Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thyroid Problems

Thanks

Hashimoto's will "come & go" with symptoms, and a person with other autoimmune issues has a much higher chance of having Hashimoto's. Checking again in 3 months is a good idea. Be sure they do at least the T3 & T4 along with the TSH again...
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Thanks

Figured I would just post here instead of making a whole new post. I haven't exactly been feeling the best lately. I almost passed out swimming today. My heart rate went up through the roof and I got all dizzy. Its very frustrating.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, Interstitial Lung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Fibromyalgia, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 60mg Nifedipine, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, Trazadone, 8mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

My old profile on here http://forum.wehavelupus.com/member.php?22042-ritzbit

Thanks

Ritz,

I have Hashimoto's disease, and unlike Derry, mine is awful. I have bad joint pain, extreme exhaustion, tinnitus, peripheral neuropathy, eye inflammation, etc. and at it's worst, seizures. No one can say for sure the seizures are cause by Hashi's, but I couldn't work until it was diagnosed; I was having multiple seizures a week (I'm a teacher, so that was a problem). I have only had two seizures since I started taking Synthroid in February. The proof is in the pudding, as they say.

My advice: find a doctor who treats Hashi's based on symptoms and not on bloodwork. With Hashi's, your TSH, T3 and T4 will fluctuate. At first, I went to an endo who didn't believe in treating the disease/symptoms until my TSH was off. There are two schools on the topic. I had to find one who would treat it regardless. The latest research supports early diagnosis and treatment. You need to also make sure you find a doc who knows the latest research on healthy levels. There are two schools of thought there. I believe the new thinking bottom range is .1 or .3 (can't remember right now). The bottom line -- normal is when you feel well, not when a number shows it. I know when I'm low because I freeze to death, can't stay awake no matter how much sleep, and I have neurological problems. When I'm high, I get jittery and have heart palpatations. I have a variety of dosages on hand, and my doctor adjusts accordingly. We check blood levels about every three months unless I have a seizure.

You just have to call around, ask questions, and doctor shop. I made three calls, and I just asked the nurse point blank, "Does your doctor treat Hashimoto's despite TSH levels?" I found mine on the third call. I got lucky. Her husband suffers with Hashi's, so she stays current on the research. She's looking into low-dose naltrexone therapy now. She wants to do a lot more research, but she claims there is a lot of buzz about it for Hashi's. I'm hopeful.

My rheumy won't treat my Hashimoto's even though it's an autoimmune disease. She will only provide a prescription for Lodine for joint pain and Neurontin for the peripheral neuropathy. Doctor's just aren't treating the disease like an autoimmune disease, YET! For some reason, they don't think of it as a life-altering disease. My rheumatologist told me that while it caused the same symptoms, the commonly prescribed autoimmune drugs like Plaq, etc. were just not worth the side effects and long term risks when weighed against the effects of the disease. Translated: "You're fine. Quite being such a wuss." And he had the nerve to tell me that Hashi's doesn't affect any of the major organs -- it's just a problem for joints. OMG! I know they all have their own specialties, but really. Long story short, I'm still not sure about a full diagnosis (if that's possible with autoimmune), but I do know I have Hashi's, and it has changed my life. My new normal is a constant state of medium level of discomfort and functionally exhausted. I won't discuss the other end of the spectrum for fear of the jinx.

Good luck, and keep me posted. I'm in and out these days -- a new school and new as an assistant principal -- too busy!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jolynnhughes For This Useful Post:

jmail (09-07-2012), steve.b (09-07-2012)