Thread: Back Pain?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Back Pain?

Does anyone else have severe back pain during a flare? I know that I have back issues but all the doctors except for my pcp say its not bad enough to cause the pain I am having. Is it possible that Lupus is attacking the bad spot in my back or is it just normal for it to give me bad pain during a flare? If it were something other than the lupus it would be a constant and same pain all the time right? Mine tends to change and I have noticed that when I am not having a flare its really not that bad and I can walk just fine. Anyone else having this issue? There isn't one doc that can agree on what is causing my back pain.

Thank you so much

Gretchyn

Sorry if I didn't post this in the right place.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I get horrible back spams and I always pull my back out. I'm only 21 bug it happens more when i'm in a flare. I find that my lupus favors certain spots more that the rest of my body but like you it always changes. Lupus is an unpredictable disease so it can be a bit tricky. I can usually tell if it's my lupus, you know your body best. It's very normal for something like your back pain to happen during a flare, but then again i'm not a doctor this is just from my personal experience.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mica For This Useful Post:

blackeight (08-27-2012)

Thanks

Back pain?... let me tell ya 'bout back pain... lol - but seriously Gretchyn, if you have any issues with your back to begin with, when you throw a little bit of a lupus flare in there, and it's associated inflamation, it's a recipe for a worsening of the back symptoms. You can get into a vicious cycle of inflammation, back pain, muscle tightening, more inflammation, more pain, more tightening, etc. I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis about 20 yrs ago (back arthritis), just after my RA diagnosis. Apparently, I didn't think that was bad enough, and then compounded my situation by falling off of a ladder a few years later. Anytime there's even a hint of a flare, my lumbar will "itch" really deep in the bones, then start hurting pretty good. As things progress, I'll throw in some muscle spasms and weird leg twitchings too (it's my version of dancing, since I'm awful at dancing anyway... tic). Lupus is autoimmune, so it's not beyond the realm of things for you to have other connective tissue issues anyway. An MRI is about the only way to be certain when it comes to your back, so if you have a particular spot that gets hit consistently when you flare, then that might be the next step. As far as I'm concerned, when a doc tells you that "it's not bad enough to cause the pain" you're having, they're speaking out their backside (stinks, too), and should be told so, maybe even fired, and a compentant, compassionate replacement found... just my opinion.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

blackeight (08-27-2012), steve.b (08-26-2012), tgal (08-26-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thank you guys so much, I have had 3 mri's epiderals and si injections and none of them work very long. I fell down 6 concrete steps about 2 years ago. Let me tell you since then this has been the ride of my life. I do think that its my flare that makes my back worse. If it were actually my back it would hurt in the same place all the time, right? Not come and go like my flare does. I live out in the middle of nowhere and trying to find a good doctor is like trying to find a needle in a haystack out here. And no one agrees on anything. It sucks but going back to the doc this week, and hopefully some pain med that I don't have to take a crap load of to walk and my hands still feel funny.

Do anyone ever get to the point where they get tired of trying to tell a new doc all the things wrong with them? And just finally walk into the doctor and say I don't know what hurts theres too much to tell you, I just know I don't feel right and am in pain. Now figure it out! I get so tired of trying to explain everything to the docs. they cut you off don't listen and tell you there's no way you are in that much pain. Sometimes I truly just want to give up.

I am 36 years old and walk slower and more bent over and crooked than a 90 year old woman with a new hip. LOL!

Thanks

Back symptoms can come & go, like lupus, as they please, and can follow the "whims of the wind" (weather patterns). Now, some of your hands' nerves pass through your jaw, so TMJ issues can be a cause, as can the cervical spine and/or carpal tunnel impingement, among other things. If you have pain/numbness that is consistently in the same location, you might have those issues. That's not to say that you won't have little "side issues" with other places when you feel a particular pain/numbness, just that a particular location is almost always involved. You can have "sympathetic" pain. Like when the dentist is drilling on one tooth that's been numbed, but you might feel it elsewhere in the mouth, but the tooth being worked on is the "culprit", if you will.

If you've had epidural and/or SI injections for your back pain, then they've seen something in the MRI pix for them to "aim" at. It might just be that they haven't hit the right spot yet. I've not had an SII *not* help me yet, for at least for 6 months, and most for a year or more. The "interview" they do before hand is just as important, if not more so, than the pictures they took. My doc based the lapro-lam he did on my back more on my description of symptoms than on the actual pictures (they do most of my injections the same way). The pictures showed that I should be hurting in my left leg worse than my right, but such was not the case. So based upon my description of symptoms, he cleaned out the right side of the L4-5 area, and lo and behold, my leg wasn't dragging on the floor anymore. So be sure you're describing symptoms correctly to the doc(s). That means noting the difference between "pain", "burning", "tingling" and "numb" as descriptors of your symptoms. That's in addition to the "pain level" chart they give you.

Has your doc told you what the 'base' issue is with your spine, that they gave you the SI injections for? Do they give you a paper with a drawing of a human body, front and back, and ask you to mark it up with X's, stars & dots, to signify where you're hurting, and how (the burning, tingling, numbness, etc.), prior to the shots? You want/need them to discuss that with you, so that you can help "guide" them to the correct location and/or diagnosis.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sorry, its been awhile since I got on here, lots of pain and doc trips. I have a slightly bulging disc, a lot of arthritis, and degerative disc disease. The only person that says I should be in pain from this is my Pcp, the neuro, and the radiologist say this shouldn't be causing me this much pain. The physical therapist couldn't figure out why nothing he did worked and the epideral and si injection on worked for maybe a month. So now a stand up mri. Yay! Thats going to hurt. I honestly think its all my diseases that are causing the problems to hurt worse than what they should be. i don't always have the same pain or its not always the amount of pain. Weird i know. My hands just feel funny and sometimes my finger tips get numbe and the hand fills stiff. I honestly don't know about my body anymore. Someone has hijacked my body and left me thiers so I am still trying to figure this one out. LOL

Gretchyn

Thanks

I've never done a stand up MRI, and about all I can suggest is to keep working with your doctors as best as you can. Try to get as accurate & descriptive with your symptoms as you can with them.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I noticed that ever since I've been diagnosed with lupus, my body has been hurting all over. And now its even worse with my kidney-failure. I think that lupus can definitelybaffect a person's back.
    Living with Lupus Nephritis is not difficult but just a challenge.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to The Survivor For This Useful Post:

blackeight (09-04-2012)