Thread: new blood results need questions answered from my lupus friends here

Thanks

Unhappy new blood results need questions answered from my lupus friends here

hi everyone hoping you can help me my recent blood results have said that my kidney filtration for kidney function is down to 55 but i had bloodtest on29th of last month and it said it was 63 has anyone else had tests that differ like this my gp says it can be because different labs use different tests kits. my blood sugar level is 6.8 so she worried about that. has anyone else here have kidney function problems with there results around mine. apparently 90 percent is considered normal. i am stresing and am scared as i have never had bad kidney function only in last 3 tests. my last ana still has not changedit is still 1260 it never changes. do i have anything to worry about. and have any of you had low kidney function and has it got better. can i fix this or not. i am so scared i will die. my medications are mextexate 15mg aweek folate acid 5mg once a week plaquenil 200mg twice a day prednisone 5mg a day cardizem for blood pressure 180 twice a day and atacand 8mg for blood pressure once a day. throxine for thyroid 200mg a day. i aspirin100mg a day lipitor 40 mg a day and somac for acid reflux and valium 5mg once a day. and tramodol when needed for pain. and there is no me denying it i am very obese. due to lack of exercise and health problems. i know i can say this because you are my friends and you do not judge me i am so greatful for that. sorry for being a pain.thanyou all for listening and any feedback would be appreciated hugs kim l

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Kim; I can feel the fear and stress in your words. I have never had kidney involvement with my Lupus and, as most of your questions requested information from member who have, I will wait to see how many members(with personal experience) respond to you.
    Should you fail to get responses or if you want more research, please let me know and I will do a research for you.
    In the meantime, please try not to over stress yourself until you get some definitive answers. You know how many problems stress can cause for this disease.
    I will check again tomorrow to see where we are and/or what you need.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

kim,l (10-17-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Luckily my kidneys are one of the few areas my Lupus hasn't touched so I don't have any answers for you. I too will be glad to help find answers if you need no one who has personal knowledge responds in the next day or so. Feel free to PM if there is anything I can help with in the mean time
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

kim,l (10-17-2012)

Thanks

thankyou saysusie and mari i would appreciate any help or information yes i am very scared and emotional right now but it helps to have your support and friendship.

Thanks

I don't remember my numbers kim, but they fluctuate wildly, but I only go "low" ocassionally, so I don't have issues with my kidneys (everything else, but not kidneys - tic). My doc says that the blood sugar levels can affect that also (affects all sorts of stuff)...
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

kim,l (10-18-2012)

Thanks

Hi Kim,
    I've never had any kidney tests, even though I do have a lot of problems with frequent urination and take ditropan.
    I just wanted to pop in and give you a cyber hug.
    Hugs,
    Marla

10. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

kim,l (10-20-2012)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi;
    You did not mention if your doctors also did a renal plasma flow test? If so, what were the results of this test? Before you start fearing the worst about your kidneys, I would suggest that you either ask for this test or wait until you see the result of this test combined with the results of the GFR.
    I am going to provide you with a lot of information, including some clinical information about the tests so that you understand better the reasons for it and what the results might indicate. Also, I will give you the basic formula used to determine the rate:
    The GFR (Glomerular Filtration Rate) test measures how well your kidneys are filtering a waste called creatinine, which is produced by the muscles. When the kidneys aren't working as well as they should, creatinine builds up in the blood.

Your doctor may order this test if there are signs that your kidneys are not working properly. It may also be done to see how far kidney disease (if present) has progressed.

According to the National Kidney Foundation, normal results range from 90 - 120 mL/min/1.73 m2. Older people will have lower normal GFR levels, because GFR decreases with age.
    The examples above are common measurements for results of these tests. However, as your doctor said, normal value ranges may vary among different laboratories. Some labs use different measurements or test different samples. Please talk to your doctor about the meaning of your specific test results.
    Levels below 60 mL/min/1.73 m2 for 3 or more months are a sign of chronic kidney disease. A GFR result below 15 mL/min/1.73 m2 is a sign of kidney failure and requires immediate medical attention.
    Three of the biggest jobs that the kidneys have are: (1) to cleanse the blood, (2) to regulate and maintain an appropriate fluid and chemical balance in the body, and (3) to produce the urine. Each of these functions is closely related to the other two, not only because each involves the removal or addition of fluid and chemicals from the blood, but also because each of these functions takes place in the kidney's nephrons. The starting point in the nephron for each of these functions is the glomerulus. It is the "gateway" that the blood must pass through in order to be cleansed by the kidneys.

