Thread: Hello!

Thanks

Default Hello!

Hi everyone. My wife was diagnosed with a mild form of lupus earlier this year and I've been searching around for a site (like this) where I can get a better understanding of what it's like for her to live with lupus as well as what our lives together will be like living with lupus. She's my world and I want to do everything I can so she can focus on getting through the day with the least amount of difficulty as possible. Is there a portion on this site for partners of a person diagnosed with lupus? If not here, does anyone know of a site to direct me to? Thanks everyone and I look forward to hearing from some of you.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi and welcome to WHL! Your wife is so lucky to have you. Family support plays a huge part in helping relieve the stress of this disease (and stress can make us much more ill).

THere are several people here that are the spouses, partners or loved ones of someone with an Auto Immune Disease. There is a section for friends and family which you can find off of the main page or simply feel free to post anywhere on the forum. Lupus and other Auto Immune Disease are family diseases. They affect everyone that the sick person loves and deals with. Please make yourself at home and welcome to the WHL family!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Hi!
    I want to welcome you to WHL and echo what Mari said. Supportive spouses are wonderful!
    Feel free to read anything that interests you and ask questions. We'll be glad to answer them.
    Also, show this site to your wife, and the two of you can learn together.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

I can attest to the "education" you can get from this site, and I can also vouch for the goodness of the folks here. I can't say enough about how good the people are that frequent here (I'm not in that group, since I don't "frequent", but I'm a nice guy none-the-less... tic - sorry, bad joke). Be sure and read their "sticky" threads here, at the top of most of the sections' page. Since your wife has lupus, you may as well consider yourself as having it also, since it will impact your life. My wife gets frustrated with me sometimes, but it's understandable. A person with SLE can seem perfectly normal one minute (well, maybe just a pinch bonkers), and then be in a "flare-up" in a matter of minutes. Post any questions you have anywhere you think appropriate. If the mods don't like where you post, they can always "Move" the post. They're very patient people here. I don't think you'll find a better overall lupus site than here.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 1,120 Posts

welcome.
    parteners support makes a great deal of difference.

thank you for caring enough to find us.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmail View Post
    I can attest to the "education" you can get from this site, and I can also vouch for the goodness of the folks here. I can't say enough about how good the people are that frequent here (I'm not in that group, since I don't "frequent", but I'm a nice guy none-the-less... tic - sorry, bad joke). Be sure and read their "sticky" threads here, at the top of most of the sections' page. Since your wife has lupus, you may as well consider yourself as having it also, since it will impact your life. My wife gets frustrated with me sometimes, but it's understandable. A person with SLE can seem perfectly normal one minute (well, maybe just a pinch bonkers), and then be in a "flare-up" in a matter of minutes. Post any questions you have anywhere you think appropriate. If the mods don't like where you post, they can always "Move" the post. They're very patient people here. I don't think you'll find a better overall lupus site than here.

You ARE one of our wonderful family members and we would be less if you were not a part of us
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Thank you all for the wonderful responses. My wife is actually the one who showed me this site and I have found so much information already. After reading a thread where someone used the "spoon theory" to explain SLE to someone, I found some youtube videos and articles relating to it. That really explained things so well to me and made me want to pick up more responsibilities around the house. I think what's going to be hard is wrapping my head around what our lives will look like down the road. My wife found some local support groups and once she checks them out, I want to start attending them as well. But all in all, I think this will be my starting point for research and questions. Thanks again everyone and I'm happy to be a part of the community!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hiactionsg For This Useful Post:

steve.b (07-05-2012)

Thanks

welcome to to whl family i have lupus and my husband has been my rock. just remember all is welcome here family and friends as they also suffer from what lupus does it is a adjustment for everyone and we are here for both you and your wife.

Thanks

Welcome! It seriously makes my day when I read posts like this. Your wife is very lucky to have you. Your support in itself will definitely have a positive effect on her health.
    Best wishes,

M

Lupus, Secondary Raynaud's Phenomenon, Pernio (Chilblains)
    Plaquenil, Amlodipine