Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pain Management

Thanks

yep, I function better on 3 tramadol a day rather than 2. I was thinking "I should not be relying on this drug" duh. If I take 2 there is no laundry, no working and no nutricious meals. 3- I can do stuff. Narcotics work greak for post op but seem to make me itch or sleep-a good thing. When the staff at the home care agency see Lupus and a huge list of narcotics and then make a judgement it saddens me. I only hope what I teach my patients about chronic pain is helpful. I have told several women about the great spport here and you should see their eyes light up. I tell them about the spoon theory. I have learned a lot from this group about being supported and chronic pain.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeresaCO For This Useful Post:

Abbyrition (09-13-2013), steve.b (09-21-2012)

Thanks

I'm on tramadol too, but I'm worried about the long term effects. As of yet, have you noticed any constipation? (Kinda personal but wondering)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by parkvillepioneer View Post
    I'm on tramadol too, but I'm worried about the long term effects. As of yet, have you noticed any constipation? (Kinda personal but wondering)
    You will find there are no personal questions here. We all hold off asking something and when someone finally does everyone else jumps in with "I have been wondering that too"! LoL

i know the side effects of some of the medications are scary but please keep in mind that untreated lupus is more scary. It leads to organ damage and possible death. ALWAYS pay attention to side effects but never let the "potential" effects outweigh the good the medicines can do because often that good is keeping you alive
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Default Tramadol/constipation

Quote Originally Posted by parkvillepioneer View Post
    I never know if tramadol is the reason I am constipated of the lack of good vegetables and fiber from being unable to cook much. I don't think it's the tramadol as much as my poor diet. When I eat better I don't have a problem, I have to take tramadol to be able to shop and cook. The medication allows me to have a job and enjoy family. I asked the Rheumatologist about long term effects, he said there were " none" meaning I think he has seen far worse effects of more serious drugs. I have seen people on methotrexate in kidney or was it liver failure. But up until the failure they were able to lead a full life. Sad to say they would die from failure but they said they would not have had such a full life with Lupus had they not taken the drug. She was in her 70's

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Any kind of pain killer can cause constipation. You have to make sure to modify your diet if you are taking it (unless you are one of us that also has IBS IR IBD issues with diahreah).
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I take hydrocodone, I try not to take it everyday because of the dependency issues with it. I am looking into other options....which we can't really talk about on here. I can say I did try a professional massage, mostly because I love massages, but it only helped with the pain for like an hour or less after the massage. Think it will just be a nice luxury to do every once in a while.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaCO View Post
    I never know if tramadol is the reason I am constipated of the lack of good vegetables and fiber from being unable to cook much...
    I "cheat"... I use a fibre additive in my tank... tic - but seriously, metamucil (wow, where's the dictionary?? or is that the correct spelling??) and the like help immensely. Also, bump up the water intake. The codiene-based stuff slows me the most. 'sides, I can't take it when I work.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Thanks

Default other options for pain control

Quote Originally Posted by Mica View Post
    I take hydrocodone, I try not to take it everyday because of the dependency issues with it. I am looking into other options....which we can't really talk about on here. I can say I did try a professional massage, mostly because I love massages, but it only helped with the pain for like an hour or less after the massage. Think it will just be a nice luxury to do every once in a while.
    My neighbor had a pet sitter with Lupus and FM and a few other things. She did ok as a pet sitter under the table. She and I had many of the same issues. She was a very valued person and as a pet sitter was fabulous. She was unable to have a job but as a pet sitter she could set her own hours. Well then she started medical marijuana and out the window went her ability to remember, and the neighbor couldn't use or nor can I. My pets have medical needs I need someone on top of things. I know Medical marijuana is a Godsend for some but I am upset I lost the chance for a great petsitter and she has lost employment. I am hoping she can work it out so she has relief and a brain. Maybe it's the mix of the pain meds and Medical MJ.

I do know that if I use my natural supplemnts there are days I think I don't need as much pain meds. Wow maybe I can wean off ; ) Especially milk which makes my feet feel like they are broken. As an Homecare OT I get to see at least 5 people a year in an exacerbation. We do lots of education and use the " spoon theory" as many seemed to have got into the exacerbation from stressing themselves. I was able to steer some to this sight and they were so thankful as I think having support really lessens pain too.

I know my body is addicted to Tramadol because if I forget it crashes. I have to wean of slowly but then have no ability to work so I take it and try all the other healthy living stuff.
    here it's Christmas and I have been gorging on chocolate and I know my inflamation is through the roof. I hope to get back on track and use the pain meds to cook veges and good food and sneak a few chocolates. I know i will feel much better too if I take my vitamins 2 x and not 1 x a day.

Someday I too may need medical Marijuana and I'm glad it can help and is available for those in need.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaCO View Post
    My neighbor had a pet sitter with Lupus and FM and a few other things. She did ok as a pet sitter under the table. She and I had many of the same issues. She was a very valued person and as a pet sitter was fabulous. She was unable to have a job but as a pet sitter she could set her own hours. Well then she started medical marijuana and out the window went her ability to remember, and the neighbor couldn't use or nor can I. My pets have medical needs I need someone on top of things. I know Medical marijuana is a Godsend for some but I am upset I lost the chance for a great petsitter and she has lost employment. I am hoping she can work it out so she has relief and a brain. Maybe it's the mix of the pain meds and Medical MJ.

I do know that if I use my natural supplemnts there are days I think I don't need as much pain meds. Wow maybe I can wean off ; ) Especially milk which makes my feet feel like they are broken. As an Homecare OT I get to see at least 5 people a year in an exacerbation. We do lots of education and use the " spoon theory" as many seemed to have got into the exacerbation from stressing themselves. I was able to steer some to this sight and they were so thankful as I think having support really lessens pain too.

I know my body is addicted to Tramadol because if I forget it crashes. I have to wean of slowly but then have no ability to work so I take it and try all the other healthy living stuff.
    here it's Christmas and I have been gorging on chocolate and I know my inflamation is through the roof. I hope to get back on track and use the pain meds to cook veges and good food and sneak a few chocolates. I know i will feel much better too if I take my vitamins 2 x and not 1 x a day.

Someday I too may need medical Marijuana and I'm glad it can help and is available for those in need.
    I have nothing against medical marijuana, but I think like half of the users actually need it but the other half abuse it. I would use it too if it wasn't for the fact that I live in Texas and its not legal here.

Thanks

I am new here and I also refused to take pain meds until I was crying all night long and my husband told me he would put me in the truck and take me to the hospital if I didn't do something for the pain so the dr put me on loratab. I have never gotten high or buzzed from taking them they just ease the pain enough for me to be able to live and move without crying but I hate to feel like I am so weak that I have to take them