The glomerular filtration rate (GFR) and the renal plasma flow (RPF) are both rate measurements that helps doctors to characterize the status of renal function. When looked at together, they provide information about how fast the kidney can process the blood through its various structures and, therefore, can indicate how efficiently the kidneys are operating.
    GFR is the rate at which water and dissolved substances are filtered out of the blood and into the kidneys. As the blood flows through the glomerulus, the water and the various salts and other dissolved substances flow through the glomerular-capsular membrane and into Bowman's capsule. A "normal" GFR in an average adult who is at rest is about 125 ml/min. This is not how much blood passes through the glomerulus each minute, but instead, it is how much filtrate is removed from the blood each minute.
    RPF is the rate at which plasma flows through the kidney. By estimating the rate of plasma flow through the kidneys, doctors can obtain an estimate of the rate of total blood flow through the kidneys. The plasma flow rate is measured because it is the plasma that is filtered out of the glomerulus and into the nephron. Therefore, the plasma delivers the tracer substance to the kidney, where it will be washed out of the system. It is the rate of elimination of the tracer from the plasma and into the urine that will provide doctors with the information needed to determine how fast the blood is flowing through the kidney. The normal rate of plasma flow through both kidneys of a 154 lb human is about 650 ml/min, and the normal rate of blood flow is about 1200 ml/min. Plasma makes up about 55% of the total blood volume and the plasma flow rate is about 55% of the total blood flow rate.

THE GFR TEST:

Your GFR tells you how much kidney function you have. It is defined as the sum of the filtration rates of all your functioning nephrons (filtering units making up the kidneys). An estimate of the normal value for your GFR can be obtained by using the equation: GFR = 140 [your age]. For example, if you are a fit, healthy 30 yr old, your GFR should be approximately 110mls/min.

It is also important to remember that your GFR is affected by other factors such as gender, age and your body size. There is considerable variation even amongst people in the population who have similar characteristics. There are many formulae that can be used to calculate the GFR, but you will hear of commonly used formulas such as the Cockcroft & Gault and the MDRD formulas.
    The Cockcroft-Gault equation, accounts for age, sex and muscle mass (this value is multiplied by 1.23 for men, to account for a greater fraction of the body weight being composed of muscle):

Creatinine clearance = [140 age (years)] x LBW (kg) x 1.23 (if male) (mls/min)
    Serum creatinine (umol/L)

Now, even if you do have serious kidney disease, this DOES NOT mean that you are going to die. There are some things that you can do, on your own, to help take care of your kidneys. These are suggestions only and you should speak with your doctor about individualizing them for you:

The following are general dietary guidelines:

• Protein restriction: Decreasing protein intake may slow the progression of chronic kidney disease. A dietitian can help one determine the appropriate amount of protein.
    • Salt restriction: Limit to 2 to 4grams a day to avoid fluid retention and help control high blood pressure.
    • Fluid intake: Excessive water intake does not help prevent kidney disease. In fact, the doctor may recommend restriction of water intake.
    • Potassium restriction: This is necessary in advanced kidney disease because the kidneys are unable to remove potassium. High levels of potassium can cause abnormal heart rhythms. Examples of foods high in potassium include bananas, oranges, nuts, avocados, and potatoes.
    • Phosphorus restriction: Decreasing phosphorus intake is recommended to protect bones. Eggs, beans, cola drinks, and dairy products are examples of foods high in phosphorus.

Other important measures that a patient can take include:

• carefully follow prescribed regimens to control blood pressure and/or diabetes;
    • stop smoking; and
    • try to lose excess weight.

In chronic kidney disease, several medications can be toxic to the kidneys and may need to be avoided or given in adjusted doses. Among over-the-counter medications, the following need to be avoided or used with caution:

• Certain analgesics: Aspirin; nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen [Motrin, for example])
    • Fleets or Phospho-Soda enemas because of their high content of phosphorus
    • Laxatives and antacids containing magnesium and aluminum such as Milk of Magnesia and magnesium and aluminum hydroxide (Mylanta)
    • Ulcer medication H2-receptor antagonists: cimetidine (Tagamet) and ranitidine (Zantac) (decreased dosage with kidney disease)
    • Decongestants such as (Sudafed) and phenylpropanolamine (Rhindecon) especially if the patient has high blood pressure
    • Alka Seltzer, since this contains large amounts of sodium
    • Herbal medications

If a patient has a condition such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol underlying chronic kidney disease, they should take all medications as directed and see their health care practitioner as recommended for follow-up and monitoring.

I hope that this has been helpful to you. Please let me know if you need furhter information, I will be happy to research further for you.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

jmail (10-22-2012), kim,l (10-21-2012), tgal (10-21-2012)

Thanks

thankyou say susie that was great of you to research this i am very greatful i have already started to adjust my diet to avoid the thing you said about a week ago i am going swimming everyday now trying to be less stressed and drinking right amount of water and making sure my blood pressure is regular. i will be taking another test i months time to see if anything has changed. and if i have to do a blood glucose test. i am hoping with diet and exercise i can either turn this around or keep it stable. but my rhuemi does not seem that worried i find this a bit strange. but we will see what the next test says.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kim,l For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (10-22-2012)

Thanks

Kim,
    Keep up the good work! We'll all be here cheering for you.
    Be sure to let us know the results of that next test.
    Hugs,
    Marla