Thread: Women - flares during your period?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Question Women - flares during your period?

I don't mean to get too personal, but I ask because I am noticing that I have sort of a "mini-flare" in the week of my period. I am 44 and probably mildly peri-menopausal - I know my hormones are changing. IT SUCKS!!! :-P

Anyway, it seems like I have a horrible flare of symptoms the week before/of my period...is that normal? Of course I will talk to my doc about it, I just wanted to get you folks' take on it too - or maybe get some ideas what I can do about it. Taking hormones of any sort is not an option for me because I also have APS (hormone treatment greatly increases the risk of stroke with APS), and soy upsets my stomach, so I can't go "the natural route" either.

Just wondering if anybody else has been through this and had success dealing with it. It pretty much knocked me out last month...horrible achy hand and legs, wicked brain fog, sleeplessness, night sweats, the works. Feels like my meds do NOTHING for me in the week just before and first couple of days of it. After a day or two of "flow" I seem okay again until the next month. (I know this is kinda personal - sorry if the discussion makes anybody uncomfortable!).

As always, thanks for your wisdom and I hope you're feeling good today!!!!

Thanks

I am also likely to have many more body aches and brain fog before my period. I am 43 and have been going through menopause for a few years, and I get that way most months even though I rarely still have periods. I have been taking OTC plant estrogen supplements for about 5 months, and they help with the sleeplessness, night sweats, and hot flashes. My supplement has soy, though, which wouldn't work for you, but I've heard of some with wild yam instead of soy.
    ~ Morrison
    SLE and Sjogrens
    It's hard to take over the world when you sleep 20 hours a day (Get Fuzzy)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MorrisonGal For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (08-30-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have dealt with the exact same thing every month in misery and asked gyno, go, and rheumy about it without an answer. I eventually had to take matters into my own hands and ended up using a Nuvaring for 4 months straight and only having 3 periods a year. Its completely safe and being only 31 and not ready to give up on the idea of having another baby my options are limited. The only answer I could get is something to do with the large fluctuations in your hormone levels during that time.

Best of luck

Hugs,
    LenaT14

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LenaT14 For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (08-30-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am also like you, and horrible flare on top of a horrible flare the week before my period and cranky as all get out. Don't forget its like someone hit me with a bottle of sleeping pills that week. I truly can not function and I cry a lot and hurt like no other.

Gretchyn

Thanks for that question was a good one!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to blackeight For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (08-31-2012)