Thread: SLE and seizures

Hybrid View

Thanks

Question SLE and seizures

Hello again to everyone, haven't posted since April (so much has been going on medically I haven't mustered the energy or emotional endurance to stop back by until today).

My question is: has anyone personally dealt with seizures/epilepsy in addition to having sle? Also what is there to expect in the long run, what has worked for you in managing them?

Personally I had my second Grand Mal last night (first happened when I was about 17) although I've dealt with issues involving it for quite some time now. I really have no real knowledge as how it pertains to sle but it seems that the doctors think its related. Any info would be great

Thanks

Hi and welcome back.
    I haven't experienced this, but I'm sure that Tgal will talk to you soon.
    Just wanted to say Hi.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Hey there Bakedtater08, can you elaborate a bit more? Have they done any EEG testing on you? Any other seizures, other than the two grand mals? Oftentimes, there's smaller seizures going on, and sometimes the patient isn't even aware of them. Are you on any meds for seizures? Are they talking about starting you on any? I've not had to deal with any myself, but my brother does, and it can be very frustrating, where you'll go along fine for the longest time, then have a series of seizures, then they'll quit again.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

Bakedtater08 (10-26-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. Lupus and seizures are a difficult thing to deal with. As was mentioned above often times there are other mild seizures that you don't even realize are happening. For me, I was smelling burning rubber which I thought was coming from our office electrical equipment, for about 6 months before my first tonic clonic (what used to be called Grand Mal) seizure. The most common seizure for me after diagnosis was a partial seizure although it appears I was having night seizures for about a year prior to diagnosis but I didn't know what was happening. Night seizures and absence seizures can be so brief they are not noticed.

Epileptic seizures and Lupus seizures can be very different. If the seizures are truly brought on by Lupus then they are very hard to diagnose because there is not always a problem with the electrical activity in the brain but simply decreased blood flow. While I do have seizures I do not have Epilepsy. My seizures are caused by a lack of blood flow to the brain during periods of inflammation. I am on seizure meds, just to be on the safe side, although it is believed that if they can get my Lupus under control the seizures will get under control as well.

Please feel free to PM me if you want to talk about this privately or ask any questions you have in this thread. I will be happy to help in any way that I can.
    Last edited by tgal; 10-22-2012 at 08:18 AM.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Bakedtater08 (10-26-2012), Saysusie (10-22-2012)

Thanks

Magistramarla: hello & thank you

Jmail: they have not done a complete EEG (not sure what its called) but are working on getting a "sleep deprivation EEG" setup. I live in a pretty rural area and I guess there is only one place that does it here, they warned me at my follow up on Monday, that it could be two weeks to a month to get in. However, once that test he may want to order another MRI and send me to Rush (in Chicago) for a 5 day inpatient study. For now I've been pretty much told to watch & wait. And to keep a journal of any unusual happenings, including another obvious seizure, and to record any events leading up to the event, the location, time of day, duration, etc. He also advised me to stop driving until after all the testing is completed, which is a bit disheartening, although two days prior to having the last the thought had already randomly crossed my mind while driving home with my son.

As far as the past, like I stated above I had my first known major episode at around 16 yrs old in school. Following that (the school transported me to the nurses room until my husband (bf at the time) could pick me up to take me home-no direct hospital consultation) I started to see a neurologist, because suddenly I started having episodes of memory loss, jerking, the feeling I best can describe as "water tricking down" my limbs, facial numbness and odd vision accompanied by a strange sensation of "wearing goggles". To be honest he didn't do much-left with that now familiar feeling of having more questions than answers. They suspected ms and I was put on a home bound program so I could finish the remainder of my last year. Finally it began to ease off. Although I still had brief episodes of temporarily forgetting where I was or who I was with for a few minutes, still persisted (and has to this day). The only forerunner of warning is an odd "smell" that I get. It isn't unpleasant necessarily-I can remember randomly getting it as a child-but I'm unable to describe it. Almost a "feel-smell" if that makes sense?

This continued until after I had my son in 2008 (when my illness really reared its ugly head) and I began to have the jerking episodes again. Differently than before-the loss of memory lasted longer. Driving home I would get lost, one morning my husband came to find me wandering aimlessly in a field behind our home, in nothing but my pajamas after I'd gotten up to use the restroom. He began taking me to the er demanding help, but they said there was nothing they could do. This was then followed by random fits of syncope. My neighbors would find me passed out in my yard, friends that stopped by had found me in my hallway or other areas, etc.

My pcp finally ordered an MRI which they said had shown a brain lesion somewhere in my left lobe. And Inflammation in the lining of my brain. Soon after this, I had traveled to mayo clinic for kidney issues and a fractured vertebrae. During a brief consultation with a neurologist there (my Internist at mayo insisted I needed to see one after he received all my films and I had developed a "dark spot" in my vision after a car accident) They dismissed everything as normal, and the MRI was fine. So I stopped pursuing answers, if the "big wigs" say it, it must be true, right?

It's just something I've grown use to as being "normal", as most of my family & friends. I realize my description of "grand mal" is a bit old school after reading-I honestly can't remember what my pcp had called it properly, but had said it was commonly known as "grand mal" when id given him the deer in headlights look! he had drug out all these diagrams and began rambling on about how some things were partial something or others, and something about tonic and clonic, and a bunch of other things that he may has well been speaking in tongues lol

I realize that's a ton of rambling to read & I apologize. But I sorta hope that maybe going into detail may help someone with a clue as to how it all plays together.

Tgal: thank you also for your response, if had use of a computer (instead of my mobile) I may know how to pm, but sadly it's a bit difficult navigating on a tiny screen!

Thanks

The important relation to sle I forgot to add, was that these issues tend to increase or come back when I begin to flare-also worsening as my flares worsen. It's what has left me curious, if this indeed is or could be related.

Thanks

Blah! Me & my gold fish memory! Another relation to sle I was also going to include: when I first began seeing my rheumy & was already on plaquinil for about 4 months, shed noticed the jerking and mentioned that plaquenil Would help to ease it. Ironically at that point it had just began easing it, but I'm not sure if its from the medicine or the fact my flares were starting to ease off. Obviously it hasn't ended it completely, but I don't randomly fling coffee mugs as often lol