Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memory Loss

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Memory Loss

I'll keep this brief (for a change). For about a year now, my short term memory is horrific! People tell me things or make arrangements with me and then in a week or so, they'll remind me and I have no idea of what they're talking about. Literally -- no idea. I write things down and then wonder if I really made the appt., or is it a reminder. I joined a support group of sorts where we set goals and such. At the end of the day we were each going over our goals and I didn't recall having set any. But they were there! My long term memory is a savior as I need to be able to handle basic functions but I now add this disclosure to everyone, "call and remind me!!"

Has this happened to anyone else?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

This is one of the first things that happened to me. I have actually been diagnosed with short term memory loss although they are not sure if it is from the Lupus itself or the seizures that the Lupus brought on. I keep a white board in my kitchen so things I need to be reminded of during the day are right in front of me. I use my cell phone for reminders to do things and I even have a medicine app that tells me when it is time to take meds simply because I forget. I have argued with people over things I have no memory of them telling me and, if you can believe this, I can't keep up with how old I am.

So to answer your question... yes, I understand completely
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

i am with mari i keep a whiteboard and a dairy in my purse andsticky notes on the fridge and i request doctors call me the day before my appointments to remind me. i use tablet box that sets out my tablets for the day.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Yeah, my short-term memory is definitely not what it used to be, and it does get worse during a flare. Long term memory is really no problem, and I've not really noticed any trouble recalling the older info.

Even though each person's symptoms are mostly unique to them, brainfog is a pretty common thing for all of us I think.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I feel your pain, i'm lucky I remember my pants in the morning. The long term memory is great but I have trouble remembering the little things. Like the other week I was cooking, I enjoy cooking, and I was making a quiche. I had it ready to go and like 10 minutes before it was I done I realized I never put a crust in it. Of course my mother had to put her 2 cents in saying she noticed that before I put it in the over. If you noticed why didn't you tell me!? I have that problem a lot at least I haven't locked my keys in the car in a while. Small miracles! I have notes everywhere to remind me, white boards, cork boards, notes in my phone, and still I forget. I just tell people that I am most likely going to forget so don't expect anything from me!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

What are we talking about? Oh yeah. Memory issues. Lots of fun at work. I have a huge stack of scratch paper next to my phone. As soon as someone calls, I write down their name, if I don't immediately, I'll forget who they are before I can deliver the message. I write down almost everything the boss says. Kinda bugs him but that's his problem, not mine. I write it down so I get his directions right and also, if he changes what he said, I've got it written down (he has a nasty habit of doing that to EVERYBODY). I have a continuity binder on my desk with a page dedicated to each and every task and the protocols for each task. Even though I've done them a zillion times, I don't take any chances. The binder also helps in the event I have to take a lengthy time off, my substitute will know what to do. On a possitive note: I tell people I'm great at keeping secrets- between my mother raising me right (in that respect at least) and memory loss, anything they tell me I'll probably forget in 5 minutes anyhow!
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

For a man, they say the second thing to go is the hair... I just can't remember the first... Anyway, when on the plaquenil, my memory came back. When I had to quit the plaq from an allergic reaction (to something), the heavy fog came back in, and the memory loss. I've gotten so bad about it, the wife has started to come with me to my appointments when she can. She also has the nurse practitioner at the pcp's put lots of extra notes on the papers they print out for me, so she can read what they've done/said to me... If I just remember to get them out of the car when I get home... "oops - was that my street?..." - Really strange part of all this? I can remember numbers from 1960-1980, home phone, old employee number from work, passwords, locker combinations, etc... go figure.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Thanks

I seriously thought I had early onset alzheimers. I has so afraid. When i was told i had lupus and the memory loss and brain fog were part of it i was so releived. It's much better now that I'm on plaquenil.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by running girl View Post
    I seriously thought I had early onset alzheimers. I has so afraid. When i was told i had lupus and the memory loss and brain fog were part of it i was so releived. It's much better now that I'm on plaquenil.
    I know what you mean, I thought the same thing. It was a real shock to suddenly be unable to put together a simple sentence. One day I got lost on the way home from the grocery store in the town I grew up in and know like the back of my hand. My first thought was that this must be what it's like to suffer from alzheimers.

I had to stop flying because of brainfog. When I draw a sudden blank while driving, I can just pull over and get help. Draw a blank on final approach while piloting a plane, and you're in big trouble.

As much as the physical pain of SLE and MS wear on me, I really think the sudden short term memory loss has had more of a negative affect on me than the pain has. I can white knuckle it through much of the pain, but there's not much I can do for the memory loss beyond just waiting out my latest flare.

Rob

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

tgal (09-20-2012)

Thanks

My office is also COVERED in post-it notes. Without them I would be completely lost. I'm wondering if anyone has issues with long-term memory as well? I have always had issues with my long-term memory. Not sure if it's Lupus related or something else.
    Best wishes,

M

Lupus, Secondary Raynaud's Phenomenon, Pernio (Chilblains)
    Plaquenil, Amlodipine