Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doc said test results are normal...Grrr

Thanks

Default Doc said test results are normal...Grrr

You would think I would be happy but this just puts me back to square 1.

2 years ago my ANA was positive and my RNP was 1.3. At this time I had an infestation of bed bugs which is REALLY gross and I got them from staying at a hotel in Vegas. I didn't know I had bed bugs, in fact I thought It was hives which led me to my doctors appointment which led to the positive ANA.

I have a question about that....Could the fact that I had multiple bug bites on me at the time of my blood test make my ANA positive? Like, if I were a "healthy" person with no other issues could the bites have given me positive blood work? I am just wondering because it is negative this time two years later.

I am having joint pain, fatigue, burning skin in random places, heart flutters and a few others I can't remember right now. A Few months ago I was having a lot of chest pressure and pain. I am 28.

I have a follow up appointment in a week and I was wondering where I should go from here? Should I get more testing done? What tests should I get? She checked for ANA, lymes, did a CBC, rhumetoid factor, checked my T3 and T4, and I think maybe checked for some STDs.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Maegan; 07-18-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks

The std test can be used as part of a lupus panel. Did they do any urinalysis on you? Are you currently on any meds, including otc stuff, like ibuprofen? Some meds affect the tests. What happens if you get out in the sun? Have you ever had "blisters" on your face for no apparent reason? Not that that's any indication of lupus or not. I've only done the face thing a half dozen times (and mildly at that) over 20+ years of symptoms. But I can NOT get in the sun light, or strong indirect light, and some flourescants, and not get a skin reaction in various and varied locations. I haven't a clue about bug bites, but maybe someone else does...
    Last edited by jmail; 07-18-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Someone derailed my train of thought!
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Thanks

no they didnt do a urinalysis. I am not on ANY meds. I don't get blisters but I get headaches, and joint pain.

Thanks

Jmail (you may have told me your name, but I can't even remember mine half the time LOL) is right, if the doctor didn't do that test I would ask for it. I have Lupus for over a year now. I never heard of bed bugs that new to me. I do hope you get a good doctor who will listen to you don't give up. I bump this up just in case other member's didn't see your post, maybe they have something new to tell you.
    Hugs
    Liz
    Diagnosed with SLE Lupus May 2nd 2011. I am taken Plaquenil, Pain Killers, muscle relaxers.

Thanks

Hi Maegan,

I guess it's possible that your ANA could be positive because of the bed bugs. I was supposed to have my 3 month follow-up blood work a couple of weeks ago and my doctor put it off because I had a cold. He explained to me that since I was sick it might skew the test results. Also, a completely healthy person can also have a positive ANA (it's a confusing test!).

But what is the most reliable is your symptoms. If you're feeling fatigued and achy then obviously something isn't right. I'm a strong believer in the fact that we know our bodies and know when something is wrong. I would try and keep a log of your symptoms and how you're feeling each day so that next time you go to the doctor you have something concrete to show them (I know I always blank as soon as I get into the office).

I hope you get some answers soon!
    Best wishes,

M

Lupus, Secondary Raynaud's Phenomenon, Pernio (Chilblains)
    Plaquenil, Amlodipine

Thanks

So i actually SAW my results. I can't understand some of them but did they test my thyroid at all here? I don't see RNP anywhere and thats one thing that was positive last time. Do I have to special order that? I have a docs appointment on tuesday so I am trying to figure out what to ask her to test me for. My glucose was 108. I don't like that I am on the low end of a lot of these. Is that bad? I guess the low side is still "normal".

URIC ACID QBA
    URIC ACID 6.4 2.5-7.0 MG/DL
    Therapeutic target for gout patients: <6.0 mg/dL
    CBC (INCLUDES DIFF-PLT) QBA

