Thread: Discoid lupus and then SLE?

Thanks

Default Discoid lupus and then SLE?

I am in the process of being diagnosed as having SLE and for some reason I remembered when I was in high school I had a rash all over my upper torso that looked EXACTLY like discoid lupus. I got diagnosed with a "skin fungus" (they never did a culture) and they gave me some cream and it cleared up in a week. It has never happened again after that. I remember it clearly because it happened on the week I was graduating high school and we went to Ocean city and I remembered being super embarrassed =(

So, my question is, can discoid lupus turn into SLE? Can you only have discoid lesions one time and thats it or do you have them multiple times? I am having a lot of joint pain and swelling at the moment so thats why I went to the doc and thats why i thought of it! Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Sure, discoid can go into SLE. I would think though, that you would have had the "rash" more than once, though I'm no expert at this stuff. You don't remember the cream used, do you? Do you always react to the sun, or just that time you went to the beach for the day? Were you maybe using a sun screen or oil that you reacted to?
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

a person can have discord lupus, and never get sle.
    then another person can have discord lupus, and it does turn into sle.

doctors can not really explain why one does and the other does not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmail View Post
    Sure, discoid can go into SLE. I would think though, that you would have had the "rash" more than once, though I'm no expert at this stuff. You don't remember the cream used, do you? Do you always react to the sun, or just that time you went to the beach for the day? Were you maybe using a sun screen or oil that you reacted to?
    It wasn't a reaction to the sun I don't think. It was BEFORE i went to the ocean. I don't remember what cream it was. I think it was some kind of cortizone cream. I don't get rashes when in the sun I am just REALLY heat sensitive and cant be out in the heat. It is making my whole body hurt, my joints swell, and making me really tired.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I don't think it is so much that discoid turns into SLE as it is that sometimes the discoid rash is found first and easily diagnosed through a biopsy. SLE on the other hand, can take months or years to diagnose because there is no actual test for SLE and it can mimic so many other disease.

As for your issues with the sun, that too is very common in Lupus patients. THere is a sticky at the top of one of the sections that talks about photosensitivity as related to the sun and to ultraviolet lighting. You might find that thread interesting.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~