Thread: sleep apnea

Thanks

Default sleep apnea

Well I went to my ruhemy a month ago-most labs ok- even ds-dna is down below 100! (95 -was as high as 185) for the first time in a year.

He suggested that I would have less joint pain if I lost a few (ok more than a few)pounds. He also felt it would be a good idea to have a sleep study as he felt my fatigue could be caused by more than just lupus.

And since sleeping for a test seems easier than exercising to lose weight I went for the sleep test!

Boy was he right-an hour into the test they stopped it because apparently I have a bad habit of not breathing when I sleep and my oxygen level would fall below 60% and then I would kinda snort/snore and it would start all over again.
    They fitted me with a cpap mask and apparently I did much much better.

I was asked how I felt I slept at home-I thought pretty good considering my wife steals the covers, kicks me in her sleep(at least she says she only does it in her sleep!)and I have 2 big (1oo lb) dogs that fight over who gets to sleep with mommy and daddy!

Thursday night the tech is coming to set up the equipment at my house-figures after 30 years of wearing respirators and air fed hoods at work now I get to sleep in one too! Well at least I can't blame lupus for this one!

Thanks for indulging me! Niall
    Last edited by n.mac; 10-29-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Thanks

Niall,
    My Jeff has a CPAP. It's like sleeping with Darth Vader. He sleeps flat on his back with his mouth wide open, so he kept breaking the seal of the thing, so it would pump air harder in a vicious circle. I would wake up hearing him choking. He gave it up for a while and tried to sleep on his side so that he would snore less. He was so tired during the day that he decided to try it again. This time, he has a better face mask, so he has less problems.
    I still don't like sleeping with Darth Vader. The machine makes a humming sound that irritates me, and he has to remember to throw a towel over it because it makes a ghastly green glow in the room that keeps me awake if it is uncovered.
    I hope that your wife and dogs can stand you with the CPAP.
    Be careful - you might scare the dogs!
    Good luck.
    Hugs,
    Marla

3. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

n.mac (10-30-2012)

Thanks

my husband and daughter have sleep apnea we cannnot afford to buy machine for him my daughters is obstructive sleep apnea waiting to have tonsils and adnoids removed. i doubt if my husband would sleep with machine he has constant headaches and this would drive him crazy ,

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kim,l For This Useful Post:

n.mac (10-30-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

the good thing with most people using the machine.......
    they sleep through the humming and glowing of lights.

i know a few people who use them.
    all say they wake much more rested.

hope you are as lucky.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

n.mac (10-30-2012)

Thanks

Niall, I'd blame it ALL on lupus... When I'd drop a fly ball in baseball, I'd say "it was the sun, it got in my eye. I tripped over that rock there, it made me stumble. The dog ate my homework, and I stressed. It was the lupus..." But seriously, ya never know...
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

n.mac (10-30-2012)