Thread: Plaquenil and breastfeeding

Thanks

Default Plaquenil and breastfeeding

I am due in January. I stopped taking the plaquenil when I found out I was pregnant. I want to take it after the baby is born to help reduce post partum flare. I had a terrible flare after I had my son and don't want to go through that again if I can help it. I don't have a rheumy as she was just let go( she was rude anyways) so I will have to go through my pcp who doesn't know a lot about lupus. If they say it is safe while pregnant, wouldn't it be safe also when breastfeeding? Any info will help me so I can show my doc. Thanks

Has anyone got the okay from their doc to breastfeed while on plaquenil?

Thanks

I'm not a mom, but I did find this on the Lupus dot org site:

Chat Transcript 2/14/07

the part most interesting to you is a good ways down the page:

This question is from an expecting mom: I am taking Plaquenil. I am pregnant and want to breastfeed. Is it safe? I heard varying opinions from rheumatologists and pediatricians.

Dr. Schanberg
    Very little of the plaquenil makes into breast milk and small doses of plaquenil are very safe. We think it is safe to take plaquenil and breastfeed. The American Academy of pediatrics has issued guidelines about drugs and breastfeeding and rated plaquenil as low risk and therefore safe for breastfeeding mothers.

I've been on that site many times, and had never seen one of those chat transcripts...
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

mystiejm (10-25-2012)

Thanks

Thanks so much. I will bring that to my doc appt.

Thanks

Mystie,
    I breastfed all of my kids long before I was diagnosed with AI problems, so I don't have any personal experience for you.
    However, I used to be a La Leche League Leader. I know that each district had a medical liaison - usually a nurse or even a doctor who had breastfed her own babies. You might try finding your local LLL group leader and ask if she can put you in touch with this professional who can answer your question.
    Another source might be the breastfeeding consultant who works with your hospital.
    Good luck. All babies and Moms should have the chance to be a breastfeeding couple!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

I unfortunately also don't have any personal experience either. However, I recently asked my doctors about the plaquenil and pregnancy and he said it wasn't a huge risk. I'm assuming if he was so nonchalant about taking it while pregnant that breast feeding wouldn't be an issue.

Now you did say you stopped taking it during the actual pregnancy. If you didn't feel it was worth it to take it while pregnant I'm not sure I quite understand taking it while breast feeding.