Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Itching all over and no rash, just a bit red...

Thanks

Default Itching all over and no rash, just a bit red...

I have been itching forever it seems. When I first got diagnosed about 20 years ago I itched. Now I am itching again...It started up in January after stopping benadryl as the DH told me I was snoring. Had taken benadryl for years for itching and to help me sleep. Plaquenil always seemed to keep me a bit awake. The MD ran allergy blood tests... nothing there... then said it was all from the Plaquenil so 4 months without it I am still itching. My Rheumy put me back on it. Thank Goodness since I was having swelling in my hands and pain on walking and brain fog...etc... Then they took me off a breast cancer drug called Arimidex as we thought maybe it's that. Two weekes later still itching. I will probably be put back on that in a couple weeks when I see the oncologist. I am taking Zyrtek currently as it works better to control it. I called the GYN as I was literally itching everywhere..still am..and she called in an antibiotic. No help there. Cortisone creme helps! No rash, so I guess it's not bugs! Hubby and dog aren't itching either so I presume we are safe there. I would like to know if this could be part of Lupus? My Rhuemy didn't order any bloodwork and said the usual..did you change soaps, lotions etc or are you dwelling on it etc. He said make a dermatologist appt...which I did..OCTOBER!!! UGH!!! I also have a new MD scheduled in late July and an allergist in mid August.... I feel like calling the Rheumatologist and asking for the ds-anti DNA antibody test to be run along with c-reactive protiens.I feel like he's putting me off in a way. Been with this guy for years too! Anyone else have inscessant itching?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Thankfully that is not one of the problems that I have however we all have Lupus a bit differently AND there is the possibility that you are one of the ones that have multiple AI diseases and I know some of those that cause severely dry skin and/or itching. You might want to think about seeing a dermatologist about this one.

Let us know what you find out!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

YES! Itchy skin drives me crazy. I often itch all over while watching TV or reading and it amuses my hubby to watch me suddenly reaching for an itch.
    It's usually worse at night. He laughs then too, because all he has to do is barely touch my back and it sets off the itching. He's learned to just automatically start gently scratching my back for me.
    I'm taking Plaquenil, but I had these itches before I started taking the med, so I don't blame it.
    Let me know if your allergist or dermatologist have any answers for you.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Itchie skin can be from the blood vessels or nerves also, so the rheumy could check a couple of other things. Are you able to control your fingers OK, are you getting muscle twitches, etc.? Don't talk yourself into that now... tic = Benadryl makes me itch. I have to do a sack of that stuff everytime they do the monthly IVIG treatment. My legs twitch, and I get almost like "nervous", sort of like a junky you'd see on a TV show... Then I fall asleep... lol - Are your joints inflamed? I'll get to itching all over when I'm having a bad day with the back/fingers/knees/toes/etc. swelling up.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmail View Post
    Itchie skin can be from the blood vessels or nerves also, so the rheumy could check a couple of other things. Are you able to control your fingers OK, are you getting muscle twitches, etc.? Don't talk yourself into that now... tic = Benadryl makes me itch. I have to do a sack of that stuff everytime they do the monthly IVIG treatment. My legs twitch, and I get almost like "nervous", sort of like a junky you'd see on a TV show... Then I fall asleep... lol - Are your joints inflamed? I'll get to itching all over when I'm having a bad day with the back/fingers/knees/toes/etc. swelling up.
    My fingers have been swelling and knees off and on. The Itching started first when I quit the benedryl months ago. I think it has probably always been a symptom but I have kept it under wraps with the benedryl for years. Then they took me off Plaquenil and the swellings and pain started. I am back on the Plaquenil now as that was not the cause of the itching. I will be seeing a dermatologist, an allergist and a new MD over the next few months. So I guess I might get an answer sometime in the latter part of the year! LOL

Thanks

My youngest is mildly autistic (aspergers) and is constantly itching. His is from yeast & "leaky gut". He doesn't process a lot of foods correctly so passes complex carbohydrates into his blood stream (the "leaky gut"), which then causes an almost alergic type reaction. If you have IBS or worse, that may contribute to your situation. My son also can't keep his hands off of candy (worse than me), and that grows yeast in him. We're constantly fighting with Desenex and other products of that ilk. Yeast could also be a contributor, so check those out. btw, a few sprays of Bactine or similar can do wonders for the itch sometimes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmail View Post
    This describes me perfectly. I've had cold, tingling, numb feet and toes for years and my leg muscles spasm and are constantly contracted. The rheumy ignores it and the neuro said that I have nothing wrong when I asked about peripheral neuropathy.
    Interesting that you asked about controlling the fingers. My hands have recently started getting cold and numb too and I often drop things when I can't control the hands well.
    I guess that it's all connected, but my rheumy doesn't seem to believe that.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

I had the candida blood test and several others run a few months ago when the itching started and they all came back negative. I haven't a clue at this point. Sprayed and vacuumed the mattress (didn't see anything), washed the dog and I in Adam's flea, tick and lice shampoo...just for good measure...LOL and have cleaned and dusted the entire house very thoroughly. Now I can say I am definitely OCD!!! I think I am having a flare at this point. I see the allergist in August...hoping sooner as he has a cancellation list. My sister had itching years ago and was allergic to dusts, molds, pollens, cedar, lettuce..of all things and a few other oddities. She took shots and it improved. She does have to get shots every so often though to fight the allergies.I'm sure I probably have someallergies of some sort. I'm going to make a list of common stuff I use and eat etc. so maybe they can test for them along with environmental stuff. I try to stay away from sugar as much as I can. Being over 50 and having had breast cancer, I can't afford to gain any weight. This itch is so severe that it wakes me up from a benedryl comma and my BP goes sky high due to the intensity. I don't have high blood pressure either! LOL...Oh well, If I ever figure it out, I'll let you all know!

Thanks

I have Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroiditis. The rheumy said this is what is causing my dermagraphia (severe itching and friction-induced hives). It also causes cold, tingly hands and feet. You might have your thyroid antibodies checked. In the beginning, your thyroid hormone levels may not look off, so you must ask specifically for the thyroid antibody test.

The itching comes when I am tired or stressed. Jewelry is the biggest trigger! When I'm itchy, absolutely no jewelry can touch my skin. Sometimes I looked like I've been mugged -- red streaks all over my neck, etc. As soon as I can get myself to stop scratching or get the jewelry off, it will subside, and the hive-like streaks will go away. It's very strange.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jolynnhughes For This Useful Post:

jmail (07-07-2012), Manderson (07-06-2012)

Thanks

jmail, you mentioned fingers twitching...I have a tremor that I was probably born with. It has gotten worse as I've gotten older. It can be a real bugger sometimes. Thank you for sharing!
    Linda