Thread: Lumps... and Bumps!?!

Thanks

Default Lumps... and Bumps!?!

hey there guys, it's me again, Bianca. Well.. do I have a story for you guys! I'm almost 18, and i went to Muskoka for leadership for 5 days. Picture this - my second night i had to go to the hospital i was sick as a bird! They give me an ECG(EKG) whatever, tell me i have a bad flue and my heart is beating irregular because i'm 'dry'.. i get home, still sick, and end up at my doctor's. She sends me for an EKG and the machine is BROKEN.. go figure.. it's Canada.. Well about a week ago i got these lumps on the back of my neck and head.. they hurt and FEEL like lymph nodes, but they're not! i have an appointment today.. does anyone else have this mysterious bumps as well? It's painful.. thanks in advance

xO - Bianca - xO

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Bianca;
    Lupus can sometimes develop lesions that develop very thick scales, referred to as “hypertrophic” (thickened) or “verrucous” (wart-like) discoid lesions. Discoid lesions may also occur with firm lumps in the fatty tissue underlying the skin. This is called “lupus profundus” or “lupus erythematosus panniculitis” (LEP). LEP may be the only lesions that develop.
    Or, it may be an epidermal cyst: An epidermal cyst, or sebaceous cyst, is a sac beneath the outer layer of the skin that is filled with a cheeselike, greasy material (sebum). These cysts most often appear on the scalp, ears, face, back, or scrotum and are caused by plugged ducts at the site of a hair follicle.
    Or, it may be a lipoma: A lipoma is a growth of fat cells in a thin, fibrous capsule usually found just below the skin. Lipomas are found most often on the torso, neck, upper thighs, upper arms, and armpits, but can occur almost anywhere in the body. One or more lipomas may be present at the same time. Lipomas are the most common noncancerous soft tissue growth.
    Or, it can be something as simple as Folliculitis: an inflammation of one or more hair follicles. The condition may occur anywhere on the skin. In most cases of folliculitis, the damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria staphylococcus (staph).
    Let us know what your doctor says...
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

hey thanks so much for the info! I'll let you know, my appt had to be cancelled, so when i get in i'll let you know asap. thanks again - Bianca -

Thanks

Hi biancavizz! I know this is a late response to your post, but I had to write because, strangely enough, wierd lumps is what sent me to the dr. in the first place. One initially appeared on my forehead. About the size of a nickel. It wasn't red or itchy, just a lump. It was slightly tender to touch. When I went to the Dr., he felt it was a 'deep hive' or urticaria (sp?). He then ran tests, and that's the beginning ... the positive ANA. He then recommended me to a rheumy and within 2 visits I was dx'd w/Lupus. I would occassionally get more lumps. Behind my ear, on my back/spine, and still on my forehead. It only happened a few times. I haven't had any since- that was back in 2002. I remember also describing them feeling like lymph nodes too! I do think stress was somewhat responsible, too!

If you've found out more about it, I'd be interested to know what your Dr. says. Good luck!

Mitch

Thanks

hey Mitch! thanks a lot for your post. I have another meeting with my doc tomorrow before i leave for Italy. The only problem is that my family doctor is not exactly "bright" in the field of Lupus and anything pertaining to it. She's quite... dumb. n/o to her but wouldn't she think of educating herself about it, or at least sending me to the rheumi at least TWICE a year instead of one lol... so describing things like this to her isn't in my best interest haha. I did bring it up to her last week but by that time they had gone away. next time they appear i will be going to her asap and telling her to do a test. Does anyone know a GOOD doctor in Ontario, Canada? HELP lol. Thanks again Mitch, i'll keep what you said in mind!