Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Eemotional Day Today

Thanks

Default Very Eemotional Day Today

Today my wife and family attended the deployment ceremony for our daughter Rebbeca.
    She is a MP in the Illinois National Gaurd and is headed to Afghanastan for a year.

We have been through this before as our son is a US Marine but this was much more difficult-all the soldiers seem so young and its hard not to think of her in her prom dress. She is only 20 and hated going camping(hates bugs especially spiders)and now shes going to live in the desert.
    She was told not to bring any civilian clothing and get used to sleeping in her clothes with her boots on.
    She was told they will rarely if ever leave the base-thier mission is base security including check points at entrances and they have trained hard and are ready for these challenges-but I know my wife and I will have many sleepless nights until she returns!

Thanks for listening Niall

Thanks

(((Niall and family))) I'll keep good thoughts for Rebecca as well as for you and your wife.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Manderson For This Useful Post:

n.mac (08-10-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

i am ex military.
    i have seen very close friends "go overseas".
    so i understand your emotions.

may it be an unexciting 12 months for her.

i will keep you in my thoughts.
    many people do not really understand the important role, that is being done over there.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

n.mac (08-10-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hugs and prayers to you and your family. My son deploys to Afghanistan in October for a year. Thankfully he'll be "stuck on base" handling paperwork. He leaves a month before his firstborn's first birthday.

Prayers to all our brave military men and women here and abroad. God Bless you all.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ruziska For This Useful Post:

n.mac (08-10-2012)

Thanks

We'll be thinking and praying for you and your family Niall, especially your son & daughter. Thank them for us for their service to our country.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

n.mac (08-12-2012), steve.b (08-11-2012)

Thanks

Thank you Niall for raising such brave and amazing children. It is because of them and your sacrifice as a parent that keeps us all so safe. Thank you so much! We will keep you and your family in out thoughts every moment of the day. When you need to vent and express your sadness, anger or joy just share it and we will all be here to listen.
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Danica01 For This Useful Post:

n.mac (08-12-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n.mac View Post
    Today my wife and family attended the deployment ceremony for our daughter Rebbeca.
    She is a MP in the Illinois National Gaurd and is headed to Afghanastan for a year.

We have been through this before as our son is a US Marine but this was much more difficult-all the soldiers seem so young and its hard not to think of her in her prom dress. She is only 20 and hated going camping(hates bugs especially spiders)and now shes going to live in the desert.
    She was told not to bring any civilian clothing and get used to sleeping in her clothes with her boots on.
    She was told they will rarely if ever leave the base-thier mission is base security including check points at entrances and they have trained hard and are ready for these challenges-but I know my wife and I will have many sleepless nights until she returns!

Thanks for listening Niall

Niall,

I am currently in the Army and have served 90% of my career with military police units. If it makes you feel any better, all of the time she spent training to get ready to go overseas will count towards that year. So that year started the day she was "mobilized" as the national guard and reserves calls it. Base security is an important job, and definitely a lot safer than doing checkpoints or patrols. Also, please keep in mind, when it comes to deployments, no news is good news. There may be times that you will not hear from her for various reasons. Communications blackouts, sand storms or what have you. A lot of the time, family members freak out when they don't hear from us when they think they should. Just wanted to share that....no need to stress, it's all part of the Job the only thing constant in the army is change!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miraid For This Useful Post:

n.mac (08-12-2012), Saysusie (08-24-2012)

Thanks

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers!
    My wife and I spent the weekend camping after a couple of hectic weeks leading up to her deployment we needed some peace and quiet ! Niall

Thanks

Hi Niall,
    I've been there, too. My son was deployed to Iraq when our Marines first went into there. We were lucky that he was the IT guy in charge of keeping his unit's computers up and running. Since my hubby is an AF officer, they were able to keep in touch. It really helped me to feel better that we got to hear from him.
    More recently, my son-in-law was deployed to Afghanistan. The communications were not too bad. He was able to Skype with my daughter and grandson fairly regularly. They are now stationed in Germany and he is training to be a flying crew chief. I'm guessing that this will mean that he will be flying in and out of Afghanistan quite a bit.
    I hope that Rebecca has a quiet deployment. We'll be thinking about her. I wonder if she and Tyler (son-in-law) will cross paths?
    Hugs,
    Marla

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

n.mac (08-13-2012), Saysusie (08-24-2012)

Thanks

I can imagine, how hard it was to let her go.
    We are all very thankful for your children, who are keeping us safe.
    My prayers will be with you and her safe return.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

18. The Following User Says Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

n.mac (08-13-2012)