Thread: Scary brain fog

Thanks

Default Scary brain fog

I had a scary experience driving today. I was in the car with my kids and was having the hardest time. I couldn't figure out when to turn, how much space to have between cars, etc, etc. The 3 yr old rolled down his window in the back and I couldn't figure out what the noise was and what was going on. I could hardly get myself home. And this was a 10 minute drive. I just about kissed the ground when we got home. I've never had anything like that happen before. It was scary especially since I had my kids in the car. I had to put everything I had just into driving. Thank god we got home ok and there was no accidents, and no issues I had to react quickly to. Needless to say, I am having my sister drive me to my urology appointment tomorrow. That is embarrassing enough in itself, to have to ask for a ride to the Dr when I'm only 30 because I don't know if I can make it myself.
    (Tomorrow I have my appointment to get an ultrasound on my 12 kidney stones and see how many are too big to pass on my own. I have my xrays sitting in front of the door, and also a hot pink sticky note on the door reminding me to bring the xrays. Hopefully I will actually bring them!!)

Thanks

Wendy,
    I know just what you mean, sweetie. I don't dare to drive on the highway anymore. I take the back roads everywhere, and I worry every time I get stopped at a stoplight. My problem is that my toes and feet are so numb that I can barely feel them, and my leg muscles spasm a lot. I'm always afraid that my leg will spasm and I will hit the car in front of me.
    My daughter had kidney stones while she was pregnant. That was a miserable time for her. After Ryan was born, she had to have them broken up by ultrasound so that they were small enough to pass. She was in a lot of pain and was a nursing Mom.
    I hope that you get yours resolved soon.
    Hugs,
    Marla

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

This happens to me as well,

One of the worst ones was when I got lost coming home from the grocery store. I grew up here and know the area like the back of my hand. I've driven the ten miles to and from the store hundreds of times, yet one day I was behind the wheel and suddenly my mind went blank, and I got lost. Basic reasoning and the ability to put two and two together was just gone. I managed to find a payphone (cellphones don't work here), and I called my Dad to ask for help in getting me home. He came to me at the payphone, and then I followed him back to my house.

It was embarassing, frustrating, and kind of scary. I now keep a card in my wallet with family phone numbers and a prepaid calling card so I don't have to tote around a bunch of quarters to use a payphone. I had to give up flying because of brainfog. Draw a blank in your car, and you can just pull over and stop. Draw a blank as a pilot, and you're in big trouble. I used to have somewhat of a photographic memory for things like maps and blueprints. Not any more. I frakking hate Lupus for taking these things away from me.

Rob

Thanks

Rob,
    I'm lucky - I've still got that "map in my mind" - that's what Jeff calls my photographic memory. However, the lapses in reasoning have been coming more often lately, and I hate it when I have to search for the right word to say!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

wendy,
    we all have issues with the fog.
    there is a great thread about brain fog that shows the lighter side.

http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthr...Brain-Fog-When

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My boss has the tendency to ask me questions as soon as he walks in the door in the morning (I'm always there before him). I know I know the answers but the brain fog often prevents me from giving him an immediate response. I've told him time and time again to give me a moment and why but he just doesn't get it. I've explained lupus brain fog to him and I would have had a better response talking to the stray cats that hang around the office. I haven't had problems getting lost while driving (I live in a state that just hit a million people) and my hometown isn't that big but unless I have a list, I'll forget why I'm going where I'm going. At work, I'm creating a continuity binder with a page or more for every single task I'm in charge of. I'm doing it for myself but if ever I'm out sick or take a vacation (vacation??? I must look up the definition of that word), the binder is on my desk for my temp should one be needed.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"