Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pain Management

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Pain Management

So my lupus bothers my joints. Right now it is hard to walk because both my feet feel like they are broken. Its hard to make a fist and my left knee is starting to hurts as well. lol Im just falling apart. Does anyone else have this issue and what has been your best pain management? What pain meds have helped you the most? The only meds I am taking for lupus is plaquenil 200 mg twice a day.

Thanks

I get moderate pain relief from a combination of 7.5mg Mobic (generic meloxicam - it's an NSAID) + 50mg tramadol, twice a day. It takes the edge off, I'm usually functional, and it doesn't interfere with my thinking.

I had much better luck with naproxen 500mg as my NSAID of choice, but it started to give me horrid stomach aches every time I took it, so my doctor switched me to Mobic, which has been easier on my stomach.

Thanks

MY doctor offered me pain meds the last time a saw her. But I think the less medications you are on the better. I hate taking meds. But now.. I want pain meds. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. lol trying to be tough i guess and that is just failing real quick.

Thanks

So there are pain meds, and there are Pain Meds.

Mobic is an NSAID, just like ibuprofen or Aleve-- just a different formulation. So, it's a pretty well-researched, low-side effect drug. Tramadol is a non-narcotic painkiller for moderate pain, and while it made me a little buzzy feeling at first, I have no significant side effects from it now. So, these are pretty benign meds, in my opinion.

And then there are narcotics, like Vicodin and OxyContin, that people often think of when someone says "pain meds." These are stronger, but also carry more risk of interfering with your mental clarity and a risk of dependence or addiction. I do not take these because my job requires that I be clear-headed, and honestly, I don't like the stoned feeling I get from them.

Now, on to what you said about hating taking meds.

I think most of us here agree with you that we'd all rather NOT be taking the pill cocktails we take multiple times a day. It's not fun, and medications always carry a risk of side-effects. But you really do have to weigh the benefits of the medications against the perceived negatives. It's great that you're taking Plaquenil because that can go a long way to keeping your lupus in check.

But even though no one likes to take a bunch of pills, we are lucky enough to live in a time and place where medications that can pretty effectively address pain exist. Even though I don't enjoy my bottles that rattle around in the bottom of my purse and all the pills I swallow every day, you know what's worse? The pain I'd be in without them. So, don't feel like you have to be tough. No one deserves to be in pain, and there are some very effective and relatively benign ways of managing pain out there!

So, have you tried any NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs)? You could start by taking a couple of over-the-counter Aleve and see how it works for you. You might be surprised at how effective NSAIDs can be for the type of inflammatory pain we have. If it works, you should talk to your doctor because if you're going to take NSAIDs for more than a couple of weeks, your doctor needs to know about it. And your doctor will probably give you a prescription for an NSAID, so it will be cheaper than purchasing over the counter, and advise you on how to monitor for side-effects like stomach problems.

As far as non-medication ways of dealing with pain, I have some luck occasionally with using a heating pad for pain relief.

I'm sorry you're in pain, and I hope you find something that works for you soon! Keep us posted on if you try something and what works.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derrie For This Useful Post:

n.mac (09-15-2012), steve.b (09-15-2012)

Thanks

I'm on tramadol too, but I'm worried about the long term effects. As of yet, have you noticed any constipation? (Kinda personal but wondering)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by parkvillepioneer View Post
    I'm on tramadol too, but I'm worried about the long term effects. As of yet, have you noticed any constipation? (Kinda personal but wondering)
    You will find there are no personal questions here. We all hold off asking something and when someone finally does everyone else jumps in with "I have been wondering that too"! LoL

i know the side effects of some of the medications are scary but please keep in mind that untreated lupus is more scary. It leads to organ damage and possible death. ALWAYS pay attention to side effects but never let the "potential" effects outweigh the good the medicines can do because often that good is keeping you alive
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Default Tramadol/constipation

Quote Originally Posted by parkvillepioneer View Post
    I never know if tramadol is the reason I am constipated of the lack of good vegetables and fiber from being unable to cook much. I don't think it's the tramadol as much as my poor diet. When I eat better I don't have a problem, I have to take tramadol to be able to shop and cook. The medication allows me to have a job and enjoy family. I asked the Rheumatologist about long term effects, he said there were " none" meaning I think he has seen far worse effects of more serious drugs. I have seen people on methotrexate in kidney or was it liver failure. But up until the failure they were able to lead a full life. Sad to say they would die from failure but they said they would not have had such a full life with Lupus had they not taken the drug. She was in her 70's

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Any kind of pain killer can cause constipation. You have to make sure to modify your diet if you are taking it (unless you are one of us that also has IBS IR IBD issues with diahreah).
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I take hydrocodone, I try not to take it everyday because of the dependency issues with it. I am looking into other options....which we can't really talk about on here. I can say I did try a professional massage, mostly because I love massages, but it only helped with the pain for like an hour or less after the massage. Think it will just be a nice luxury to do every once in a while.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaCO View Post
    I never know if tramadol is the reason I am constipated of the lack of good vegetables and fiber from being unable to cook much...
    I "cheat"... I use a fibre additive in my tank... tic - but seriously, metamucil (wow, where's the dictionary?? or is that the correct spelling??) and the like help immensely. Also, bump up the water intake. The codiene-based stuff slows me the most. 'sides, I can't take it when I work.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."