Thread: Very Sad & Confused ...Help

Thanks

Default Very Sad & Confused ...Help

Hi
    Im new & very confused.
    Im 4 months post pregnancy. I was hospitalized in January with severe preeclampsia. Its 4 months later & I still have protein in my urine so my OB sent to a Nephrologist.
    I've had 3 complete sets of blood work - c3 & c4, bun, albumin, anti ds dna, lupus anticoalag, kidney function all normal/negative but my ANA was positive 1:640. I'm having no symptoms of lupus. Was on procardia for 3 months with severe side effects. I've been told that alot of times pregnancy & its complications can cause a positive ANA test along with various medications. No family history of lupus, arthritis, or any autoimmune disease. I've never even been on medication before now. My Dr thinks its all pregnancy related because I was REALLY sick. Baby is doing great. What does everyone think ??? Should I be the concerned??? I think Im going crazy because everytime I have an itch Im freaking out !!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Please try not to see something serious in every reaction that you are having. You are only four months post-pregnant and your body is still attemtping to get back to it's normal routine (although there are many who say that being pregnant is normal and all other times is abnormal [lol]).
    A positive ANA test by itself is not proof of lupus. There are many illnesses and conditions associated with a positive ANA, including rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren's syndrome, scleroderma, and lupus, as well as infectious diseases such as mononucleosis, subacute bacterial endocarditis, and autoimmune thyroid and liver disease. Certain medications can cause a positive ANA, and many healthy people with no associated illness or condition have a positive ANA. In fact, about 5% of the general population will have a positive ANA yet fewer than 1 in 1,000 have lupus. Thus, at least 95% of the people who have a positive ANA do not have lupus! A positive ANA test can sometimes run in families, even if family members have no evidence of lupus. The ANA is only a test and, like a high cholesterol value, a positive ANA doesn't necessarily equate having a disease. A positive ANA is only an indicator which points in several possible directions, and indicates that further investigation and analysis may be needed.
    Since your baby is healthy and doing fine, you need not worry about the affect of positive ANA on pregnancy. However, this is an issue that you should make your doctor aware of if you decide to become pregnant in the future.
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie