Thread: Surgery Advice Please

Thanks

Default Surgery Advice Please

I am having surgery next week for my meniere's disease and I want to know should I expect my lupus to act up in any form or fashion? The only thing I am dealing with right with the lupus is my joint pain. I should be feeling pretty good with that after surgery because of the pain killers. lol :P Also I am taking Plaquenil so am I only allowed to take only certain pain killers? I do not want any drug interactions.

Thanks

Codie

Thanks

Every lupie reacts differently to surgeries. But painkiller should not be a problem with the Plaquenil, because alot of us get some kind of painkiller throughout our illness.
    What are they going to do about the Meniere's, I mean the surgery?

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Any time you are going to have ANY kind of procedure done, medical/dental etc, make sure to inform the doctors/nurses of the Lupus. As Debbie said, we all react differently but there are precautions that they sometimes need to take. I know my dentist handles things differently due to my Lupus
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (07-31-2012)

Thanks

For the menieres surgery I am having a shunt put in to help drain the fluid in my inner ear. I had the procedure last year for my left ear. This year I am having it done on my right. I hope it works. I have also read that lupus can cause issues like menieres disease so it worries me to think that the lupus could be affecting my ears as well. I am seeing my rheumy tomorrow so I will be sure to ask her about the surgery as well.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Please keep us posted and let us know how the surgery goes and how you are doing!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saysusie View Post
    Please keep us posted and let us know how the surgery goes and how you are doing!
    "Ditto" from here.

When I've been operated on, they've let me had most of my meds, but they have to come from the hospital pharmy, not yours. They'll want to regulate and record your input of everything from the moment you walk thru the door. They might also want to regulate and record everything you output too!... tic - if plaq would cause an issue with something they give you for treatment at the hospital, they'll not give you the plaquenil. Just be sure and take a list of all your current meds & supplements with you when you go to get admitted.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Thanks

Hi Koilover,
    I was diagnosed with Meniere's long before I was diagnosed with the autoimmune issues. I was given a medicine to "dry out" the inner ear, but the rheumy took me off of it as soon as I tested positive for Sjogren's, which has symptoms of lots of dryness. She also called my inner ear problems autoimmune inner ear disorder. It's frustrating to me - I have too much liquid in my inner ears, but not enough in my eyes, nose and mouth!
    I hope that the shunt works well for you - let me know about it - I'm curious.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

So I had surgery last wednesday and besides the irritating fullness feeling of my ear. I feel great. I no longer feel like I am on a boat. I did have one vertigo spell since the surgery but it was kind of well my fault. Caffeine is one of my triggers for menieres and I wanted to test the waters a bit and well I still can't drink caffeine. I am kind of ok with that. I miss coffee yes I know there is de-caf but its not the same. The lupus didn't seem like it was effected at all. Plus on the up side, the pain pills they gave me for my ear helped with the joint pain I was having. I am reconsidering getting the RX from my rheumy like she suggested.

PS. I love my ear doctor. I highly recommend him for any ear issues. Dr. Slater Austin Ear Clinic

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Koilover512 For This Useful Post:

steve.b (08-18-2012)

Thanks

Glad it's going good for you Codie. I'm supposed to quit coffee also... What I'm doing is mixing the de-caf with the "regular", at higher & higher levels over the next few weeks (again). It worked last time, and hopefully will this time also. I'm at a 50/50 blend right now. My problem is I keep telling myself that there's less and less caffiene, and that I can therefore drink more, which isn't good either... lol - the mind, what a terrible thing to have rule your life... lol
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."