Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P-anca

Thanks

Default P-anca

It has been a while since I have posted on this wonderful forum. I have been keeping in touch with everyone on Facebook and it has been wonderful seeing everyone in their pictures and learning from them!

I have recently started having tests done at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale AZ. I have had Lupus (SLE) for 10 years and have been on many treatments plans over the year. Over the last year I have had a lot of issues with my kidneys. I have reoccurring infection of the kidneys and bladder. I have been on antibiotics off and on since October and the longest I can go without them has been two weeks. I had surgery in April because they thought I had some form of stone because of the reoccurring issues. I did nit have a stone and the problems continue. During my tests at Mayo my urine came back with elevated white blood cells, it was hazy, dark and actually had little things floating in it. My platelet count came back very high, low vitamin d, low calcium, high sed rate and I have a positive p-anca (that si what worries me the most). The positive is that I have a negative ana, antinuclear antibodies finally tested negative and my ds dna looked good. I am just not sure about the tests that came back positive.

I am just wondering if anyone has any idea what the new positive tests mean. Thanks so much and I look forward to seeing if anyone else has gone through the same thing!
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Thanks

From what I saw online p-anca is related to vasculitis. Maybe the blood vessels of your kidney and bladder are inflammed?

http://www.muschealth.com/lab/content.aspx?id=150470

http://www.vasculitisfoundation.org/ANCAtest
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, Interstitial Lung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Fibromyalgia, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 60mg Nifedipine, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, Trazadone, 8mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

My old profile on here http://forum.wehavelupus.com/member.php?22042-ritzbit

Thanks

That is what I found. I was hoping ti would just be another little thing that pops up regarding my Lupus but I am slowly figuring out that this could be a problem all on its own. I am pretty nervous about this. I see the doctor again on August 3 and August 6 so I have a little but of time on my hands. I see the internist in about a week so I will ask him what he thinks about all of this. Thank you sooooo much for the links! I am looking at them as we speak!!!!!

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Thanks

I looked up the anca part of that, and found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-ne...asmic_antibody (any relation to Paul?). But don't worry yourself about it Danica until you have to. There's mention on there about association with ankylosing spondylitis and RA also, which makes sense. Have they checked your hemoglobulin levels?
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Thanks

That you so much for researching it for me. That is exactly what my better half tells me. He tells me no matter what it is it is there and there is nothing we can do about it right now. I am not sure about the hemoglobin levels.......

A1 Globulin 0.3 g/dL 0.1 - 0.3
    A2 Globulin 1.0 g/dL 0.6 - 1.0

Is that what you were talking about???? It looks like I am on the high side of normal. What do you think????

Thanks

I just wanted to update all of you. Tomorrow I will be going to see my internist to discuss the lab work and concerns with both might have at this point. I will keep you posted!

Thanks

I "mis-spoke" there Danica01... hemoglobulin is the part that carries the oxygen in our blood... too many globulins and goolins in us... I meant to "say" immunoglobulins. That's the disease fighting components (antibodies) IgA, IgD, IgE, IgG, & IgM. They can tell all sorts of things about a person's health and what's being fought off with what, by comparing the different levels to each other. Most times, a person *might* get a total immunoglobulin count, which can tell if you're low or high overall, but not the relation between them all. Most times, they're just used as confirmation for diagnosis of different conditions. Probably not beneficial to a vasculitis diagnosis, but might be useful if you're experiencing recurrent infections.

Thanks

Hi Danica,
    I responded to you in another thread, but I'll say it again - welcome back, girl!
    My daughter has recurring kidney stones and often has a lot of crystals in her urine. Have they mentioned crystals to you?
    I hope that the doc had some explanations for you today.
    Keep us updated.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

I made it through the appointment yesterday. The doctor explained that this positive test is found in systemic vasculitis. Now we will branch off of that test and see what antibody I test positive for with the positive P-ANCA. He put me on a months worth of steroids to get me through to the next appointment. He said that will help the Lupus flare and the vasculitis. I have to admit that I am a scared. It seems the systemic vasculitis diseases are very rare and therefore do not have a lot of treatments. Depending on the stage, we may do an intense month of chemo which will make me sick! Along with that I will do 12 months of steroids and 12 months of Bactrim. Also during all this time I will continue with the Methotrexate and may throw in Humara. Time will tell and early August we will have even more answers than we do now! Patience is the key!

Thanks

Good luck with it Danica. My sister had to go through chemo. She said it's not as bad (still ain't easy) as it used to be. You might ask your doc about IVIG Infusion as a treatment also. I don't think you'll find an insurance company that will pay for it for SLE though. It runs between 9 & 12k a treatment. I happen to be CVID (which is why my last rheumy said I couldn't have SLE), and it definitely takes the edge off of just about everything (the IVIG). I haven't had bad issues with my skin since, and my joints hadn't hurt too bad until recently, although my lungs are still deteriorating. I do not see a listing for vasculitis on that web page...

As you say, "Patience is the key!"