Thread: the liver speaks

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default the liver speaks

went to my doctor last Friday for my all around check up. test results came back today- I have beginning stage cirrhosis. I rarely drink, I don't have hepatitis anything, I don't smoke. I lead a boring life (with the exception of an unasked for drama now and again) and yet, I have cirrhosis. Alrighty then. I laughed in the general direction of dear doc when she could figure out why I have it. So I asked: does having an autimmune disease possibly be a factor? well, yes, yes it could. WELL THERE YA GO- THANK YOU LUPUS. She wanted originally to attribute it to weight gain (granted I need to loose a pound or several, but I'm not guinness book of records obese, I can still shop in the "normal" size departments for petes sake!). Anyhow, so our plan of attack? Diet and exercise, ah yes, the "cure all". Better than drugs that cure one thing but kill something else right? I guess the good news is that I had already started down the path of clean living recently. Gave up ALL alcohol (as of this morning...), haven't had a soda in almost a year, taking my vitamins, blah blah blah. And yes, started drinking my "homemade hooch" aka KOMBUCHA WHICH is a detoxifier. So now my dear husband will undoubtedly spend way too many hours on the computer researching cirrhosis and he'll bombard me with texts (yeah, he loves me...)
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

im sorry to hear that. i hope they can treat it and that you will feel better
    lisa
    dx with sle 02/2012 on 10 mg prednisone, 20 mgs simvistatin 7.5 mg meloxicam ,400mg plaquenil,12.5 mgs methotrexate

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Many of our meds can harm the liver it is why the docs must keep such a close eye on it. Another thing I found when researching on another thread is that The American Cancer Society has reported liver damage from that Kombucha Tea that you were drinking (see Live Strong link below).

Kombucha Tea and Liver Damage
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

How has she diagnosed it, did you have a liver biopsy?
    Only a biopsy can tell for sure, what is wrong with you liver. It could be cirrhosis, fatty liver or hepatitis ( inflammation) and off course cancer.
    In my case it is autoimmune hepatitis aka Lupus attacking the liver. So, unless you have had a liver biopsy (I can't remember if you did), the diagnosis is unsure.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

ruziska (10-03-2012), tgal (10-03-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

As far as Kombucha is concerned, I've read studies about it being good for the liver than bad. The reports about Kombucha being unhealthy seem to stem from unsterile practices more than anything else. Face it, if we really research what we consume, we'd all be shocked and grossed out. GMOs, BGHs, processed and refined, chemicals galore... it is difficult to find pure unadulterated food anymore. Not impossible, but difficult and certainly not cheap. I know exactly what is going into my Kombucha. I use filtered water and organic tea. Unfortunately, it prefers refined white sugar, but I keep that to a minimum. Now that it is just the hubby and myself, we eat better since we can now concentrate on quality over quantity. Not that I fed the kids a diet of junk food, its just that now I can eliminate all processed "food". Daughter has flat out said she's never eating at my house again because I don't cook the "good stuff" anymore.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

Did your doc say "fatty liver" syndrome, or disease? Cirrosis is scarring damage to the liver, whereas the "fatty liver" stuff is inflammation and other symptoms, that can eventually cause damage. Is your thyroid off? Hashimoto's can cause issues with your lipid count, which def contributes, as do nsaids, tylenol, etc...
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."