Thread: Doctor taking me off Plaquenil

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Doctor taking me off Plaquenil

Hi! I have just been told by my doctor to go off of my Plaquenil that I have taken for 2 and 1/2 years. Reason? Seems I have some macular degeneration going on which I have had since 1997 at least. True, since I began Plaquenil (three months later), I saw a slight increase in symptoms (grey areas just above central vision....noticable when I first wake up and when looking at writing if I concentrate on it) My ANA is 7 1/2 which is almost at protocal remission level. I also have a kidney transplant so I am on Imuran and Neoral (Cyclosporin) for that though at very low levels. He seems to feel I will be ok with the Imuran. Anyone have any situation close to that? It's kind of scary to drop meds for Lupus having had meds for 47 years of some sort. Anyone just take Imuran for their Lupus? Feeling free yet like I'm jumping off a cliff...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,103 Posts

sorry linda,
    i cannot offer any advise....
    only a supportive shoulder.

did they not offer an alternative to plaquenil?

Thanks

Doctor says I'm doing well (though not in complete remission). So it seems he's hoping that the drugs I'm taking for the suppression of my immune system for the kidney transplant will also work to suppress any Lupus?? I know a few people on this site mentioned Imuran. That's what I am already taking. If I do get a flare, he talked about Celcept and Benlysta. I'm going to try hard not to overwork when I begin back teaching this week. Perhaps keeping stress off will keep the Lupus at bay!! Thank-you for your reply by the way!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LindaJ View Post
    ..... I'm going to try hard not to overwork when I begin back teaching this week. Perhaps keeping stress off will keep the Lupus at bay!! ....
    you are a teacher, and you want to reduce stress.
    how can the two go together?
    children cause stress lol

Thanks

Ha! You are so right. However, I am a resource teacher so I don't have a classroom full of students in front of me all day. The stress comes from all the paperwork that comes with Special Education. The key is to spread out required reports for each student. I will be going in requesting we work together on scheduling what is called IEP meetings (Individual Educational Plan). If the coordinator agrees with me.....I think 90% of stress will be eliminated. I love the teaching and relating to students part......I teach 6th,7th, and 8th. I love the age!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

you should talk to linda from australia.
    she teachers grade 6 and loves there age also.

she also loves there humour.

have you heard about the hemeroid movie?
    it hasn't come out yet !