Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does raynaud's always include a colour change in the affected extremities?

Thanks

Question Does raynaud's always include a colour change in the affected extremities?

I am yet undiagnosed with a rheumatic AI but am in the process of being tested (by my GP) after years of dismissing symptoms to "getting older" and unlucky genetics. I'm collecting all my past symptoms onto paper so I will be prepared to help a rheumatologist diagnose me, or push to see a rheumatologist if my tests aren't definitive.

Anyway, my question is: Does Raynaud's always have to involve a colour change when your toes and hands get cold?

I've had cold fingers and toes for decades and thought nothing of them; cold nose too... and sometimes bum (my backside, unfortunately, can be considered an extremity LOL). It's the type of cold that others can feel; I can chase my kids around the house with threats to touch their bare bellies with my fingers. If I sit at the computer f and they will run shrieking. If I sit down for an hour, my hands and feet get so cold, they will hurt a bit and it takes some time and effort to warm them up. At bedtime, I just assumed they were getting so cold because my bp drops and pulse slows, and I have a low bp and pulse as it is.

Anyways, I now know that this could be Raynaud's but I wonder because my hands never change colour and my feet only occasionally get a bit reddish. Thankfully my nose hasn't gone blue either... I've never checked if my (ahem) posterior extremity changed colour but I doubt it. LOL I live in western Canada near the Rockies so it's cool to cold here about 8 months of the year but weather can't always be the cause of my coldness. It's unseasonably warm today, already up to about 20C but I've been sitting at the computer for 45 minutes and my fingers are cold and my toes are starting to ache.

Thanks for any insights you can offer.

Could that be a symptom of Raynaud's?
    Nicole S

Acceptance is the key to happiness.

ITP - 1993
    Celiac - 2012
    Hashimoto's - 2012

CANADIAN

Thanks

My fingers and feet are always freezing, but only the fingers turn a very very slight bluish color at the very tips. And altho my feet are freezing, my toes are burning. Not diagnosed with anything yet but seeing a new rheum in October.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Raynauds is more than just having cold fingers/toes/nose ect. It has to do with the narrowing of the arteries which slows the blood flow and does cause color change. Below you will find a link to the Mayo Clinic's info on this condition. Hope this helps!

http://www.http://www.mayoclinic.com...isease/DS00433
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Manderson - Cold feet and burning toes... The only time I get that is when I've been out in the cold and not dressed warm enough (we get into the -20'sC for a few months of the year), and then when I come back in from the cold it feels like my coldest parts are burning as they heat up again... or thaw. Good luck with your new rheumy!

Thanks for the link, Mari. I looked at it, and some others and it looks like the colour changes have to be observed for it to be considered Raynaud's. I've had some redness almost to the point of purple but never red, white and blue. I guess it's just low BP, low temperature (I'm usually in the 96'sF) and Canadian weather. I'll make a note of it for the docs since I seem to have colder hands and feet than most people I've met.
    Nicole S

ITP - 1993
    Celiac - 2012
    Hashimoto's - 2012

CANADIAN

Thanks

Nicole,
    I've had the same thing with toes that turn purple, but I can't blame the weather. Where I'm living, the temp is always between 55-70 degrees, year-round. My feet and hands start to get cold as soon as the sun starts to go down. I wear warm fuzzy socks to bed.
    I mentioned it to my rheumy, and she said "Raynauds" without even looking. She just said "wear warm socks".
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Marla, I have a mental picture of your doc with her nose stuck in her notes and not even looking up as she deadpans, "Raynaud's, Wear warm socks." LOL So it could be Raynaud's (perhaps mild?) if it's without a colour change? I'll mention it when I see my doctor. Thanks.

Sometimes I wish this AI stuff was a bit more black and white; all this grey gets a bit ... I don't know... Somewhere between confusing and frustrating. lol
    Nicole S

ITP - 1993
    Celiac - 2012
    Hashimoto's - 2012

CANADIAN

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nvsmom View Post
    Marla, I have a mental picture of your doc with her nose stuck in her notes and not even looking up as she deadpans, "Raynaud's, Wear warm socks." LOL So it could be Raynaud's (perhaps mild?) if it's without a colour change? I'll mention it when I see my doctor. Thanks.

Sometimes I wish this AI stuff was a bit more black and white; all this grey gets a bit ... I don't know... Somewhere between confusing and frustrating. lol
    You nailed it! That is exactly what she did!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,106 Posts

nicole,
    if you are lucky enough to get a doctor who listens and acts on your symptoms.....
    it is possible to have reynauds and not get the coloured toes.

i have never had badly coloured toes, but i have had mild colour changes.
    my doctor diagnosed me......
    and he offered a sample of the required medication.
    it made a huge difference and i now take it every day.
    (i forget the name of the medication)

Thanks

I too, have no color change other then mild redness but my feet and hands are and have been always freezing! Sometimes I've seen a very mild blueish tint on my big toe. I've never thought it to be reynauds...until now. I will also discuss with my doc and see what's going on. Good luck!
    *Darla*-forever awaiting answers-

Romans 5:5 "Hope does not disappoint"

"If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have none at all-and I'm Irish!"

Thanks

I wonder if you are having "color change" but you just aren't noticing. When mine first started the tips of my fingers would just drain of color, which wasn't always obvious because I'm so pale to begin with. Within a few months my fingers and toes were just purple all the time. I dont go through the normal color change. My rheum thinks there could be some other mild vascular problem causing my index finger to almost always be purple. Its purple tint is normal to me, I literally don't notice it when people are like whats wrong with your finger? I say what do you mean lol
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, Interstitial Lung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Fibromyalgia, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 60mg Nifedipine, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, Trazadone, 8mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

My old profile on here http://forum.wehavelupus.com/member.php?22042-ritzbit