Thread: Weird rash on hands - NOT discoid Lupus....?!

Thanks

Question Weird rash on hands - NOT discoid Lupus....?!

Just wondering if you guys have any insight...my doc was confused by this, but thinks it is related to either the Lupus/Sjogrens or to me being on Methotrexate....it looks NOTHING like discoid lupus.

This past Saturday I developed a weird rash on the backs of my hands. It started out with one area on my thumb - about the size of a corn kernel, raised and bumpy kinda like blisters/tapioca pudding. A few little satellite bumps. Not particularly sore, mildly itchy. Then it had babies - lots of little bumps all across the back of my hand. Then by Monday there were a few on my left hand, too. No redness, very mild itch, some bumps bigger than others. You wouldn't really notice it unless you were looking for it in good light, and then you'd go "Ewwww - what IS that?!"

I'd almost say it was poison ivy if I didn't know better - it doesn't itch as much as that, and I haven't been around any!

Anyhoo - just wondering if anybody else would read this and go "Oh, yeah, I had that...it's 'X'...."

Though I suppose, like everything else, it will turn into ANOTHER FLIPPIN' TRIP TO THE DOCTOR....and MORE &^%$ TESTS.... LOL...my Rheum said if it's not gone by Friday to call and probably come in. So please - if you know how to get rid of it in the next 24 hours, TELL ME!!! :-P

Thanks...

Thanks

Have you tried a steroid cream like triamcinolone (sp)? That stuff can be magic for mystery rashes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Derrie For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (07-18-2012)

Thanks

An itchy rash on the backs of my hands is my fist sign of a flare. I get the rash in various areas of my body and it is fairly persistent, but the backs of my hands are always my first sign of more fun to come.

I use clobetasol, with limited success.

Good luck. I hope it clears up quickly.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to running girl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

When I was first diagnosed with lupus-I assumed discoid as most of my issues(I thought) were skin related.

What my ruhemy explained was that discoid is a specific type of lupus and that even thou I have my fair share of rashes I do not get much of the disc shape rashes that are characteristic of discoid lupus. And I have other issues that I did not realize were lupus related.
    So accordining to him I have garden variety SLE.

I do get patches of rashes as you described-amongst others. Steroid cremes don't help me much and make my skin peel.
    What I have found to help is aloe vera or gold bond anti-itch creme. depending on the rash.

Hope that helps! Niall

7. The Following User Says Thank You to n.mac For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It so happens, that I had the same kind of rash last summer and I was on MTX. I think it actually came from the sun, driving the car, it was mainly the back of my right hand and just a little on my left hand. My rheumy right away said, it came from the MTX and I think he was right, because I don't have it now, I am not on MTX now.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (07-19-2012)