Thread: Hip Giving Way

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Unhappy Hip Giving Way

Hey Gang

It's been a while since I've posted here although I do pop in from time to time to read through how everyone is doing but it's been a busy old time for me. I recently gave birth to baby number three (and last as they've told me not to have any more thanks to my Lupus which I'm completely fine with). I ended up on crutches for most of my pregnancy and using a wheelchair for grocery shopping expeditions due to SPD pain and in the last few weeks some hip pain on the right side.
    It's been almost four months since giving birth and I've had one set of bloods done about two months after the birth which showed all my levels as normal (although most of my bloods have always been normal even with my diagnosis of SLE a few years back) but now I'm getting really worred and upset with my stupid broken body and wondered if anyone else has a similar issue?

If I try to jog, even one step, my right hip completely gives way beneath me. It's as though I just suddenly don't even own a leg on that side anymore, it's gone. Tonight I was crossing the street and didn't judge the speed of a car coming along the road very well and had to move faster to make sure I got out the way but the moment I did, bam, goodbye hip and working leg. I almost fell flat on my face and if I had the car would have run right over the top of me (didn't help it was dark either of course). At night I'm also kept mostly awake because of massive pain in my back, my pelvis, my hips and my rib cage. I can't even sit up to grab the alarm from the bottom of the bed anymore and sleep with the alarm in my hand instead. My husband has had to help me out of bed some mornings and I'm so frustrated.

I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow anyway but wondered if anyone else has a similiar problem or if I'm looking at some after birth/lingering SPD problem?

Thanks for letting me vent and hope you're all having a pain free day today!

Numpt xxxx
    Numpty:- (num-p-tee) dialect, chiefly Scot, ~n. 1. a bumbling fool: one who is intellectually challenged. 2. widely known in Scotland as an MSP (Member of Scottish Parliament).

Thanks

Hey Numpty,
    Welcome back and congrats on the new baby!
    I know that when we give birth, our pelvic muscles get loosened up and it takes a while for things to get back to normal. You should ask your OB about that.
    That said, I have the same problem with my hips and I haven't given birth in 26 years!
    I know what you mean about a muscle just giving out without warning. Both of my hips do it, and so do my legs.
    Ask your rheumy about it too.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

sorry, but being male...... birth problems are not my fortee.

that said, welcome back.
    i hope you manage to sort things out.
    how is the sleeping going?
    has the baby settled into a nice routine?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Welcome Back

I have hip problems and have had my hips give out on me too. Once, while I was on stage doing a dance number and singing...my right hip just gave out on me completely. I spent the rest of that show on the floor with people trying to get my hip back in the joint...ugh!!
    Anyway, I hope that you find some answers. I do stretches and pop my hips every single morning in order to avoid having them give out on me at inopportune times. My doctor gave me a sheet with several different ways that you can pop your hips. I would bet that, if you do an Internet search, you will find lots of information and advice! Best if luck to you.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks for the responses everyone!
    As an update, I've spoken to my doctor and she's given me the strongest co-codemol painkillers she's allowed to give me and these are keeping me pain free during the night. I'm now in day two of a really horrible migraine though with the pain mostly behind my eyes on the left hand side. I had an MRI done a couple of weeks ago to see if they could find the cause of my tinitus (sp?) so will have to chase up the results of that and had bloods done yesterday for a full blood count and my ESR levels and something else I can't remember so they should be back by next week. Will update again once I have more information until then am just going to lie on the sofa with a cold pack on my face... makes it hard to see the TV though ~LOL~
    Love to you all xx
    Numpty:- (num-p-tee) dialect, chiefly Scot, ~n. 1. a bumbling fool: one who is intellectually challenged. 2. widely known in Scotland as an MSP (Member of Scottish Parliament).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Numpty For This Useful Post:

deannegirl (11-13-2012)

Thanks

I have peripheral neuropathy down one leg from my bad back (burst disc). The paralysis goes through my (ahem) butt cheek, into my hip, down th outside of my leg, into my shin and ends at my big toe. The hip part causes a lot of weakness in my hip and it's given out on me many times; I tend to limp unless I remember to consciously disguise it.

My back would get much worse when I was pregnant and for quite a time following the birth. It could be worth looking into as a cause.

Congratulations on your little one.
    Nicole S

Acceptance is the key to happiness.

ITP - 1993
    Celiac - 2012
    Hashimoto's - 2012

CANADIAN

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nvsmom For This Useful Post:

Numpty (11-13-2012)

Thanks

Hello,

I too get the hip giving way thing. It actually started yeeeeaaaars ago and I always put it down to having dodgy ankles, but I now recognise the pain as lupus pain. It's like the pain is so much so quickly that my body goes NOPE! and won't let me put weight on that limb anymore. It happens most often when I step up or down a curb or on uneven ground...I'd say it happens when I start to jog but lets be honest, I haven't jogged in a long time...but when I try to pick up the pace (ie: trying to get the bus or not get hit by a car at a crossing) it also has a tendency to happen. It's over very quickly and I can put weight on it again...but the pain remains for a few minutes.

It really is a complete bugger.
    I spent 2 years travelling Australia. Check out my travel blog at http://travelpod.com/members/helenlear

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shine For This Useful Post:

deannegirl (11-13-2012), Numpty (11-13-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Shine, that's it exactly! That's exactly what's happening with my hip and I'm too scared to test it by trying to move quickly suddenly or jog or run because I don't want to fall (because I'm a bit wimp at heart and I cry easily ~lol~).

My bloods came back as all normal although it wouldn't be the first time I've had normal bloods during a flare so who knows. Have been just kinda left to get on with it myself by the GP now until my next Rhumy appointment in February. Damn I love living in the UK (not!). Pain killers are helping lots though but am still having trouble moving during the night or when the alarm goes off etc but if that's the least of my worries I can manage with that I guess.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Numpty For This Useful Post:

deannegirl (11-13-2012)

Thanks

I've never had really abnormal bloods, just ANA and dnDNA flagging up once or twice. But this hip thing is on and off...it will bother me for a few weeks then I won't have it for a while which lulls me into a false sense of security. I'm reckoning it's something to do with inflammation in the hip joint...even though I have never shown inflammation in blood tests, ever! (What else us causing all of this joint pain eh?)

Make sure your room is warm during the cold UK winter...glad I don't have to cope with that any more! Although NZ is pretty cold compared to Aus and has been a shock to my system!
    I spent 2 years travelling Australia. Check out my travel blog at http://travelpod.com/members/helenlear