Thread: Not sure..

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Not sure..

Hi! I registered for this site because I have recently had some lab work come back with certain things that were not normal and much of what I have researched appears to be symptoms of Lupus. I learned that there are many symptoms and not everyone has the same ones. Here is some of the information. The first was a Rheumatoid factor that was elevated (254) and a low White Blood Count. Then today I received the results of C3, C4 and Complement CH50. The C3 and C4 were in range, but the CH50 was elevated. I have experienced fatigue, joint pain, muscle pain and weakness. I tend to get sick very easily, especially with sore throats. And the thing that I never thought to tell my doctor because I thought it was psoriasis is that I get red raised patches on my scalp. I have a call into my doctor of course and she has already referred me to the Rhematologist (she did this before the Complement results came back). I guess my question is this consistent symptoms with Lupus? Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Hi ssislandgirl71, and welcome to WHL! Be careful of self-diagnosis. No need to get in front of the horse pulling the wagon, especially since he might step on your toes... But you can research and "steel" yourself, even preparing for a doctor's visit with info that you find. The white blood cell count has a "compliment" usually, where one goes low, another goes high. But the "normal" course with low white count is an infection that's being, or has just been fought off. and the doc will use that info as a help for diagnosis, along with the other test results (they usually say "hmmm" quite often). The rheumy may order other, more specific tests. Definitely tell the docs about your scalp (write yourself notes with questions to ask the docs). Psoriasis is in the "family". There's a "stickie" on the site here somewhere (just above here??) that lists all the different autoimmune diseases. Quite a borgasmord (that's a mixed-up smorgasbord) of diseases... tic - Elevated RA goes with just about everyone of them.
    Last edited by jmail; 09-13-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: more commentary...
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

steve.b (09-13-2012), tgal (09-16-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

hi, and welcome

Thanks

Jmail is so right!!!!! No more looking up information and worrying yourself. We could all research are results and medications and think we will not make it through the night! Just relax and let the doctors run the tests needed. I also get the raised bumps on my scalp and the doctors say it is my immune system acting up but they do eventually go away I have to warn you that you are embarking on a long battle just to diagnosis. Hopefully yours will be shorter than most. I still get frustrated at how slow the medical system is but I have to understand there is a process for a reason and being the patient, I don't know that specific reason. Keep telling us how you feel and load your fears onto us and we will carry them when you no longer can. Everything will be ok and we will be here right next to you every step of the way!!!!!!
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

There is a fine line between keeping informed and going overboard. It is very important that you stay on top of everything going on with you. Keep a journal with all of your symptoms and a list of all of your test results that come out abnormal. Know what they could mean because your doctor works for you, you don't work for him! It is important that you have a doctor that is willing to listen as well as help you. On the other hand, as said above, AI symptoms can actually be so many other things you don't want to freak yourself out needlessly.

We will be here for you as you travel down this path. You are now part of our family and family never has to handle things alone
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    There is a fine line between keeping informed and going overboard......
    this is one of the harder things to do.
    most web site list the horrible effects of disorders....
    not the normal effects, or the expected effects with medicine.

when i was first diagnosed.....
    i became very scared from what i could find out about lupus.
    but as i really learnt the modern facts.....
    life is not so scarey.

becareful what you read on the web.