Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just tired of taking meds!

Thanks

Angry just tired of taking meds!

Hello all, Im just so tired of taking so many damn meds, just this morning I've taking 12 and need three more vitamins plus the nightly meds I take. Just looking at them makes me gag. I loose my appetite and still fat because all the damn prednisone that have been pumped into me! When will it ever end? Have a great and safe holiday weekend!
    Diagnosed in 2010 with SLE, recurring pericarditis, pericardial and pleural effusions. Fibromyalgia, Avascular Necrosis on both knees, IBS, Gastroparesis, migraines, DVT's, Pulmoray Emboli. Arthritis, pinched nerves and bulging disk all on the neck. Hyperthyroid issues. Neuropthy, anemia and insomnia "taking it one day at a time, what more can I do"

Thanks

Linda, I just wanted to tell you I sympathize! There is something a little soul-crushing about when your pile of pills looks bigger than your bowl of cereal or when you have to set alarms on your phone to remind you to take pills throughout the day. And then, to add insult to injury, the pile of pills comes with its own side effects-- nausea, weight gain, loss of appetite, headaches, you name it.

I don't have any sage advice regarding how to magically start taking fewer pills, but one thing I have done for myself to take the edge off the pills is I got myself a cute little pill organizer. I travel a lot for work, and even when I'm not travelling, I have to shuttle different pills to and from home. Lugging around a gallon-sized ziploc baggie full of pill bottles was sort of depressing. But now with my peppy little organizer, my meds take up less room in my bag or suitcase, they're less obvious, and I at least have a pretty design to look at as I dole out my next dose for myself.

But hugs! It sucks; I'm sorry!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Derrie For This Useful Post:

blackeight (08-20-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I think we have all been where you are. I take 12 different types of meds and most of them I take 2 or 3 of. I dreaded it so bad that I finally learned how to take them all in one swallow! Never thought I could do it but each and every additional one I dreaded more. I then ran out of some meds and couldn't afford to get them refilled. I got really sick and ended up in the hospital so I don't dread them quite as much now.

Pill organizers are great things! A word of advice though. Even if you have an organizer make sure you have the bottles when away from home. If you are ever stopped by an officer you must be able to show proof that those are your meds and the only way to do that is with the bottles
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

blackeight (08-20-2012), n.mac (05-28-2012), ritzbit2 (05-25-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    I dreaded it so bad that I finally learned how to take them all in one swallow! Never thought I could do it but each and every additional one I dreaded more.
    I do this too. I found that swallowing one after the other was part of what made me so weird about taking all of mine. I used to gag really bad but I have found that if I take them with something like lemonade or tea I can take them all easier than with just water because the water doesn't cover up the nasty taste they all leave. And when I'm done taking them I eat something I like such as my fav yogurt or a popsicle. Until I started doing this I would skip taking my pills because the thought was overwhelming. I wish I could get myself to use my pill organizer, but it makes me not want to take them even more when I see them all together for the whole week. So many pills. Love them and hate them, can't live without them.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, Interstitial Lung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Fibromyalgia, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 60mg Nifedipine, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, Trazadone, 8mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

My old profile on here http://forum.wehavelupus.com/member.php?22042-ritzbit

Thanks

I use a pill organizer and take them all at once also, still doesn't help LOL.
    Diagnosed in 2010 with SLE, recurring pericarditis, pericardial and pleural effusions. Fibromyalgia, Avascular Necrosis on both knees, IBS, Gastroparesis, migraines, DVT's, Pulmoray Emboli. Arthritis, pinched nerves and bulging disk all on the neck. Hyperthyroid issues. Neuropthy, anemia and insomnia "taking it one day at a time, what more can I do"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

i dont think any of us enjoy taking meds.

but i consider the alternative.....
    (it becomes easier then).

better a good handful of meds than not living!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

blackeight (08-20-2012), chikititalinda (05-26-2012), Corella (05-29-2012), tgal (05-28-2012)

Thanks

Boy,do I know what you mean! I practically have a pharmacy in my dresser.
    I take:
    Plaquinel 2x
    Pletal
    procardia
    pepcid
    plavix
    lyrica
    zoloft
    ambien
    vistaril
    ultram
    vicodin
    folic acid
    aspirin
    methotrexate
    I sure would like to cut them down. I'd like to know what other people do.

What do you take???
    Pat

Thanks

I'm lucky - I don't take too many prescriptions, but I take a handful of supplements:
    MORNING - with cereal and a glass of aloe vera juice, tart cherry juice and cranberry juice, mixed and the all-important cup of coffee!
    Plaquenil - 200 mg.
    Pilocarpine (more if needed later for dryness)
    Prilosec
    Folic Acid
    Cranberry pill
    multi-vitamin
    Vitamin D-3
    Esther C
    Curcumin pill
    Resveratrol pill
    CoQ10 pill
    Aspirin
    Glucosamine/Condroitin
    Liquid fish oil
    Delsym cough syrup (helps the vocal cord spasms/Spasmodic Dysphonia)

BEDTIME
    Melatonin
    Magnesium

I also put a drop of Restasis into my eyes morning and evening and use Systane eye drops as needed.

I have swallowing problems, so I have to do it one pill at a time. The juice helps with that.
    I'm allergic to any opioid, so most pain pills are impossible for me. I'll sometimes take an Aleve if the pain is unbearable.
    I also can never take steroids, because I have Avascular Necrosis. I'm out of luck when it comes to pain.

This is a real pain for the girl who never took any kind of drugs, even when I had my babies. I had them at home, with no drugs ever.
    I don't like it, but at least it keeps me going!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve.b View Post
    i dont think any of us enjoy taking meds.

but i consider the alternative.....
    (it becomes easier then).

better a good handful of meds than not living!
    You know what Steve, you are absolutely right.
    Don't get me wrong, I too hated to take all these meds, but now I can't take ANY pills, until we find out what my liver biopsy tells us.
    I have been off my meds for several months now. Not only am I in severe pain, I am also very worried, that the Lupus, RA and Sjogrens get worse.
    So if it turns out, that my liver is not as bad as my rheumy thinks, I can take my meds again, if not, we have to figure out what to do next.
    As for me, a meds hater, I can't wait to start all my meds again.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

steve.b (05-28-2012), tgal (05-28-2012)

Thanks

I hate 'em too....right now on Methotrexate, prescription folic acid, Plaquenil, Prednisone (though I started tapering off that one this weekend, thank goodness...it'll take a couple months to get totally off...), aspirin, and about 15 different supplements (mostly recommended by my docs, plus a multivitamin and fish oil and probiotic and so on and so forth....). It's a handfull...and I can't take them all together because they interact. So LOTS of pill-popping.

It bothered me a lot at first...but the disease bothers me even more. So I just grit my teeth and suck them down every day. A couple moments of discomfort is better than suffering all day every day! I'm just glad I don't have to go through what my friend who is severely diabetic has to go through.