Thread: Lupus Loop!

Thanks

Default Lupus Loop!

Hello All!

I started a new position at my job so I apologize for being MIA recently, but I've still been thinking of you all!

I wanted to share some great news with everyone. We often only turn to each other when in crisis and I wanted you all to hear some good news in the mix!

As most of you know I was diagnosed this past April. I had a really difficult time right after being diagnosed and got sicker as a result. But I've been on Plaquenil for the past 6 months and I am happy to say that I am feeling better than I have literally my entire life. For the first time ever I know what it's like to have energy. I've seriously felt fatigued every day of my life until now. Not to say that I'm perfect, but in comparison it's not even close. Obviously there is still a fear of flare haunting me always, but there's nothing we can do about that.

So, the best news is that since I started to feel better I have decided to seriously train for the Philadelphia Lupus Loop 5k in October. Keep in mind that I have never been able to run in my life. I started to run about 4 weeks ago and I think my mile was somewhere just under 15 minutes (which took a lot out of me to achieve). WELL, I've been running almost everyday, at least 3 times a week. I ran last night and I ran my first mile in 9:39 (a personal best) and I finished 5k in 33:07 (another personal best)! I'm telling you all of this because I never thought that this would be possible for me. I've found myself able to view things more positively since I've been feeling better. Everyday when I run there's always a time where I begin to hurt and feel exhausted. That's the time where I tell myself that I'm doing this for my future self. That there may come a day where not only can I not run, but that walking may be difficult. I'm hoping that everytime I run, I'm pushing that day further and further away.

My team for the Loop has also raised over $900 already and my goal keeps getting higher and higher!

I'll keep you all updated on my progress but I wanted to let you all know that I'm thinking of you thoughout this and that I'm running for all of you as well!
    Best wishes,

M

Lupus, Secondary Raynaud's Phenomenon, Pernio (Chilblains)
    Plaquenil, Amlodipine

2. The Following User Says Thank You to theLword For This Useful Post:

jmail (09-13-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

GREAT news about you.
    good news about the run.

thanks for sharing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

theLword (09-13-2012)

Thanks

That is so cool you're doing a run, and for a good cause, to boot.

You've rather inspired me, to be honest. I've never run a mile, let alone five. I may not be able to run right now, but now you've got me thinking-- what goal can I set for myself that will be a challenge, but do-able? And is there something I can do to challenge myself and do good for others at the same time?

Thank you for the inspiration. Keep us posted on how training for and the actual Loop goes? So awesome!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Derrie For This Useful Post:

theLword (09-13-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

That is so awesome!!!! We really love hearing good news so thank you for sharing! Good luck in the race!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

theLword (09-13-2012)

Thanks

Glad to hear you are feeling so well. Good luck in your race - and have fun!
    ~ Morrison
    SLE and Sjogrens
    It's hard to take over the world when you sleep 20 hours a day (Get Fuzzy)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MorrisonGal For This Useful Post:

theLword (09-13-2012)

Thanks

Having fun, *and* raising money for the lupies!
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Thanks

That is wonderful news!!!!! I am so happy you shared your good news with all of us!!!!! I think it is fantastic you are going to train for the marathon. I always tell my better half that when I am up to it I would love to run!!!!! He always tells me there is an art to it so we will see if I can pick this up!!!!!!! Please keep us posted on your training!!!!! I am very excited fo ryou and your family right now!!!!!!
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram