Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: malar rash on arms??

Thanks

Default malar rash on arms??

Can you get the same type of malar rash on your arms?

About 3 weeks ago now I got a sunburn (after being in the sun for about an hour, after 5pm). It was horrible, hurt like you wouldn't believe, had blisters/lesions, peeled, etc. Crazy for the small amount of sun I got. After it went away, it keeps coming back. I've been avoiding the sun, wearing sleeves, using sunblock, staying inside until the late evening, and yet everytime I go outside when the sun is out, or when I take a shower, I get red again. Just my arms and chest, where I had the sunburn. Is this the same type of rash as the butterfly rash? Or is it just photo-sensitivity??? Not sure what to make out of it. It doesn't hurt or anything, just gets very flushed (except the white "strap-marks")

Thanks

Hi, Wendy--

You can have a sun-sensitive rash on your arm, for sure. Check out Mayo's article on Polymorphous Light Eruption for an example of a sun-sensitive rash you can get on parts of your body: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pol...uption/DS00911.

But you can't get a malar rash on your arms. A malar rash describes where the rash is, not what the rash looks like. "Malar" means "on the jaw or cheekbones," and thus a malar rash is, by definition, a rash across your face. You can check out wikipedia to read a good, basic definition of a malar rash: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malar_rash.

I know that doesn't completely answer your question, but I wanted to highlight the difference between malar rash and photosensitive rash.

Also, if this rash continues, I'd definitely go see a dermatologist. If it persists, they can biopsy it and get a better idea of what the rash is.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 1,220 Posts

Hi and welcome!

You can't actually get a malar rash on your arms but there are many types of rashes that you can get from Lupus. Derrie explained it well in the post above. I agree, I think a dermatologist is the way to go
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

jolynnhughes (07-09-2012)

Thanks

Thank you for clearing it up! I think it is definitely a photo-sensitivity. Today I was fine, skin-wise. The only time I was in the sun was to go to Target and back, so just walking to and from the car, and then sitting in the car during the drive. I actually went to get more sunblock and a sunhat! And about an hour after I got home, my face felt so sore almost like a windburn feeling. I looked in the mirror and sure enough malar rash is back. Along with my arms and chest (that were covered today) are bright red again. I have an appointment tomorrow with my reg Dr so I'm going to bring it up for sure.

Thanks

Of course, it occurred to me today when I looked in the mirror and I look like a lobster, that it could have been from the lights in Target, right?

Thanks

Yep-- fluorescent lights can trigger a photosensitive rash! Evil, isn't it?

Thanks

I think it's my own personal nightmare, and my husband's dream come true... I'm allergic to Target!! LOL!!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wendya432 For This Useful Post:

E42brchick (07-17-2012), tgal (07-10-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,279 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wendya432 View Post
    I think it's my own personal nightmare, and my husband's dream come true... I'm allergic to Target!! LOL!!
    this may be a way to get people to accept lupus.

promote it as an anti shopping desease lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

tgal (07-17-2012)

Thanks

I'm alergic to shopping *AND* housework, but there's no flourescent lighting involved... but I manage |;^)
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

E42brchick (07-17-2012), wendya432 (07-17-2012)

Thanks

Lol thanks for the laugh guys! I needed it.
    Graves Disease 2007, Ceilac's Disease 2008, Lupus 2012.
    "Не дай мне Бог сойти с ума."
    God, please don't blow my mind. - Aleksandr Pushkin