WHITE BLOOD CELL COUNT 7.6 3.8-10.8 Thousand/uL
    RED BLOOD CELL COUNT 4.71 3.80-5.10 Million/uL
    HEMOGLOBIN 13.0 11.7-15.5 g/dL
    HEMATOCRIT 38.3 35.0-45.0 %
    MCV 81 80-100 fL
    MCH 27.6 27-33 pg
    MCHC 34.0 32-36 g/dL
    PLATELET COUNT 181 140-400 Thousand/uL
    RDW 14.1 11.0-15.0 %
    MPV 10.5 7.5-11.5 fL
    ABSOLUTE NEUTROPHILS 4552 1500-7800 cells/uL
    ABSOLUTE LYMPHOCYTES 2113 850-3900 cells/uL
    ABSOLUTE MONOCYTES 638 200-950 cells/uL
    ABSOLUTE EOSINOPHILS 243 15-500 cells/uL
    ABSOLUTE BASOPHILS 53 0-200 cells/uL
    NEUTROPHILS 59.9 %
    LYMPHOCYTES 27.8 %
    REACTIVE LYMPHOCYTES 0.0 %
    MONOCYTES 8.4 %
    EOSINOPHILS 3.2 %
    BASOPHILS 0.7 %
    COMMENT
    ESR,WESTERGREN QBA
    ESR, WESTERGREN 12 0-20 MM/HR
    ANTI-NUCLEAR AB W-RFX QBA
    ANA SCREEN, IFA NEGATIVE NEGATIVE
    RHEUMATOID FACTOR QBA
    RHEUMATOID FACTOR 9 <14 IU/mL
    RPR (DX) w-REFL TITER AND CONF QBA
    RPR SCREEN Non-Reactive Non-Reactive
    COMP METABOLIC PANEL W-eGFR QBA
    SODIUM 139 135-146 mmol/L
    POTASSIUM 4.5 3.5-5.3 mmol/L
    CHLORIDE 106 98-110 mmol/L

COMP METABOLIC PANEL W-eGFR (Continued)
    CARBON DIOXIDE 21 21-33 mmol/L
    GLUCOSE 108 H 65-99 MG/DL
    UREA NITROGEN 13 7-25 MG/DL
    CREATININE 0.86 0.50-1.10 mg/dL
    BUN/CREATININE RATIO N/A 6-22
    Bun/Creatinine ratio is not reported when the BUN
    and creatinine values are within normal limits.
    CALCIUM 9.3 8.6-10.2 MG/DL
    PROTEIN, TOTAL 6.7 6.2-8.3 G/DL
    ALBUMIN 4.2 3.6-5.1 G/DL
    GLOBULIN, CALCULATED 2.5 2.2-3.9 G/DL
    A/G RATIO 1.7 1.0-2.1
    BILIRUBIN, TOTAL 0.4 0.2-1.2 MG/DL
    AST 15 10-30 U/L
    ALT 17 6-40 U/L
    ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 50 33-115 U/L
    Therapeutic target for gout patients: <6.0 mg/dL
    NON-AFRICAN AMERICAN eGFR 92 > OR = 60 mL/min/1.73m2
    AFRICAN AMERICAN eGFR 107 > OR = 60 mL/min/1.73m2

Thanks

Maegan, I think I can answer one of your questions -- why they didn't do an RNP.

Your tests results say this:

ANTI-NUCLEAR AB W-RFX QBA
    ANA SCREEN, IFA NEGATIVE NEGATIVE

"W-RFX" means "with reflex." What that means is if your ANA is positive, then they will further test the sample for specific antibodies, like RNP. However, if the ANA is negative, they don't test for all the specific antibodies. So, yes, your doctor would have to specially order RNP in addition to an ANA-Reflex panel to get your RNP results when your ANA is negative.

Does that make sense?

(And sorry, I know nothing about glucose.)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Derrie For This Useful Post:

theLword (07-20-2012)

Thanks

makes perfect sense thanks!

Thanks

Hi Maegan,

The results look good! I know that's frustrating when you're trying to figure things out though. You sound seriously just like me. Every time I look at my results I'm always thinking.. but that's low/high in the range so that must be bad. I guess it's normal to be skeptical when you know you're not feeling well. But we have to stop driving ourselves insane! I had a good friend of mine (who is also in med school) tell me that even if something is out of range it doesn't mean that it's something serious or that it means anything drastic. (easier said than done though, right?)

Did you fast before your test? I know that your glucose can be effected if not. Just something to ask your doctor about.

It might be worth it to have your doctor go over all of the results too. You sound similar to me that I like to know what everything is and understand what it means.. it's my body after all.

I hope your doctor can provide some more insight on Tuesday!
    Best wishes,

M

Lupus, Secondary Raynaud's Phenomenon, Pernio (Chilblains)
    Plaquenil, Amlodipine

Thanks

I hadn't eaten yet that day so it was a good 8 hours or more since I had eaten.