Thread: How long can a flare last?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default How long can a flare last?

I'm sure this? Has been asked a million times! But I feel like I've been in different forms of a flare up for over a yr(mild to severe). Also, when your not in a flare up, you can still have permanent symptoms right? They just get worse when in a flare? My life is by far stress free, I watch kids for a living, money's tight, I've been denied ssi twice and now battling a 3rd round, I've been through a lot w my kids (both have had surgery this yr) amongst other things.....if I'm constantly stressed, will I constantly feel like I'm in a flare? Thanks in advance for any input! As always, it's greatly appreciated!
    *Darla*-forever awaiting answers-

Romans 5:5 "Hope does not disappoint"

"If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have none at all-and I'm Irish!"

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Deemarie,

Flares are a strange thing. For me, sometimes a flare can begin suddenly, and a few hours later, end just as quickly as it came on. For the most part though, my flares are pretty regular and somewhat predictable. They last two or three days, and then subside for a couple of days before coming back once again. I've never been in remission.

As far as constant or permanent symptoms go, when I'm not in a flare, I'm still not 100%. For me there is always fatigue and joint pain, even on my best days. I consider it "background noise" and I basically shut it out and ignore it on my good days. On the bad days though, it can't be ignored.

With time, many people learn to recognize the beginning of a flare. For me it begins with mouth sores, and fatigue with the sensation of being held down with a blanket made of lead. I also get bad brainfog. What was easy to write or understand yesterday suddenly becomes hard to understand.

Flares are different for everyone, and no two people will have the exact same experience. If you are thinking that Lupus is an incredibly confusing thing, you would be correct. Then there's stress. Stress can indeed induce a flare for many people. Reducing stress is something we need to do for ourselves, but it's far easier said than done, and not something I'm particularly good at myself.

Rob

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Deemarie1223 (08-25-2012)

Thanks

Hi Deemarie,

My flares are simular to Rob's, they usually last about three to five days, but sometimes they last for weeks.
    Like Rob, I am never in remission, I also have joint and muscle pain every day and extreme fatigue can strike out of the blue.
    My flares always start with bad diarrhea, bad joint and muscle pain, fatigue and brain fog, on day two I do get the mouth and nose sores.
    It does take a little while, before you are able to recognize a flare.
    Whenever my flare lasts longer than a week, my rheumy gives me a steriod shot in my buttocks and I start feeling better the next day.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

Deemarie1223 (08-25-2012)

Thanks

I did have remission until November of last year. So it's possible and I hope it will happen again for me. Until then, I just try to do my best.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jltoland For This Useful Post:

Deemarie1223 (08-26-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Like Rob said flares are weird. It can be anywhere from a few days, to weeks, or years. I'm still in a flare and it's been 2 years. The more permanent symtoms are the joint pain, nausea, and other little things like that. Also like Rob said reducing stress will help but I understand that it's hard to do. Times are tough now and it's getting harder for people, especially chronically ill people, to survive without constant stress. With the SI just get a lawyer, i'm still waiting for my trial hearing but since I got the lawyer it was so much easier, they do most the work and you only pay after you get your disability and if you don't get anything they dont charge. Look into that it probably help some with your stress.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mica For This Useful Post:

Thanks

i am similiar to rob i donot think i have ever been in remission just some days worse than others . it is different for everyone. i do know that tiredness and stress will make you flare worse. this is so in my case. hugs kim

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kim,l For This Useful Post: