Thread: Started new med tonite:/ a Lil scared

Thanks

Default Started new med tonite:/ a Lil scared

I hate adding meds! I'm super paranoid of reactions and interactions. I just started neurontin, just took my first 300mg right now, I'm also on klonopin, 800mg ibu, wellbutrin and a small dose narcotic that I only take once a day...so I'm nervous I'm gonna get too loopy:/ at least I can just go to bed, hope I don't have that hangover feeling people talk about! I'm pretty sure after sept 19th I'll be starting daily aspirin and most likely plaquinel too....guess I gotta get used to it....but I'm still nervous:/ the doc knows my meds, so I suppose she wouldn't prescribe if it wasn't safe right?
    *Darla*-forever awaiting answers-

Romans 5:5 "Hope does not disappoint"

"If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have none at all-and I'm Irish!"

Thanks

I took the generic version of Neurontin (gabapentin) for a while, and I had a mild stoned feeling for a few days, but then my body got used to the drug. And 300mg is a pretty low dose to start off with-- some people take 1800mg+ of the drug. Generally, it's considered a pretty safe drug.

One thing to keep in mind with Neurontin, though, is that your body gets used to being on it. For it to be effective, you need to take your doses daily. Also, you should not stop Neurontin without talking to your doctor about the appropriate taper to get off of it, because stopping it abruptly can have dangerous side-effects.

Overall, though, it's a pretty common drug that can be very, very helpful for nerve pain. I hope it works well for you!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Derrie For This Useful Post:

Deemarie1223 (08-24-2012)

Thanks

Ty derrie! Yes, they plan on getting me to 900mgs by the end of the wk and eventually on 1800 mgs doc said. I will take it faithfully from here on out I appreciate your input and I'm Soooo looking fwd to being able to walk better again! Without on fire feet and use my hands better!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Make sure to always use the same pharmacy as well. As long as you do that they too will keep an eye open for meds that can't go together
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Deemarie1223 (08-25-2012)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I've been on Neurontin for extended periods many times over the past few years, and it really worked well in reducing or blocking nerve pain. Like Derrie, I too had a bit of a stoned feeling for the first few days of taking it, but I got used to it quickly.

I try to look at the whole medication thing from the viewpoint of being thankful that there are meds I can take that will definitely help me, and without them, I would be in real trouble (and in real pain).

I try to not worry about it, because worry=stress, and stress feeds Lupus.

Rob

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Deemarie1223 (08-25-2012), Derrie (08-25-2012)

Thanks

Thanks everyone! I didn't stay awake long enough to feel stoned, I was laying down and literally fell asleep 20 mins after I took it lol....but now I'm not scared! They want me to double it the second night, does that sound normal or should I try a few more nights on one and the double? My neuropathy has been calming down in the last week, so other then being scared, I was also in that mindset of "it's not bothering me do why take it" but yes I know, just cuz it's calmed down know doesn't mean tomorrow it'll be back full force I appreciate all the encouraging words! And yes, I do use the same pharmacy for me and my kids! Thanks again

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have been taking Neurontin for the past year have really liked it. It really helped with the kind of pain I was having, mostly the inflamed leg veins and muscle spasms. Of course all medication works differently for everyone so at least give it a try first but I am having a positive experience with it so it does give you some insight of what it does. Also I don't feel any type of hangover type feeling from it, in fact it gives me a bit of energy because that pain is gone.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

If you are worried about drug interaction, take alist along with the dosages and frequencies to your pharmacist. They will help you set up a schedule that's best for you. Mine did.

Matthew 11:28-30

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Dee-

I too wish you well with the medication I just started it myself at the beginning of the month with a whole lot of doubt.It has helped the leg pain tremendously though so I am pleased and hope you get the same relief.I was supposed to take it at bedtime also but it started to keep me awake after about 4-5 days which the rheumy said was unusual but that is the only thing I have changed.

Hope it continues to work well for you and you get great results .Take care!
    SLE w/Sjogrens Overlap and Raynaud's diagnosed in 2007.Fibro in 2009.

The Early Bird May Get The Worm But the Second Mouse Gets The Cheese.