Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions... florescent lights, being emotional, and sense of smell

Thanks

Default A few questions... florescent lights, being emotional, and sense of smell

I keep forgetting about the darn florescent lights. Today I went out to Jo-ann's and then the grocery store. I spent a couple hours out all together and hubby stayed home with the kids. I was so excited to have some time alone and just take my time, etc, etc. Of course, by the time I got home I was miserable!!! My malar rash was bright angry red and stung like crazy. My muscles in my legs were so sore I could hardly walk up the stairs to my room. I collapsed in bed and my joints just throbbed and my kidneys were hurting, I couldn't even fall asleep I just hurt so bad everywhere. I don't think I even get that bad out in the sun! But, I guess I don't spend 2 hours in the sun without sunblock on anymore. I'm still miserable, but the motrin and tramadol have helped a bit.

So how do you cope with the big stores? I mean, grocery shopping is a necessity, so I can't exactly not do it. I've been doing a lot of my shopping online for things I can, but sometimes you need to go out.

I've also been extremely emotional lately. I've been crying over everything and just down a lot. Does this happen with a flare? I am taking zoloft already since I had bad PPD after having my youngest, but I don't feel depressed. Just overly emotional.

And, my last question. I keep thinking I smell this really horrible smell and no one else seems to smell it. Like the smell of something decaying? Or, when I do smell something bad, like changing a poopy diaper, it smells 100 times worse then usual, and no one else thinks it smells that bad. Could this be related to lupus at all??

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wendya432 For This Useful Post:

A. G. Moore (08-16-2012), blackeight (08-14-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

The very first thing I am going to tell you has to do with he smells that no one else can smell. You need to make an appointment with a neurologist and have that looked into. I don't want to scare you but it is something that could be very serious (or not) and it can't be put off. If you want to talk more about this feel free to PM me and we can discuss it.! I had the same thing happen to me and I put it off for way too long

Aa for the fluorescent lighting, the answer is ssimple when you get in the habit of doing it. You treat going to the stores or work just like you would going in the sun. Strong sunscreen on (even under where clothes would be unless you are wearing UV Protectant clothing) and a hat. Remember that you are dealing with the same UV type rays that are put out by the sun and it should be treated as such.

Talk to your doctor about changing your anti depression meds as well. For some of us the Lupis actual messes with he chemical make-up in the brain and it takes several attempts at finding the right medicine/dose to stop the years and overly emotional moments

Hope this helped a bit
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Wendy,
    I know what you mean about the feeling you get after being in the sun. I sat out in the sun on Friday for a memorial service, and then felt miserable that evening and I haven't had much energy all weekend.
    Could the bad smell be something as simple as a sinus infection? Have you checked that angle?
    Hugs,
    Marla

5. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

tgal (08-13-2012)

Thanks

Marla made a good point that I think we discussed privately. Although I would see a Neuro first an Ear, Nose and Throat doc would be next on the list. I tend to go toward the neuro just because of what happened to me. My smells were somewhat different than yours and always the same smell so a sinus infection could be very possible
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I also sometimes smell something burning and there never is anything actually burning. I have an appt with the endo on Friday so I will bring it up there and see what he thinks. My mom has epilepsy so I guess it's always worth checking out.

Maybe there is an infection in there somewhere? I've had some weird noises in my left ear, like when you put a seashell up to your ear. So maybe there is something going on there.

I feel like now everything that happens to me I think, omg, it must be AI related! lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wendya432 For This Useful Post:

blackeight (08-14-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have the same smell and emotional feeling. Is it really that bad?

Thanks

*sigh* I guess I need to get looked at about this. Today I had to lay down as I was just exhausted all the sudden, and I had some jerks/twitches in my lower back. (I had it one time over the weekend as well, but just thought I was tired.) I felt scared and like I was shivering but I wasn't. I called the Dr to make an appointment and while I was on hold I forgot who I was calling and why so I hung up. Couldn't remember the cat's name for a minute. Then just felt awful afterwards and started sobbing and had to sit down most of the rest of the day. (Can't wait to go to bed tonight, I'm beat) So, something isn't right.

I decided I'll stop taking the tramadol I'm on since I read that it can have a bad reaction with zoloft that I'm also on. I'll call the Dr. in the morning and make an appointment.

Thanks

Never stop taking any medicine completely without Dr. Permission. Many of the meds have to be tapered off of or the side effects can be disastrous. Call and talk to the Doc and see if stopping them cold Turky is OK
    Mari

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,103 Posts

i like many here, am not a doctor.
    i like many here, read closely to peoples posts.
    i like many here, watch my own medical condition closely.

i have come to the conclusion that lupus has removed my ability to properly contol emotions.
    either good or bad.
    i go from no emotion at all - to - full throttle emotions.

i can stay on no emotion for a long time.
    i am really cold to emotion, no response.....
    then all of a sudden, without warning...
    full emotion. no holding back.

when it is a good emotion it seems acceptable.
    but others find it hard when it is a bad emotion.
    i find it awkward at both extreemes.

btw. i am on anti depressants.
    i believe it is not because i am depressed...
    but because part of my brain needs this type of medication.
    Last edited by steve.b; 08-15-2012 at 05:04 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm like Steve, I have always been like this probably not as bad just semi-detached from emotions. Like him I am on anti-depressants, not because i'm depressed, but because the steroids made me so crazy. Over all it made me balance out and control my extreme emotional episodes. No matter where I go I out on sunscreen nuetrogena makes a good affordable sunscreen thats light and not greasy. If I know theres a chance I might have to be sitting out side I have to think ahead of time, like my grandmothers funeral, and request a tent. Im actually glad I read this because I didn't know large grocery stores used florescent lights, I learn something everyday. Talk to your doctor about your emotions because the zoloft might not be working for what you need it do, again not a doctor but from personal experience my anti-depressants are not as effective anymore.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mica For This Useful Post:

steve.b (08-16-2012)