Thread: Lupie Hair

Thanks

Question Lupie Hair

Hi everyone.

So - got a question.

What, if anything, do y'all do to try to keep your hair from breaking? My hair does okay for long periods of time but then when I flare it changes color and start breaking and looking like straw. I am in menopause rather suddenly and with that comes a flare and one or the other or both situations has resulted in unhealthy hair. I've been more consistent with taking vitamins and fish oil and I exercise daily and so forth. I don't shampoo daily and don't blow dry daily for the obvious reasons. Any other recommendations? I tried Wen - not terribly impressed - so I'm back to my old shampoo and conditioner.

Thanks much for any insight you can offer,
    KCat

Thanks

I have had this problem, too - plus I have lost about a third of my hair (general, overall thinning) due to methotrexate. I am not much of a "girly-girl" or a "spa lady" type, but I have always had long hair I was a little vain about - it's usually been glossy and soft - no more! :-(

I have tried all sorts of products - what is working best for me is to use a decent moisturizing shampoo and conditioner (the "Herbal Essences Hello Hydration" brand works well and is not ridiculously expensive - sometimes Costco even has it), but when I use conditioner, I add about half to 3/4 of a Tablespoon of "Organix Moroccan Oil Penetrating Oil" to it (http://www.amazon.com/Organix-Morocc...ccan+argan+oil). (I have long hair so you might need less if you have short hair).

The shampoo/conditioner and also the oil should all be available at a drugstore - none of them are fancy hair-salon things.

I mix the oil in with the conditioner in my hand and then use it as I normally would, after I shampoo - then I rinse it out, etc just like normal. That extra bit of oil seems to be just exactly what my hair needs - it comes out glossy and soft, and the breakage seems to be less.

I won't say it's as nice as it used to be, but using that oil stuff in the conditioner is the best thing I have tried so far, and I have tried a zillion different products, LOL.

I hope that helps. It's bad enough having this stuff - we don't need to be bald on top of it!!!! :-P

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

KCat (10-22-2012), Saysusie (10-22-2012)

Thanks

I agree with Sleepy - I've found that Aussie Moist shampoo and conditioner helps my hair. Unfortunately, I'm also battling scalp psoriasis, so I have to use Denorex, too. That's a bit drying.
    I used to keep my hair longer, but now I've just cut it short (with blond highlights to hide the grey), and it's a lot easier to wash, comb and go.
    Hugs,
    Marla

5. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

KCat (10-22-2012)

Thanks

Thanks much. I use a very gentle moisturizing shampoo/conditioner as well and my hair has always been very fine and very silky so this straw-like stuff has been upsetting (okay, a blow to my already fragile ego). I looked and Target carries the Organix at their stores (not online) so I'll go by there soon and get some to try. I've always looked at Aussie shampoo but never tried it. Maybe when I run out of what I have...

Thanks

Saw this post and had to jump in. I'm a stylist, and as for your hair breaking off, you need protein. It'll strengthen your hair and keep it from doing that. I've been a stylist for 17 years ans I've used over the counter products and once I started with professional products I won't do back! I have Redken and Pro Design in my salon. I personally use Pro Design. Simple line. 3 main shampoos, 1 conditioner. They have a product called Tiger Reconstructor that I would HIGHLY recommend. That's the protein. Wash your hair, towel dry, before applying product, spray Tiger, massage into hair. Then apply product and blow dry. This product works best with heat. Your hair will only take what it needs and is safe to use daily. They also have a moisturizing shampoo. Redken also has a protein called CAT. Pricey stuff but well worth it!! Good luck!!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leahc For This Useful Post:

KCat (10-22-2012), Saysusie (10-22-2012)

Thanks

Same issue here as well. As far as in shower items, I've tried tons-professional and not. I find that the herbal essence conditioner seems to work best for me so far. However I do swap between the one for curly hair (has that oomph to keep things smooth and less brittle) and the super moisturizing one. I've heard about swapping shampoos and conditioners every so often because your hair becomes "resistant" or "use to" one after so long and it no longer proves effective-for me it seems to be true. Also tea tree oil-I actually stumbled across this, which is sold at any beauty supply store (pretty cheap), for my dogs who have horrible skin dermatitis, yeast & inflammation. It worked so well on them (I'd tried everything) that I decided to give it a go-its for ppl after all! It does seem to help quite a bit. It says on the bottle you can also use it for nails, and other things besides hair.

Leave in products: I like "it's a ten" which is a spray leave in conditioner, a Walmart/Walgreens/target item that comes in a canister called "nature works" grow formula. I used to use Paul Mitchal religiously but it seems (and my stylist confirmed) they've changed their formula : (

I also wanted to add that I've been told by several stylist now, that you can have too much of a good thing. When your hair builds up certain proteins, over what it needs it can begin the breaking process all over. After that I've been swapping the two leave ins or I may skip a day to give my hair a breather. Products such as "it's a ten" have several varieties-one for example with less keratin (sp) that was causing my hair to become "too soft"

Thanks

I've heard BioSil supplements are good for hair, skin and nails. It supposedly strengthens hair and encourages regrowth. I've recently started taking it so I can't personnally attest to it's effectiveness yet; I'm hoping it will stop the breakage and I'll start sprouting little hairs in my bald spots any day now. It's -15 and we have a lot of snow... my head is get cold and I don't want to reort to toques yet. LOL
    Nicole S

Acceptance is the key to happiness.

ITP - 1993
    Celiac - 2012
    Hashimoto's - 2012

CANADIAN