Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red, hot ears.

Thanks

Default Red, hot ears.

For a few weeks now, my ears get red, hot and burn.
    The only thing I have done differently lately, is that I put my hair up and my ears are " exposed", before they were covered by my hair.
    I don't spend any time in the sun, but I am under those BAAAAD lights at work. Do you think, it could be the flourescent lights? The lights do not bother any other part of my skin, but I think they are the culprit to my ocular migraines.
    Oh I forgot, ones the ears get red and hot, they also itch.
    Any ideas?

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Have you considered it being your lupus rash. I know my classic butterfly rash spreads to my ears, even when my lupus isn't really acting up. My ears get red and itch like crazy I also get little scabs on them.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

It could definitely get be from the florescent lights. If your ears have always been protected (with your hair) then the exposure could be causing the rash and could, in turn, actually cause a flare if you are not careful. I would suggest trying to cover them in sunscreen and seeing if that works. It would tell you if it was from the lighting
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I got me an idea the other day from a couple posts here, and from doing epsom salt baths... wouldn't it be great if you could dip yourself in a bath or a rinse that would do a sunscreen for you?... 'Course, I can only imagine the allergic reactions some of us would have... lol

As a different way to test your ears Debbie, maybe you could wear a brimmed hat to work one day? Might look a bit odd on a woman in the work place, but cowboy hats go practically unnoticed on men... <)|;^) - that emoticon almost looks like a dunce cap. rather fitting for me, eh? Most work places now have flourscent "filters" on the fixtures (those plastic diffusers), but not all places do that. Of interest: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1642660

There's also a listing in wikipedia for Red Ear Syndrome, but the significance of that, I have no idea. It seems like it would be something to mention to your docs though, since it might be part of your malar rash, or something else autoimmune...
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

I wore hats to work. Not really for my ears but I began to notice that the top of my head hurt and I was flaring from the lights hitting them. In the US the law says that an employer must allow any reasonable act to help a disability and a hat is reasonable.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mica View Post
    Have you considered it being your lupus rash. I know my classic butterfly rash spreads to my ears, even when my lupus isn't really acting up. My ears get red and itch like crazy I also get little scabs on them.
    I don't really have a butterfly rash, per se, but I do have some red spots on my cheeks, when I flare. So I guess, it is possible.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmail View Post
    I got me an idea the other day from a couple posts here, and from doing epsom salt baths... wouldn't it be great if you could dip yourself in a bath or a rinse that would do a sunscreen for you?... 'Course, I can only imagine the allergic reactions some of us would have... lol

As a different way to test your ears Debbie, maybe you could wear a brimmed hat to work one day? Might look a bit odd on a woman in the work place, but cowboy hats go practically unnoticed on men... <)|;^) - that emoticon almost looks like a dunce cap. rather fitting for me, eh? Most work places now have flourscent "filters" on the fixtures (those plastic diffusers), but not all places do that. Of interest: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1642660

There's also a listing in wikipedia for Red Ear Syndrome, but the significance of that, I have no idea. It seems like it would be something to mention to your docs though, since it might be part of your malar rash, or something else autoimmune...
    No, I can't wear a hat to work, I work in a grocery store. My company would have a fit. We aren't even allowed to drink water at the register, even though I have sjogrens and have to drink water all day long. I told them I can get a note from the doctor, but was told, they couldn't make any exceptions.

Debbie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    It could definitely get be from the florescent lights. If your ears have always been protected (with your hair) then the exposure could be causing the rash and could, in turn, actually cause a flare if you are not careful. I would suggest trying to cover them in sunscreen and seeing if that works. It would tell you if it was from the lighting
    I have tried that today, so far it hasn't helped, but I'll give it a few more days.

Debbie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    I wore hats to work. Not really for my ears but I began to notice that the top of my head hurt and I was flaring from the lights hitting them. In the US the law says that an employer must allow any reasonable act to help a disability and a hat is reasonable.
    But only, if you are offically disabled, right?

Debbie

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by debbie-b View Post
    But only, if you are offically disabled, right?

Debbie
    You know through the government it is hard to get disability, try getting a doctors note, and if you have multiple doctors get one from all, and try that. Actually if your main manager in the store won't look at it submit them to the corporate offices. Also, I don't think having a bottle of water and a hat is unreasonable for them accommodate for you. You might want to look into the better business bureau and see if there is anything that can be done.