Thread: Food

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Food

Lupus has messed with my taste in foods and sometimes I can't stomach meats. I also get where i'm not hungry but thats pretty normal for me. NOW for the past week I have been trouble eating food. Not the actual chewing and stuff but nothing ever sounds good. When I do eat a meal I get a couple of small bites in before I start feeling sick. I am still hungry but now I am at the point where I can't even look at my meal because it's making me nauseous. I have never had this happen before! Also I can't even think of eating a piece of meat or anything with cheese or sour cream without getting nauseous. This is frustrating! ANNNDDDD After reading over what I wrote I just realized how this looked but no i'm not pregnant or even close to anything like that.....Awkward.

Anybody else ever had this problem?

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Yep, I have had this problem since 2004 when I first got the SLE diagnosis. It is incredibly frustrating. I find myself walking down the aisle at the grocery store wondering what in the heck I'm going to buy, because nothing looks appetizing. I don't really get nauseous though. It's just that everything tastes like cardboard. Once in awhile, I'll find something that really does taste good, and I pretty much eat that until it gets old and no longer appeals to me. I have to make myself eat. My mom, who also has SLE, is the same way too.

Rob

PS-And no, I'm not pregnant either...
    Last edited by rob; 09-10-2012 at 03:11 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

And my momma always complained I was a finicky eater! ITS THE LUPUS!!!!!! Seriously, I too have that problem. Nice to know momma was wrong! (sorry Mom, RIP)
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

Food, meat and cheese in particular smell weird to me when I'm having flares -I know it must be a wonderful meaty smell when I see it cooking, but it smells like rotten garbage to me. I seem to always want to eat a lot of sweets for comfort, though.
    ~ Morrison
    SLE and Sjogrens
    It's hard to take over the world when you sleep 20 hours a day (Get Fuzzy)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

i'll put my hand up also.

blame the lupus.

i find salads are palatable when this happens to me.

Thanks

I blame the lupus too, but pay attention to your liver. My last two reactions were both preceded for a time with nausea, and discomfort under the right rib cage, especially after eating. My liver was having trouble keeping up with me ('course, I wasn't kind to it when I was younger, and it reminds me of that every once in a while).
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Thanks

Sometimes I wish that something would affect my appetite so that I could lose some weight!
    I find that if I don't eat on a regular schedule, I get shaky and cranky.
    I love to cook, so I'm always cooking, shopping for food, or planning to cook.
    I didn't even have too many problems with foods when I was preggers. Quite the opposite, I was always eating!
    Hugs,
    Marla

8. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

tgal (09-16-2012)