Thread: Lupus with Chorea

Thanks

Default Lupus with Chorea

Has anyone out there had a movement disorder called chorea with a diagnosis of lupus? Just wondering how rare it is. I was diagonsed with lupus about 6 years ago. Didn't know what was wrong with me. I couldn't control the entire left side of my body. My arms and legs would move without me wanting them to. I saw a Neurologist and was put on a medication for Tourette's syndrome. I was better within a week. I also had vasculitis in my brain and was experiencing a bit of dementia. Now, 6 years later, I have no symptoms though my blood work says I should be sick. I consider myself very lucky. Since my diagnosis I haven't had any flare-ups and in fact later this year I am going to be participating in a figure competition (it's like a more feminine version of women's bodybuilding). If anyone has experienced anything similar I would love to hear from you...

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Jenshu:
    Chorea as a manifestation of SLE is very infrequent (1% of all cases of SLE). Chorea has many underlying causes and Lupus is included in those diseases that can cause Chorea. Some of the other medical illnesses that can cause chorea include anti-cardiolipin antibody syndrome, polycythemia rubra vera, stroke, thyroid disease, and disorders of calcium, glucose or sodium metabolism. Chorea gravidarum affects females about twice as often as males. The condition usually appears after a streptococcal infection, with subsequent rheumatic fever. It may cause valvular disturbances. It is characterised by involuntary purposeless contractions of the muscles of the trunk and extremities, initially in one limb; face movements that simulate smirking expressions, anxiety; impairment of memory and sometimes of speech. May be associated with emotional instability and inappropriate behaviour. Movements cease during sleep. Recovery takes place in 2 to 6 months. Besides in rheumatic fever, it has also been reported in association with hyperthyroidism, systemic lupus erythematosus and some other common erythemas.
    Chorea may be difficult to treat. According to reports, certain anti-epileptic medications may help to improve the symptoms of chorea.
    The mainstay of treatment in adults is the class of neuroleptics, including haloperidol and pimozide.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you
    I wish you the best
    Saysusie

Thanks

Does anyone get tremours. When I get stressed, my arms and legs begin to shake a lot.

Thanks

Thanks for the information on chorea. I've done some research myself, but it's good to hear new information as well. I knew chorea with lupus was rare, but I didn't realize how rare it was. I have also been diagnosed with anti-cardio lipin syndrome, so there is another connection. Once again, thanks for the information and I hope it also helps anyone else out there who experiences this!

Take care!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Alloweyo;
    I've never gotten tremors myself. However, from my research, I have found that it is not uncommon. Especially when accompanied by stress!!
    Perhaps someone who has also experienced it will reply to you :?

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Alleweyo-You are not alone. I thought it was just my nerves or something. It happens when I am stressed or overly tired, so it's a lot lately LOL (the tired part anyway). Have you ever asked your dr about it? I haven't but might bring it up at my next appt. Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone but I, for one, don't have any recommendations on how to deal with it.

Thanks

I've found that petting my puppy or something else to that effect "distracts" my arms.

Thanks

Tremors? Like the shakes? I get that a lot... Also, I get a lot of twitching... Especially recently...
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

This is an old thread but Im hoping my response will be seen..

udx'd Lupus but Dr say thats what it is, but I see Rheumie March 5..Now my son 11 has been showing some of the same symptoms as me, weakness, joint aches, loe grade fever, definite butterfly rash,..Now today I was reading about sntistreptolysin o test his dr. ordered his came back 132 with ref range of 0.0-200 so its good but in my search I came acrossSydenhams chorea, now at 8 my son had a high fever for 2 weeks, dr's didnt know why ,directly after that he developed his first tic it was an eye twitch , after a year he was diagnosed by a Neuro with Tourettes syndrome, he never had a tic in his life until he got that fever, anyway wher im going with this, I came across Chorea associated with SLE , sometimes could be the first sign in young people of SLE.. Im now wondering if his "tourette syndrome" really is just that or maybe it is but caused by SLE to begin with...The Dr did run ANA Titer so well see what they say, but if its anything like me itll be negative ANA with 4+ characteristics of Lupus... Has anyone ever heard of or experienced this chorea with SLE before???
    His Dr. did order an ANA titer last week and as of friday she hadnt gotten results yet..Im curious to see, I mean I dont want him to have it but if so I would like the answer he is always not "feeling good" he says and will have low grade fevers for no reason at all actually a lot more than me, pain in his legs that since he was 3 or so ive been massaging them and his feet. His bones are cracking all the time, hes 11 , butterfly rash, he def has a neurological disorder Im also beg to think he may have Raynauds his hands are a lot like mine.. So ill be paying closer attention...

Thanks

I too get the shakes a lot!! Is this a part of having SLE?