Thread: Urine Testing

Thanks

Default Urine Testing

I was a diagnosed a fair while back now so not newly diagnosed, but thought this might be something relevant to those who have just had a diagnosis..

I have seen several GP's/Docs and one rheumy for Lupus (SLE) and not a single one has ever tested my urine. Everything I read about Lupus talks about urine samples but I've never done one! I know obviously it is to test for kidney issues...even when I've told these doctors that my brother had unexplained kidney failure and required a transplant, not a single one has asked me to pee in a pot!

I don't particularly want to pee in a pot, I don't want other people seeing and handling my pee...but as a matter of health, should someone be taking an interest in it?! I don't know.

What are your experiences?
    I spent 2 years travelling Australia. Check out my travel blog at http://travelpod.com/members/helenlear

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yea that is a bit weird, mostly because getting your urine tested is a pretty standard test especially when dealing with lupus. testing the urine isn't just testing for kidney function so I personally find that really odd you haven't been made to pee in a cup at all.
    Every time I go to the Rheumy I get my urine and blood testing and even when I go to my primary doctor for things other that lupus I am sometimes asked to pee in a cup. I would ask you rheumy about that one because from the impression I have from all the doctors I have ever seen getting a urine test is a standard test. I don't know why it bothers me so much that no one has felt that was important not even once but it does.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mica For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (11-14-2012)

Thanks

You should have been tested much earlier in the process.

I've done several 24hr pee tests, where you "throw-out" the first pee of the day, and then pee in the same bottle all day, and turn it in the next morning. I've also done all sorts of "regular" pee tests, where you pee in a cup (and hope not to splash oneself...), put the cup (or bottle) in a little doorway, that the nurse or tech then takes to the lab area. Both have their purpose, with some docs "poo-pooing" the 24 hour test, but that's the one that my old hematologist used several years ago, and then said "because of this that and the other, you have to have lupus, along with the CVID." I've long forgotten the "this that and the other", but I am trying to get my old test results for my next rheumy visit. He only had the stuff for the docs that are in the same "group" as his, which leaves out about 1/2 of my medical work over the last 10 years. I'm trying to avoid more testing, other than the blood work, for potential kidney issues myself. Being a guy, and after having cancer and other medical issues that have involved body parts that I'd rather not have folks viewing publicly, it kind gets to be "you wanna see my xxx? OK"... second nature kind of thang. ie: Old hat anymore. You do get used to it.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (11-14-2012)

Thanks

I think I'll be taking in a complimentary cup of pee to every doctor I see from now on! Ok, maybe not...but I'll definitely mention it. I thought it was odd but I don't like to tell doctors how to do their job.

Jmail...I've heard its the same for women after they've had repeated gyno appointments, given birth, had breast screens etc...I'm only 26 and been spared a lot if it so far, but I'm kinda looking forward to the "Want to see my fajingle?" point. Insecurity is hard work.
    I spent 2 years travelling Australia. Check out my travel blog at http://travelpod.com/members/helenlear

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I just wanted to piggyback on what has already been said..the urine test is usually a standard test in the diagnostic process. Especially the 24hr urine in order to determine if the kidneys have any damage at all.
    You might want to speak with you doctor about this and/or demand that they do, at least, a routine urine panel. With Lupus, no stone should be left unturned!

Best of Luck
    Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

Bakedtater08 (11-20-2012), Shine (11-14-2012)

Thanks

... (forgive me)... especially a "kidney" stone... sorry, couldn't help myself... tic |;^)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

Shine (11-14-2012), SleepyInSeattle (11-20-2012)

Thanks

I went to a see a doctor today because I've lost my voice (it's laryngitis...ouch.) I asked about being referred to a rheumy and they said thye won't do it at thier practice because I'm not a permanent resident, just here on a 2 year work permit. Disgusting! And I paid $90 for the appointment! Grr.

Anyway I got what I needed for the throat issues and will be registering with a different doctor on Monday that will do a referral.

I feel like crap today! Bleurgh!

Thanks

I don't understand that. If a person is sick, they need to see a doctor. But they wont' refer you to a doctor because you're on a two year visa?... and you have to pay for it yourself anyway? Can you call a rheumy directly for an appointment? (be prepared, they're more expensive than a pcp)... btw, I lose my voice all the time, and oftentimes, it's the lupus doing it...
    Last edited by jmail; 11-14-2012 at 08:27 PM.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (11-20-2012), Shine (11-20-2012)

Thanks

I had mentioned this to my husband as well. I was dx with glomerulonephritis and have my urine tested a million times. I found it odd that my Rheum never checked. I switched Rheum's and was pleased she ordered one as well as another in 6 weeks. It's not that I enjoy it lol but I know my kidney function should be looked at as well as other things. I think you should mention it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tomcatsgirl For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (11-20-2012)

Thanks

Yep, definitely going to mention it! Especially as my brother suffered unexplained kidney failure...I know too well that in it's early stages it often goes unnoticed. Thanks everyone