Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doc said test results are normal...Grrr

Thanks

They want me to be fasting when I do my blood work, but they do lipid and glucose on me everytime. I wish my blood glucose was 108... 120 consistantly is diabetes, 100 & over is considered "borderline". I didn't see any TSH, T3 or T4 levels (the usual thyroid stuff), but my eyes crossed while trying to read through the list, and I may have missed 'em...
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Thanks

I was also wondering about my Rheumatoid factor. It says this on one site:

"Rheumatoid factor though is not normally found in the general population (only found in about 1-2% of healthy people)."

mine is 9 which is below 14 but am I supposed to have none at all? Im confused.

Thanks

Differences in labs & their procedures can influence the result. It can show up with sle, sjogren's, ra, etc. A viral infection can make your Rheumatoid Factor go up. Liver infections & disease can cause it. A reading of rheumatoid factor can occur in about 5% (or more) of the population, but only 1% are considered above the "positive" mark. There's also several "classifications" of it, whether it manifests with IgA, IgD, IgE, IgG or IgM immunoglobulins, and whether mono- or polyclonal, which all complicates it for us trying to understand. Not only that, but I may have just described that incorrectly for all I know... but I get confused easy any more, ya know?... tic

Thanks

No evidence of a thyroid panel here.

Thanks

I went back to the docs and they are checking my A1c, TSH and T4, sedimentation rate, non-automated, my vitamin D and for the epstein-barr virus early antigen antibody.

I was working outside in the heat yesterday and this morning i had a sore throat and I felt like i was getting sick. go figure.

Thanks

So my results are in. My vitamin D is low (22) and my A1c is elevated (6). She put me on 1500 of vitamin d a day and told me to eat more lean meats, fish, yatta yatta yatta....I think my A1c is a pre-diabetic number but I am wondering what is causing the low vitamin D. There has to be some underlying cause right?

Thanks

I had to avoid the sun when I was younger because of being "fair-skinned". As I got older, it was "sun-sensitive" (so they said), and now the doc says "SLE". I've had minimal exposure to the sun for over 20 years now (but I'm still not a vampire... tic), and that is one of several ways folks get their vitamin D, by the "conversion" that takes place when the sun strikes your skin. Most of the members of this site are probably low on vitamin D "naturally" speaking, due to having to avoid the sun because of lupus. Vitamin supplements are probably the most common "make-up" method. Dairy products are usually supplemented with vitamin D, and if you can handle them, digestively speaking, I recommend them (especially cheese pizza). However, a lot of folks are actually lactose intolerant, so be careful. Breakfast cereals are another "fortified" source that can be tasty (and full of sugars and carbs... tic). Then there's fish... and cod liver oil (oh *BOY*!!! such childhood memories... sigh).

You need vitamin D to help your body absorb and then regulate other substances and minerals. Being low on it wouldn't necessarily mean anything is particularly "wrong" with something in you, just that you're low. I can't recall off the top of my head, but it's a very high percentage of the world's population is suspected to be low on it. I'd be more worried about the A1C, which ain't a particularly "bad" number either. You're at what's considered the upper range of "normal". But if you hit there again, then the doc may want to start talking with you. The A1C is like your "batting average" for the last couple of months, as far as a percentage of blood in the sugar, but this is the kind of game where you want to sandbag, and hit for a low percentage... Just keep with the doc's consult (you def don't want to go high on vitamin d), and see if he'll check your full thyroid function.