Thread: confused newbie from va.

Thanks

Default confused newbie from va.

Hello everyone,
    Heres a lil history on the last month with me.I'm still going through testing and still have to see a couple of doctors,so I have not been diagnosed with lupus...It all started with my hands and feet itching really bad.I could not stop.Eventually my right hand where my thumb and index finger became swollen.I thought I got bit by something, but then a few days later my right foot became swollen by my big toe.So i thought it was kinda weird that maybe something bit me twice so I kept an eye on it.the itching and swelling was spreading and getting more intense.It went from my hands to my feet to my arms then my wrist and my fingers then my knees my ankle...It just kept going around and up and down my whole body.I finally went to the dr and she did some blood work and also gave me steroids.The steroids took the edge off but it was still there itching and swelling,especially towards the end it got really bad.The blood test came back neg so I was like what the heck.Nothing in my daily routine has changed so I'm pretty sure I'm not allergic to anything like that.One night I'm watching a movie and my lips started to swell up.It was pretty scary for me.My breathing was fine so I didn't rush to the hospital.I made an appt with another dr at the same office that I normally go to cause mine wasnt in.He did the same blood work (which came back neg again) put me on more steroids a antihistamine and took me off my lexapro(cold turkey after being on it for a couple years) to see if i was allergic to that.He told me to take the steroids for two days and the antihistamine for 5 days.Well guess what..the itching and swelling came back.Not to mention the terrible withdrawls I was having from not taking my lexapro.I was sitting in the cvs pharmacy floor cause I felt very sick like I was going to pass out.I had my kids with me and I had to call someone to come pick me up cause I couldnt drive home.Anyway it's now 6:30 am and I have not been to sleep at all cause now I'm having issues breathing.It's like I'm breathing through a stirring staw instead of a big gulp/slurpee straw.So I have to wait till the dr. office opens and then I can tell them whats going on and maybe they will do something different and fix me.I'm kinda thinking it's Lupus but I'm not sure.Also I have had a pain in my chest off and on kinda like heartburn or something and a lumpy feeling in my throat sometimes.
    Last edited by Momaof3; 07-30-2012 at 04:12 AM.

Thanks

I am so sorry you are having a tough time. It is really scary when things happen and you don't know why. It is especially scary when things affects your breathing. I have never experienced something like that but I am sure someone will come forward to help with these issues. I do have asthma that developed over the last few years because of the lupus affecting my lungs and my joints do swell but the itching is throwing me off. I am very anxious to hear what the doctor has to say after you talk to him!!!!

We all understand about the feeling sick but nothing coming back in lab work that helps diagnose us. Most of us have experienced that a time or two. It is hard when you feel so bad but everything on the inside looks right. The one piece of advice I can give you is to be your own advocate. If you feel bad you push for them to help yo figure things out so you feel better. This can be a long process but once we finally receive some relief it will make it worth it. You made need to get a second, third, fourth and so on opinions and that is ok.

The good part, you found us and everyone here is amazing and you are never alone. Someone will always be able to help you through the issues you encounter and the support here is amazing! You will truly meet people who have went thought the same thing and that helps soooooooo much!

Please update us once you hear from the doctor and remember, we are here to listen!
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Danica01 For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (07-31-2012)

Thanks

Wow! I can't believe you were pulled off the Lexapro cold turkey!

I have the itching as well, but still not dx'ed with anything AI - going through more and more testing to r/o other things. But this whole nightmare began with itching. Started with certain joints itching and producing a rash; then that same joint would start "burning." I think it started with the wrists and then progressed. I also have really bad plaque psoriasis on my scalp and elbows so my rheum is leaning toward psoriatic arthritis as opposed to lupus. I had one ANA that was high; subsequent ones have been normal. I am going on two years now and still no dx!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Manderson For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (07-31-2012)