blanket" description. I've been told by the rheumy to bump-up the pred, and give them a call when I do it again. He doesn't want to rely upon my recollection and pictures again... It seems each go-round is different from the others for me, no two "incidents" being alike. Sort of like the lupus is feeling its way around in me, seeing where my weak spots are... I've got quite a few of those. |;^)
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

Derrie (11-21-2012), Saysusie (11-21-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I too would say you may be in a small flare or at the beginning of one but I am not your doctor. Since this is all rather new to you I would usually suggest resting a day or two and seeing what happens and if it wasn't better in 48 hours, or if you began having trouble with organs (lungs, heart, etc) to call your doctor. However, with it being a holiday week here in the states you might want to go ahead and call the doc tomorrow to see if he wants to start you on or up your steroids for a little while. Would be better to do it now then end up in the ER on Thanksgiving if you have another option.

just my 2 cents worth
    Last edited by tgal; 11-20-2012 at 04:50 PM.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Derrie (11-21-2012)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

This sounds very much like what a typical Lupus flare is like for me. I get these same basic symptoms, as well as brainfog. And I get the lead blanket fatigue as well as the morning aches and pains that stick around the whole day. Old injuries often become painful again.

My personal rule for calling the doctor is that I'll make an appointment only if I'm having something new going on that is really painful or otherwise distressing. I'm more or less in a constant cycle of flares that peak and then taper off every 3-4 days. Basically, I double up on my anti-inflammatories and do what I can to be at least semi-comfortable until the worst passes. With the frequency of my symptoms, if I went to see the doctor each time I have a flare up, I'd be in the doctor's office pretty much all the time.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 11-21-2012 at 04:09 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Derrie (11-21-2012)

Thanks

I am with Rob, mine is the same, but it always starts with diarrhea, after that the fatigue starts, pain gets much worse, brainfog, morning stiffness takes longer to subside. The rheumy gave me an emergency supply of Prednisone, to take for 5 days, tapering every day. That way, I don't have to go to his office, every time I have a flare.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

Derrie (11-21-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I want to be clear, in your situation I wouldn't go to the doctor either. Heck, as I mentioned in another post, I almost live in a flare and I am not going to live at the doc (Rob put that well). My point with you, and for all new people, is that until you learn what your flare actually is you really are not in a position to know when an upping of the steroids is what you need to do. I am sure the doctor will tell you what to do in these instances when you go visit and, as time go on, you will get to the point where you handle basic flares like most people do the common cold (IE no doctor needed).

I just believe the doctor is the best idea in this instance because this whole situation is new for you. Sadly you will become an old pro one day and my advice would have been very different
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Derrie (11-21-2012)

Thanks

I second, what tgal said, until you know, what a flare is, you should go and see the doc.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Thanks, y'all. I have an appointment with my doctor this morning, and if my stiffness and creakiness doesn't wear off in a couple hours like it normally does, I'm going to go in for a check in and maybe some extra pain meds and/or prednison (I don't take pred regularly). My biggest worry is feeling much worse over the holiday weekend.

All your input is great! It's helping me get an idea of what to expect and how to handle it. I like the idea of having an emergency stash of prednisone -- especially for things like holiday weekends -- so maybe I'll talk to him about that.

I can't believe this is happening the week of Thanksgiving. I have so much cooking I was to do! I had plans to make a dairy-free pumpkin pie from scratch! Now that sounds impossibly taxing. Boo.

Thanks

Hi Derrie,
    I wonder if your flare is sort of a delayed-reaction from going off of your meds for your recent trip to the teaching hospital?
    Hopefully, once your body is used to your meds again, you'll go back to having it all under control.
    Have a great holiday - I hope that you get to make that pie!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Derrie,

I'm sure that if you follow with your doctor's instructions, you'll be just fine. Just stay positive and do your best to enjoy the upcoming holiday.
    Living with Lupus Nephritis is not difficult but just a challenge.