Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever smile at people in the store to see who smiles back?

Thanks

Cool Do you ever smile at people in the store to see who smiles back?

This is something I do when I'm in a really good mood, or I want to get in a good mood. It just makes me feel like the world is a nicer place than I imagine when I'm feeling down. When I go to the grocery store I try to meet people's eyes and smile at them. Not in a weird way, just like, smile and nod or maybe say "good morning" or "hello". It seems like about 1/3 of people won't meet my eyes and just ignore me, another 1/3 smile right back, and the other 1/3 seem really pleased or surprised that someone smiled and them and it makes them smile too.
    I had a good experience with this yesterday when I went grocery shopping. I've been in a flare for about 3 weeks and I have been soooo ill. I was a mess in sweats, a kerchief and flipflops because, well, I really just want to be comfy when I roll out of bed and into the store. I was pushing the cart so it could both hold me up and protect me from the other shoppers. I was shuffling along, anxious and worried when other shoppers were whizzing around me, giving me dirty looks, and a couple people bumped into me (which hurt!) My boyfriend was also visibly annoyed that I was slow, which wasn't helping. But then I decided to start smiling at people, and that seemed to make people act more compassionately and patiently towards me, and lifted my spirits.
    ~ Morrison
    SLE and Sjogrens
    It's hard to take over the world when you sleep 20 hours a day (Get Fuzzy)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MorrisonGal For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (09-03-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I try to smile at people but I always end up feeling very awkward. So most of the time I let people smile at me first. Whenever I do smile at people its a very nervous smile accompanied with a shaky laugh. I guess I want to be polite but I can't shake off my social anxiety. I'm not suggesting that you have that though. Just thought you should know that the whole smiling at people thing is hard for others as well, such as myself. I'm sorry to hear about your flare ups. I hope things get better for you.
    Living with Lupus Nephritis is not difficult but just a challenge.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I do it a lot, I do get a lot of mornings back. When I'm driving through our neighborhood I wave and 9 out of ten wave back. I had a grouchy old man come into the bakery where I worked during college. My purpose that summer was to get him to smile. By the end of the summer I'd get a smile and a hello.

I've found that kindness is always repaid one way or another

When you're in pain it's easy to be grouchy. Smiling or saying good morning might even help us feel better
    Last edited by Nonna; 09-03-2012 at 05:37 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nonna For This Useful Post:

MorrisonGal (09-08-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

the personal touch is one of the many benifits of living in a country town.

i smile to most people......
    and most smile back.
    it is not unusual for a stranger to say good morning......
    just because we met eyes.

i love this part of our country life.

Thanks

I live in a relatively small town but quite often work in chicago-it is amazing the different reactions to the same act.
    What is considered normal-holding a door for someone or simply smiling and saying good morning at home can get a quite different reaction in the big city.
    People tend to act a bit apprehensive-perhaps suspect of motive,but then tend to warm up!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n.mac View Post
    I live in a relatively small town but quite often work in chicago-it is amazing the different reactions to the same act.
    What is considered normal-holding a door for someone or simply smiling and saying good morning at home can get a quite different reaction in the big city.
    People tend to act a bit apprehensive-perhaps suspect of motive,but then tend to warm up!
    Oh that is Chicago alright; the apprehension is due to fear. At least it was on my part when I worked there. It was taught to me by people around me, especially the cab drivers. Had one tell me not to walk to the train station after 8:00 pm

Thanks

I live in the Pacific Northwest where people tend to be very polite (even if we're kinda in our own world a lot, LOL) - I love it. And I go out of my way to be really kind and appreciative, especially in interactions with people in public spaces. I just think it makes the world better, and it definitely makes ME feel better. Admittedly, sometimes I am having a bad day and it's just a lame half-smile, but I try.

When I visit family on the east coast (NY and Boston), I do the same thing and it's really funny to watch the reactions. It's not so much that people are RUDE there, just that most interactions happen in a kind of impersonal zone. When I really look people in the eye and smile and thank them (cashiers, etc), most of the time I kinda see them open up and smile and be - I dunno - more HUMAN for just an instant. And I hope it makes their day better, and that they pass that feeling on to somebody else.

I know that when I am having a bad day, somebody treating ME that way can make a big difference....

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

MorrisonGal (09-08-2012), steve.b (09-06-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

i like to hear we are not a grumpy lot.

Thanks

... somebody mention grumpy old men?...
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

steve.b (09-07-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n.mac View Post
    It's not even big cities where there is a general mistrust of people -this week I was sitting at a picnic table outside a gas station in a small town near here waiting for my boyfriend who was inside, and a man pulls up and walks over to me, and I start to get a good grip on my handbag and I'm looking all over for my boyfriend and to see where other people are around me. He stopped a ways from me and asked if I knew how to get to some lake. I didn't and suggested maybe there was a map inside. Then I saw him go up to a car full of a family and ask, then he went inside, so he seemed legit, but there is that moment when someone walks up and you just don't know. It's sad, but you have to be careful, maybe more careful than nice though.
    ~ Morrison
    SLE and Sjogrens
    It's hard to take over the world when you sleep 20 hours a day (Get Fuzzy)