Thread: Gotta love people- livedo reticularis

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Default Gotta love people- livedo reticularis

I don't wear shorts anymore outside of my house. Even in the 100 plus degree heat I am too self conscious. The funny thing is that I was self conscious about the fact about the weight I have put on since the meds (especially the steroids) and the fact that my legs are stark white because they never get to see the sun. I hadn't even thought about being concerned about the livedo reticularis! I am so used to seeing the purple designs on my legs that I just never thought about it!

So yesterday I was helping a friend make homecoming mums and it was so hot up there and I was exhausted (we have been making mums for about a week and a half) that I decided to wear shorts. Who was going to see me, right? Of course her mother in law had to come up to help and she is a great woman. She has fibro so understands the fog and feeling bad. I made the comment about not wearing shorts in front of people or I wouldn't have had them on if I had known they were coming. She wrapped her arm around me and said " Oh don't worry about that. My legs look just like that except for the purple designs you have on yours". OMG! Why hadn't I thought of that before? Not only can I not wear shorts now I can't wear my capri type jeans (yes, they are one of those things I thought I would NEVER wear and are not really in style but it is my cool option) because now I will be worried about those "designs" on my legs. Yes, they are on my arms as well but they show up much worse on my legs.

I know I shouldn't worry about what people think but DANG
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Mari,
    I say wear whatever is comfortable for you and if anyone comments, pretend that they are fabulous tattoos!
    Hugs,
    Marla

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (09-25-2012), tgal (09-21-2012)

Thanks

What a coincedents(sp), just today, a customer of mine said, " aren't you glad, your face doesn't have the purple markings, like the ones all over your arms?" I was so shocked, I didn't know what to say, thats not like me, I usually come right back, with a smarta.. remark. Mine is like yours, my legs are even worse. But I tell you one thing, I will not wear long sleeved shirts, I get to hot.
    If these people don't like it, they shoudn't look. If this woman wouldn't have been a customer, I would have said, " at least I can hide my arms with sleeves, what are you going to do with your face, to hide it?"
    My grandkids asked me what it is and I explained, that it has to do with my illness. The only concern they had, was, if it hurts. And my 10 year old grandson said, " well Oma, if it doesn't hurt, who cares, right?"

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

magistramarla (09-21-2012), SleepyInSeattle (09-25-2012), tgal (09-21-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

I really don't understand people! I would NEVER say something like that to someone! Guess it was in the air, Debbie !

Thanks Marla! I needed that!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Wow! I never thought about that either...guess I should be prepared. I'm covered....upper arms, full legs, (belly and breats and thighs are the worse-but that's always hidden) the lower legs are newer. People can be so insensitive! I have a freckle on my lip and kids ask about it all the time but adults have even said "hey what's on your lip? A pices of...fill in the blank...drives me nuts!
    *Darla*-forever awaiting answers-

Romans 5:5 "Hope does not disappoint"

"If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have none at all-and I'm Irish!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by debbie-b View Post
    What a coincedents(sp), just today, a customer of mine said, " aren't you glad, your face doesn't have the purple markings, like the ones all over your arms?" I was so shocked, I didn't know what to say, thats not like me, I usually come right back, with a smarta.. remark...
    "Aren't you glad you don't have purple marks all over *your* face that look like knuckle imprints?"... tic |;^)
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (09-25-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmail View Post
    "Aren't you glad you don't have purple marks all over *your* face that look like knuckle imprints?"... tic |;^)
    Good one.lol

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

I think they're just jealous because we all have built-in fishnet stockings and full-length lace gloves... ;-P

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyInSeattle View Post
    I think they're just jealous because we all have built-in fishnet stockings and full-length lace gloves... ;-P
    Just add a bustier and va-va-voom!

People are dimwits. Even the nice ones. I bet when your friend got home and thought about her comment, she felt like a clod. I know I've said things and later wished I could take them back.

I'm sorry she hurt your feelings and made you feel self-conscious. Ten-one, she is, too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BonusMom View Post
    Just add a bustier and va-va-voom!

People are dimwits. Even the nice ones. I bet when your friend got home and thought about her comment, she felt like a clod. I know I've said things and later wished I could take them back.

I'm sorry she hurt your feelings and made you feel self-conscious. Ten-one, she is, too.
    My bustier is fishnet as well, but only my husband gets to see that.

Debbie