Thread: All test negative except border-line anti-nuclear antibodies

Thanks

Default All test negative except border-line anti-nuclear antibodies

Hi, I have many of the Lupus symptoms but all the test show negative; is possible that I have lupus and all the tests (except anti-nuclear antibodies) show negative result?. The Rheumatologist said it might be Fibromyalgia but i have peeling nails and a little bit of face rash so it doesn't completely match.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Ana can be positive for many different reasons, sometimes even healthy people can have a positive ANA from time to time. Did he tell you what the pattern and titer count was on the ANA TEST? Also remember that everyone that deals with Lupus, fibro or any type of AI disease have different symptoms. There is really no "exact match".

On the other hand it often takes months or even years to get the testing to show what some doctors want. Since there is no real "test" for Lupus many other criteria have to be looked at. Keep track of all of your symptoms, keep a list of all tests that come back out of the normal range and find a rhuemy that you are comfortable with. It takes time to sort out what is wrong so, as hard as it is, be patient.

Fibro itself can be a dibilitating disease. Try treating it. You may be surprised at how much the meds help
    Last edited by tgal; 07-30-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: fixing errors
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (07-31-2012)

Thanks

Thanks for answering Tgal; yes, I need to be more patient. The pattern is citoplasmatic.

Another little question; do you guys ever feel that you are losing basic thinking skills and/or find thinking exhausting?
    Last edited by Castell; 07-30-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Castell View Post
    Thanks for answering Tgal; yes, I need to be more patient. The pattern is citoplasmatic.

Another little question; do you guys ever feel that you are losing basic thinking skills and/or find thinking exhausting?
    Ahh.. one of the most common problems we have. We lovingly call it "brain fog". There is a thread here about some of the stupid things we do/have done due to the fog. Click here to read it.

As for the thinking being exhausting, that is another resounding yes. You will notice that sometimes I simply click the "Thanks" button on a post I like because I just don't have it in me to write a post out. My brain just isn't working or it is too tired to write something out and, even if I did it may not be able to be understood!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (07-31-2012)

Thanks

Thanks, you have been a big help...

Another little question; does any of you guys feel emotional detachment? Like never feeling like listening the music or reading the books you like, and also almost none emotional response interacting with your loved ones?

Thanks

Are you sure the ANA pattern is citoplasmatic? I have never heard of that one. Could it have been Centromere pattern (peripheral)?
    Mari

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,108 Posts

Thanks, you have been a big help...

Another little question; does any of you guys feel emotional detachment? Like never feeling like listening the music or reading the books you like, and also almost none emotional response interacting with your loved ones?
    yes this happens to a lot of us.
    you might want to talk to your doctor about anti-depressant medication.
    i use it, not because i am depressed.....
    but because that part of my brain needs this medication.
    i found it does help... but not fix the problem.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Castell (08-01-2012), jmail (07-31-2012), Saysusie (07-31-2012), tgal (07-31-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve.b View Post
    ... because that part of my brain needs this medication.
    i found it does help... but not fix the problem.
    Amen brother. I use a low-dose generic sertaline thing, and it seems to help with the "connection" aspect of the brain. For the longest time, I'd "spin my wheels" while thinking, and apparently, my brain was too fast for me... lol - but actually, I wasn't sleeping much, and was just constantly drained. Now I sleep a bit better (well, except now), and I'm now more "alive" (that's a relative term here). Myself, I don't "notice" the difference much, but the wife says I'm much better. That must mean I'm not so mean anymore... and that's not to say I'm cured, 'cause like Steve says, it helps, but it doesn't fix it. Ask your doc, but keep close tabs on your reaction to it, if you use any med.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Thanks

You guys have been very helpful; if you have the time I have another question: Does the brain fog reduces in lupus remission? Or it stays about the same?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,108 Posts

for me brain fog can change daily.

it is usually worse after i ave mentally exhorted myself.
    or if i am sick, or stressed.