Thread: Fatigue, how do you manage?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Fatigue, how do you manage?

Hello Everyone!

I recently had a flare from my SLE and ofcourse went to a few doctors. Apparently I now have fibromyalgia too. Yippie. So I haven't been sleeping well. Real fit full. I go from dead asleep to wide awake.

My rheumatologist has me on Lyrica now as well as the plaquinel and tramadol and etodolac and to be honest, I'm more pooped then usual.

I think the stress is keeping me awake. But 3 of the 4 drugs I take daily cause drowsiness so I'm dead tired all the time.

We all have lives and jobs or kids...How are you functioning?

My doctor keeps telling me to work out which will help with the enormous weight gain but that makes me hurt. I tried coffee which I despise and my blood pressure was up on my last visit to 146/80.

I'm frustrated. I'm tired. And more moody than life itself.

Help?
    Last edited by Phoenix2369; 11-01-2012 at 04:45 AM.

Thanks

Silly iPhone. Sorry for the double post.

Thanks

Hi Phoenix,

There is a difference between fatigue and tiredness, or drowsyness from the meds.
    I have fatigue, but I am not tired/sleepy. Like our Rob always said, fatigue feels like you are wearing a lead blanket, that is dragging you down.
    The Lyrica is supposed to make you sleep, at least, that is what I thought.
    I sure hope, that you can get help and feel better.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

i have fatigue - it feels like you are worn out. slow and lethargic, it almost hurts to move.

i have sleep problems - i cannot get into a restful position and switch off the brain.

the 2 are very different for me. but can and usually do happen at the same time.
    the treatment for each is different.
    sleep problems can sometimes / often be cured with medication, (herbal or perscription)
    fatigue can only be cured by rest and medication if inflamation is involved.

doctors prescribe drugs like lyrica and depressents to slow down the brain, and settle down the highs and lows that we get into when fatigued. I presume the doctor wants the lyrica to work with the tramadol and etodolac, the combination should work as anti inflamitories on the muscles and a relaxant to the brain.

remember i am not a doctor, but i do have fibro and lupus combined as well.
    i ask all of my doctors lots of questions, i suggest you talk to him next visit about what he is trying to achieve with this combination of drugs.

by understanding what the doctor is trying to achieve, you are more able to understand what is happenning to your body.
    knowledge can remove some of the frustration you feel from the fatigue.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Phoenix2369 (11-01-2012)

Thanks

I do link fatigue and tiredness to the same source although I know I should not as they are different.

I can deal with the sleepiness. I cannot however deal with the body aches and pain. The unwillingness and nonability to move or do things I used to.

The Lyrica I believe is being used to treat the pain/muscle spasms and new side effects as well as help with the actually falling asleep. I feel that it makes me tired and allows me to sleep for around 3 hours. After that I'm up again.

I feel like the constantly not sleeping is adding to the fatigue and over all horribleness I've been having.

Is there anything you do to maybe fall asleep? Something you do in particular to combat either your tiredness or fatigue?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I haven't been able to work or have a life because my fatigue is so bad and if I do anything I start to get sick after an hour. Being just sleepy I can deal with because with some caffeine and a shower it starts to go away. I had a big problem with sleep it would take me hours to fall asleep and I wouldn't stay asleep for more than a couple of hours, I just told my doctor and after a few different sleeping meds I found that trazadone worked for me. Talk to your doctor because medication works differently for everyone.