Thread: A little bit confused on how to start this

Thanks

Default A little bit confused on how to start this

Hi, I am a 62 year old woman that has a positive ANA and sed rate so my doctor is sending me to a rheumatologist to see if I have lupus or RA. I have been reading on different sites and on one site it says for me to put down symptoms. Well I have none. I have MS so I already have some crazy symptoms which some of them could mimic lupus. I have some aches and pains that are not joint related that they have never found an answer to. I don't know enough about lupus to know if those aches and pains could be lupus. Oh, I also have psoriasis but not all of my lesions are the same. Some don't look anything like my regular psoriasis but I haven't been to a dermatologist in a long time because the treatment is so temporary and expensive. So I guess what I am wanting here is what to expect from a first visit to the rhuemy, especially since I don't know if I have any symptoms.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 1,120 Posts

one of our moderators has both lupus and ms... rob.

you might want to send him a private message.

also the idea of listing your symptoms is....
    when you go to a doctor.. he fills your head with information...and you forget what you wanted to say.
    i suggest listing everything.
    let him decide what is relevant and what is from ms.

the more information he has.......the better he knows how to treat you.

btw..... welcome

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

doydie (09-16-2012), n.mac (09-16-2012)

Thanks

MS is autoimmune. Psoriasis is autoimmune... Have they ever tested you for psoriatic arthritis? Although only like 5% of persons with psoriasis have it develop into arthritis, and it usually happens "early" in the cycle. How long have you had the psoriasis? The ms?... and they haven't tested you for RA before this? Is your current doctor a good listener? Does he/she pay attention to you?

btw, "welcome to WHL!"...
    Last edited by jmail; 09-16-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: forgot my manners!
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

doydie (09-16-2012)

Thanks

Thanks for your comments. So I should just list any symptom I have whether I think they may be lupus or what? I can do that. As far as being tested for psoriatic arthritis, no I have not. Both my family doctor and neurologist are very good listeners. I have had MS since 1997 and I would say psoriasis since 2000. I will send a PM to Rob. I will try to find out how to do that

Thanks

The easiest way to PM is to find one of his posts, click on his user name in the post, and then choose "Private Message". You can also choose "Private Messages" at the top of the site's page, under the "Forum", "Blogs", and "What's New" tabs, which are under the site's banner in the upper left of the screen. On that screen, choose "Send new message" under the "My Messages" section on the left. Type "rob" (no quote marks) in the "Recipient Users" field, whatever you want for the "Title" field, and then the text you want to send. One of the mods will have to tell you the "rules" of PM useage. I'm not sure if it's allowed for new users, nor do I know if you can send a PM to someone who isn't a "friend"... You might have to send rob a "Friend" request first... Can't remember... lol

I was worried about your docs, seeings as you say you're 62, a woman, and they're just now thinking something else autoimmune. My wife had issues with a doctor of hers a few years ago who "blew-off" most women's comments, apparently as "beneath his consideration" (my opinion). I had had similar issues with a doctor of mine earlier, but he was just plain incompetent. The wife's doc was well thougt of, if you were a man.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

doydie (09-16-2012)

Thanks

Well I found the list of moderators and clicked on Rob and PM'd him. I hope it worked. I may call my regualr doctor that has ordered all of this and ask him if I need to get any records form the neuro. To complicate all of this I had a cervical MRI and found out I have quite a few cervical disc issues and have an appointment to see a neurosurgeon. I also have an appointment to see my eye surgeon as my cataract is ready to be taken off. All of these appoints are Oct 1,2 and 3!

Thanks

Hi Doydie,
    Welcome to WHL! AI issues tend to run in packs. I have an overlap of Lupus, Sjogren's RA and Psoriasis. My rheumy in Texas found scalp psoriasis and suspected that my other sores might be from psoriasis. She speculated that my joint pain might be from RA or psoriatic arthritis.
    It's all difficult to pin down, and docs don't even agree.
    Luckily, the treatment for many AI diseases is the same, so that is good.
    Good luck with all those appointments.
    Hugs,
    Marla

11. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

doydie (09-16-2012)